Why the EQ C doesnt have a frunk - Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Why the EQ C doesnt have a frunk

Due to the lack of an ICE, most electrics feature both a front and rear trunk. However the EQ C lacks this feature as under the bonnet you'll find a front drive module. This houses the motor and single speed transmission together, which sits in a cradle that's isolated with rubber mounts. This was done as a way of streamlining production, as it doesn't require Mercedes to create a totally different layout than its current models.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:50 PM

this should have positive effects on reliability because there's less happening and they have a larger number of vehicles to analyze for issues that won't be exclusive to certain models
however, if something does go wrong, it can go equally as bad.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 02:09 PM

If it means less turn around time for orders and quicker repairs then this was clearly the right way to go. Although it changes from model to model, I've always found the front truck to be largely unhelpful anyways.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah they have never offered much in terms of utility to begin with, so I don't think its a big area of concern. We'll have to wait on official cargo area specs to see how the EQC compares to rivals.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Mercedes Benz has other models to fill that void and as we see more EV's come to market that will prove to be true, its one advantage Mercedes has over most others.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 10:19 AM

So long as boot space is comparable, I doubt that most owners will even notice. This universal design approach could very well make the difference when it comes to keeping up with production.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Fact is the EQ C has to be versatility and apparently to fit that requirement it will be coming with 500-liters in rear cargo space, segment constraints are a big one and MB is subject to it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

500 liters of rear cargo space is less than both the I-Pace and Model X. Mercedes isn't making it easy for buyers to choose this over any of the other upcoming electric SUV's.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:51 PM

I think its enough for the average consumer that doesn't need to carry much, if they have real cargo demands, Mercedes has bigger SUV's to support that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I think people will gladly sacrifice a bit of a utility if it means less maintenance and cheaper running costs. All of these premium electric SUV's are very comparable in terms of price and performance, so its going to boil down to brand preference.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page