Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's good, it's better than good, It's an experience in of itself that continues to please after a good few miles.

I find the thread comparing previous Tesla experiences very interesting. I don't have that reference point but can see a few things that maybe are worth sharing. Mainly I guess for those considering buying and even as input for MB to improve things further. Although I doubt there will be a great deal of interest in that later point.

We are spending a good bit of time with the manual and working though settings. It's largely logical and well thought out.

Second User - Adding a second user is a bit of a faff. Well to do it properly with all the biometrics, automatic positioning etc. Once set, it's very good. But took a good hour of meddling with the app and car and understanding the base logic. Once you got that then it's a breeze. And indeed a call within the car to the Mercedes support via the support button. Have to say that was very good. Responsive and quick and clear.

Biometrics - Setting the 2nd User biometrics worked very nicely .... once we found it. Eventually we found it under the Mercedes App's button. Wouldn't it be more logical under 'settings'?

Media Player - I find we have a lot of track skips under Tidal. The phone is a decent and recent one and with a decent provider and 5G enabled. But it skips tracks. It will play one, loose interest and jump to the next. Sometimes it's occasional, sometimes frequent. I have only tried it under Tidal and do not know if that extends to Spotify or Amazon HD. More testing needed but it spoils an otherwise pleasing experience. no such problem with radio function.

Doors - With the missing comfort door function discussion, I've lost track if the doors have 'soft close'. I've not seen it yet and unsure if it's on the car or not.

Fragrance Module - It's definitely missing from my car. I know it's small but a shame to be missing on a flagship when it's on lower models. I'm told it's to do with the filtration system but it sounds a bit thin to me.

Charging Lighting - A big issue. It's fine at a major charging station of course ... lots of light and space. But try doing it on a hillside at a remote hotel with the charger in pitch black and bad weather. It's a challenge. The port itself is poorly lit. The status LED's work nicely but no actually illumination, just status reporting. And to actually see the destination charger connections and instructions is near impossible. The addition of a cheap simple internal boot lid diffused LED light that can be rotated towards the charger would be insignificant cost wise and a significant benefit. I lost near on an hour trying to charge last weekend. Partly out of inexperience for sure but also because I simply could not see the instructions printed on the lower front section of the hotel charger or the ports and QR codes on the sides of the unit. And using a smart phone torch only partly addresses that as the QR scanner needs differing light levels to operate. Painful. And could the cable itself be modified to include halo induction lighting at each end? That would be super useful. And cheap I'd have thought. Surprised there not an after market add on to do this.

Navigation - Excellent so far. Even on very minor roads. And the speed reporting also.

HUD - Although the navigation is excellent, I'm find that the HUD AR is slower and sometimes is significantly behind the main NAV screen. It has steered me wrong a good few times. And needless to say it's always when you least need it. It seems struggle most on roundabouts. And the delays are not small, they can be lengthy. Eventually it gets it's act together and resets but it spoils an otherwise good system

Hi Mercedes - I saw a number of clown reviews on Youtube with highly amusing reviewers deliberately trying to trip up the voice assistant. I have to say, our experience so far has been quite the reverse. It's been surprisingly good. I've got quite used to checking my tyre pressures just by asking the question. It's proven to be very good so far.

Dash Cam - Struggling so far to get to grips with this. I bought the add on app to record journey sections. I bought it but cannot find it yet :) ... again not necessarily any problem with functionality but more likely more time needing to be invested learning.

Brakes - Read a good few folks saying they feel soft. I don't experience that so far although I did on the couple of demo units we used early on. The delivered car a lot less so.

Plug & Charge - What a joy. Although charging on destination chargers in poor light is awkward, pulling up at an Ionity charger and simply connecting the cable is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure what I should be expecting but I saw 186kw charge rate I think it was on the dash display and it filled from roughly 46% to full in approximately 35 minutes I think it was. Very nice and very easy.

So a week in and it's nice. Very nice. As I say, I don't have any EV comparison to make bar the Audi GT. But I'd be surprised if anything bar maybe the Lucid touches this thing. And whilst I enjoyed the GT when we demo'ed it (enough to put one on order but subsequently cancel) the EQS is a far better package.

