Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m loving driving with one pedal but every time I turn the car on it resets to D.
So I have to use the paddle to select D—.
Is there a way to change the default setting for this?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi. No obvious way though I am all ears. I am guessing this restriction might be programmed into the software for compliance with government (WLTP) rating in some countries anyway. Ironic that the rating requirement might make efficiency worse in some cases if people aren't going to use the most efficient mode because of the extra steps needed. Maybe mention it to dealer is there any way it can be changed by plugging in dealer equipment and checking options. Interesting if find way. Else maybe develop a routine where it is hardly noticed like doing it by habit when putting on seatbelt or simultaneously while putting into drive with other hand. See here Thomas trying to understand the why, even for upcoming models too -

·
Registered
EQA 300
79 Posts
It seems to me that the D setting makes the car behave much like an ICE car as regards braking so having that as the default setting is a good idea for drivers new to electrics so they have time to get used to the differences. Having D+ as a default for example, could result in a novice electric car driver having an accident due to the car freewheeling when they were expecting engine braking and a default D- setting could give a fierce deceleration on lifting off the accelerator too quickly when a more gradual slowdown has been expected, a default D auto setting could also be a problem as I find the amount of braking you get is a bit unpredictable and I usually select D or D- in town traffic for that reason. It’s not as if it requires a lot of effort to change the setting by the paddle, just an action you soon get used to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems to me that the D setting makes the car behave much like an ICE car as regards braking so having that as the default setting is a good idea for drivers new to electrics so they have time to get used to the differences. Having D+ as a default for example, could result in a novice electric car driver having an accident due to the car freewheeling when they were expecting engine braking and a default D- setting could give a fierce deceleration on lifting off the accelerator too quickly when a more gradual slowdown has been expected, a default D auto setting could also be a problem as I find the amount of braking you get is a bit unpredictable and I usually select D or D- in town traffic for that reason. It’s not as if it requires a lot of effort to change the setting by the paddle, just an action you soon get used to.
It might be a profile thing, I have mine set to DAuto and it always starts up in that setting, try saving your profile with it set and see if that saves it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think you can set it the settings, but what I meant was that if you have it set to your preferred option then save your profile, it seems to start up in that setting. That's what mine did with D-Auto, so it may save it in the background.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that, EddieHeli. I am currently driving in Eco (low speed suburban driving) and set the regen to D-. When I begin a journey, the prompt to continue in Eco shows on the top left of the left hand screen, which I tap to accept, but I still have to remember to set D- manually. In other words, it doesn't seem to remember that I was driving in EcoD-.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that, EddieHeli. I am currently driving in Eco (low speed suburban driving) and set the regen to D-. When I begin a journey, the prompt to continue in Eco shows on the top left of the left hand screen, which I tap to accept, but I still have to remember to set D- manually. In other words, it doesn't seem to remember that I was driving in EcoD-.
Maybe it's only D Auto that gets remembered, I may do some experimenting when I have time. I know that if I change when driving, for instance switching to D-- in hilly terrain and go back to D Auto, it always starts up in D Auto. I'll see what happens if I leave it in another setting when switching off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My Owner's Manual (page 145) says the following:
"When the vehicle is started again, the following recuperation level is set:
D Auto: if D Auto was selected previously.
D: if a recuperation level other than D Auto was selected previously."
It then explains the processes to set other levels of recuperation. Your experience, EddieHeli, seems to be consistent with the D Auto aspect of this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Owner's Manual (page 145) says the following:
"When the vehicle is started again, the following recuperation level is set:
D Auto: if D Auto was selected previously.
D: if a recuperation level other than D Auto was selected previously."
It then explains the processes to set other levels of recuperation. Your experience, EddieHeli, seems to be consistent with the D Auto aspect of this.
Yep, that seems to explain it then. I have found D Auto to be great for everyday driving and only change to max regen when going down steep hills.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife just took delivery of her EQB 300 yesterday here in Honolulu. She prefers the D+ mode and wanted to know how to have her car default to that setting. It seems you all have answered that question for me. She also wants to know how to have the radio in the off position when she starts the car. She does not like the radio to be on when she starts teh car. We are loving this vehicle so far though. Mahalo to you all for this forum.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Has your wife tried D Auto? As the thread above says, other EQ Mercedes are able to default to that setting.

Personally, one aspect of my EQA250 which appeals to me is the ability to alter the regenerative braking level according to the conditions at the time. I use the paddles to, for instance, change from D+ or D to D- or D-- as I approach a roundabout or stop sign (in urban driving). Depending on the circumstances - and other traffic - as I round a roundabout, I often change from D- to D or D+ as I exit. I enjoy this interactive driving experience - and economical use of the brakes - but, I appreciate, it's not for everyone.

I'm not sure about the radio question. I've never used Favourites; perhaps 'low volume on start up' can be configured in there somehow. Otherwise, to mute the radio, I'd just press either rotary volume wheel after pressing the start button. Or do the same just prior to turning the car off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has your wife tried D Auto? As the thread above says, other EQ Mercedes are able to default to that setting.

Personally, one aspect of my EQA250 which appeals to me is the ability to alter the regenerative braking level according to the conditions at the time. I use the paddles to, for instance, change from D+ or D to D- or D-- as I approach a roundabout or stop sign (in urban driving). Depending on the circumstances - and other traffic - as I round a roundabout, I often change from D- to D or D+ as I exit. I enjoy this interactive driving experience - and economical use of the brakes - but, I appreciate, it's not for everyone.

I'm not sure about the radio question. I've never used Favourites; perhaps 'low volume on start up' can be configured in there somehow. Otherwise, to mute the radio, I'd just press either rotary volume wheel after pressing the start button. Or do the same just prior to turning the car off?
Thanks for your post. She did try D Auto but she seems to prefer the D+ setting and will just learn to live with changing it as she drives. I think she figured out the radio setting also but I am not sure what she did on that item