Interested to read on any frustrations or design improvements you might see or have.

· Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post this Mkultra40! I am hoping to order an EQE SUV when available. I realize it's not quite the EQS "land-yacht", but many of your points are still relevant for me. I'm particularly concerned about taking delivery of a car with ordered, but missing equipment. I hope this is not what you are facing with the Dash Cam and the Fragrance options. I think your idea about a halo-light ring at the end of the charging cable is excellent! I hope MB reads this stuff and considers such a feature.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to post this Mkultra40! I am hoping to order an EQE SUV when available. I realize it's not quite the EQS "land-yacht", but many of your points are still relevant for me. I'm particularly concerned about taking delivery of a car with ordered, but missing equipment. I hope this is not what you are facing with the Dash Cam and the Fragrance options. I think your idea about a halo-light ring at the end of the charging cable is excellent! I hope MB reads this stuff and considers such a feature.
Hi Scott. No the Dash Cam is definitely in there, I'm just a little lame on finding it. once I do I'm sure it will be a breeze.

MB sell (can you believe they actually sell this as an option) a package within the Mercedes Me app to record longer journeys. I bought it and a large USB device. But I just need spend a little time in the learning.

But the fragrance model is definitely missing. This annoyed me a good deal. I asked repeatedly about it in the run up to taking it during the ordering process and the answer was always "yes it's in" until a couple of weeks before pick up and then it was more "It's there but we can't find it yet". Low and behold on collection day "it's not in there"!

MB have a great hard product. But they market and produce a large amount of media that shows functions that never made it to the car. Or at least the 2022/23 version of the car. 22kw charger option is another very annoying one for those of us in Europe wanting to blast juice into the car at speed. I had the same sell lines .... yes it's in, then yes but it's and option, running down to 'No it's not available' at a time too late to impact meaningful decisions.

Yes all things you can get away with. But this is a £130 K car. Why the hell should we do without them?

Anyway, yes be very careful at the options, the dealer assumptions and the specific market options. Many are supposed in the car but then are not legal for the local market. We have a good few of those in the UK.

The cable ends halo lighting seems such an easy thing and such a useful thing. Being from Northern Europe you will understand the visibility issue I'm on about. Probably in California it's a little less of an issue :) You simply cannot see anything. A rubberised built in directional light at each end of the cable seems such an easy ask that it's amazing it does not exist by now.

The photos below look very clear by photo and flash but this was at a rather nice hotel but one miles from anywhere on a hill with absolutely zero light and where a black hole above it sucked all light into it!

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Communication Device Telephony Audio equipment Gadget Portable communications device

· Registered
20 Posts
It's good, it's better than good, It's an experience in of itself that continues to please after a good few miles.

I find the thread comparing previous Tesla experiences very interesting. I don't have that reference point but can see a few things that maybe are worth sharing. Mainly I guess for those considering buying and even as input for MB to improve things further. Although I doubt there will be a great deal of interest in that later point.

We are spending a good bit of time with the manual and working though settings. It's largely logical and well thought out.

Second User - Adding a second user is a bit of a faff. Well to do it properly with all the biometrics, automatic positioning etc. Once set, it's very good. But took a good hour of meddling with the app and car and understanding the base logic. Once you got that then it's a breeze. And indeed a call within the car to the Mercedes support via the support button. Have to say that was very good. Responsive and quick and clear.

Biometrics - Setting the 2nd User biometrics worked very nicely .... once we found it. Eventually we found it under the Mercedes App's button. Wouldn't it be more logical under 'settings'?

Media Player - I find we have a lot of track skips under Tidal. The phone is a decent and recent one and with a decent provider and 5G enabled. But it skips tracks. It will play one, loose interest and jump to the next. Sometimes it's occasional, sometimes frequent. I have only tried it under Tidal and do not know if that extends to Spotify or Amazon HD. More testing needed but it spoils an otherwise pleasing experience. no such problem with radio function.

Doors - With the missing comfort door function discussion, I've lost track if the doors have 'soft close'. I've not seen it yet and unsure if it's on the car or not.

Fragrance Module - It's definitely missing from my car. I know it's small but a shame to be missing on a flagship when it's on lower models. I'm told it's to do with the filtration system but it sounds a bit thin to me.

Charging Lighting - A big issue. It's fine at a major charging station of course ... lots of light and space. But try doing it on a hillside at a remote hotel with the charger in pitch black and bad weather. It's a challenge. The port itself is poorly lit. The status LED's work nicely but no actually illumination, just status reporting. And to actually see the destination charger connections and instructions is near impossible. The addition of a cheap simple internal boot lid diffused LED light that can be rotated towards the charger would be insignificant cost wise and a significant benefit. I lost near on an hour trying to charge last weekend. Partly out of inexperience for sure but also because I simply could not see the instructions printed on the lower front section of the hotel charger or the ports and QR codes on the sides of the unit. And using a smart phone torch only partly addresses that as the QR scanner needs differing light levels to operate. Painful. And could the cable itself be modified to include halo induction lighting at each end? That would be super useful. And cheap I'd have thought. Surprised there not an after market add on to do this.

Navigation - Excellent so far. Even on very minor roads. And the speed reporting also.

HUD - Although the navigation is excellent, I'm find that the HUD AR is slower and sometimes is significantly behind the main NAV screen. It has steered me wrong a good few times. And needless to say it's always when you least need it. It seems struggle most on roundabouts. And the delays are not small, they can be lengthy. Eventually it gets it's act together and resets but it spoils an otherwise good system

Hi Mercedes - I saw a number of clown reviews on Youtube with highly amusing reviewers deliberately trying to trip up the voice assistant. I have to say, our experience so far has been quite the reverse. It's been surprisingly good. I've got quite used to checking my tyre pressures just by asking the question. It's proven to be very good so far.

Dash Cam - Struggling so far to get to grips with this. I bought the add on app to record journey sections. I bought it but cannot find it yet :) ... again not necessarily any problem with functionality but more likely more time needing to be invested learning.

Brakes - Read a good few folks saying they feel soft. I don't experience that so far although I did on the couple of demo units we used early on. The delivered car a lot less so.

Plug & Charge - What a joy. Although charging on destination chargers in poor light is awkward, pulling up at an Ionity charger and simply connecting the cable is a beautiful thing. I'm not sure what I should be expecting but I saw 186kw charge rate I think it was on the dash display and it filled from roughly 46% to full in approximately 35 minutes I think it was. Very nice and very easy.

So a week in and it's nice. Very nice. As I say, I don't have any EV comparison to make bar the Audi GT. But I'd be surprised if anything bar maybe the Lucid touches this thing. And whilst I enjoyed the GT when we demo'ed it (enough to put one on order but subsequently cancel) the EQS is a far better package.

Interested to read on any frustrations or design improvements you might see or have.
Fragrance

It is definitely missing but I don't think it was supposed to be. I had it in my old S500 coupe and was looking forward to having it in my EQS - I liked it. If you put your hand in the glove compartment and feel around where it should you you will find the receptacle for the "flacon" of perfume, but it is covered up with carpet / liner. So it seems they designed the car to have it, but then for some reason decided not to install it.

Dashcam

This is my biggest gripe. I paid to download the dashcam. That all worked instantly - they took my money and the dashcam downloaded automatically to the car. Then I found out you need to provide your own memory so I bought a huge USB C memory stick and put it in one of the ports in the centre console. The dashcam found it straight away and when I switch the dashcam on it downloads straight to it. All good so far. The HUGE problem is that you have to switch the dashcam on manually every time you want it to turn on. Not like a normal dashcam that is always on automatically by default. I have checked with Mercedes ME who told me to go to the dealer. I did that and they knew nothing about it. I then did a lot of research and it seems this is the way it "works" - others have confirmed they have to actively turn it on for every journey. It is something to do with some spurious legal issue to do with consent for recording others, but if all dashcams work automatically I don't see why the MB one has to work this way.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fragrance

It is definitely missing but I don't think it was supposed to be. I had it in my old S500 coupe and was looking forward to having it in my EQS - I liked it. If you put your hand in the glove compartment and feel around where it should you you will find the receptacle for the "flacon" of perfume, but it is covered up with carpet / liner. So it seems they designed the car to have it, but then for some reason decided not to install it.

Dashcam

This is my biggest gripe. I paid to download the dashcam. That all worked instantly - they took my money and the dashcam downloaded automatically to the car. Then I found out you need to provide your own memory so I bought a huge USB C memory stick and put it in one of the ports in the centre console. The dashcam found it straight away and when I switch the dashcam on it downloads straight to it. All good so far. The HUGE problem is that you have to switch the dashcam on manually every time you want it to turn on. Not like a normal dashcam that is always on automatically by default. I have checked with Mercedes ME who told me to go to the dealer. I did that and they knew nothing about it. I then did a lot of research and it seems this is the way it "works" - others have confirmed they have to actively turn it on for every journey. It is something to do with some spurious legal issue to do with consent for recording others, but if all dashcams work automatically I don't see why the MB one has to work this way.
Agree on both ... but why the hell promote it (the fragrance) if then do a 180 deg U turn? I just don't get it ... it's seems designed to frustrate the purchaser. Especially higher end unit buyers.

The dashcam, I did precisely what you did. In fairness I did know I had to buy the storage and that it required optioning each time. It's still not great but I did know. But again it's an improvement item ... a yes/no to automate prolonged dashcam recording .... and again surely a SW relatively easy thing to do. Worth to add to the 'Suggested Improvements' list Nick.

· Registered
2019 A200 Mountain Gray also on Order Sept22 EQA 300 AMG Mountain Gray
22 Posts
The Dashcam sadly a MB design flaw as its always manual and you have to start it every time you want to record a journey. Not sure why MB decided this was the best way to go. I assumed it was a limitation of the MBUX on my A200 which will be the same MBUX version on my yet to be delivered EQA however the EQS uses a new version of the MBUX and sounds like the Dashcam limitations are still present.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Dashcam sadly a MB design flaw as its always manual and you have to start it every time you want to record a journey. Not sure why MB decided this was the best way to go. I assumed it was a limitation of the MBUX on my A200 which will be the same MBUX version on my yet to be delivered EQA however the EQS uses a new version of the MBUX and sounds like the Dashcam limitations are still present.
I wonder why they don't just put a SW option in to option it auto on or auto off?

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Fragrance

Dashcam

Nick with your OK, I will add your points to the 'Improvements' thread. I totally agree all the points you have mentioned, mirrors my experience ... it seems there is some degree of commonality in people's thinking. I live in the (probably vein hope) to someone from Mercedes may actually read and digest some of this stuff. I may even send the Suggested Improvements thread to MB-CAC so they can at least be aware. As one of the guys earlier said, a lot appears to be software amendments rather than hardware fixes. You would think this is way more achievable stuff with minimal cost/time effort. You never know.

· Registered
3 Posts
still have my teslaX there is quite a difference..i liken it to buying the entry level iphone & the Max Pro. the cars are 2 very different species ! Tesla is all tech & MB is all strength & luxury. albeit my 580eqs has minimal luxury features in the model we purchased off the floor. I miss the tech very much but germany has always tried to overcontrol the driver. The mb is a quieter car & i believe a bit more smoother (both cars have 21” tires) tesla seats more comfy.. i have the capt chairs in back also. Carplay is a joke imo. i can get spotify with T & also have in car wifi( monthly $10) but it’s worth it
Better games offered..backgammon & solitaire.these are there NO extra fee or wifi needed.seriously how did the germans miss this?
Annoying to have the extra step to lock the car to turn off completely!!
i am not new to MB had one ever since ‘82 T just 3.5 yrs into… more fun but my big battery failed 3 wks ago …taking them about 6wks to fix it.. they had no batts in stock.. i guess this is the way it goes but i am still EV all the way
i understand updates are few and far btween.. that’s very disappointing b/c the car needs to be kept technologically up with other evs. i left mb b/c the car became very boring.. i hope they stay current & upwardly mobile connected

1 - 9 of 9 Posts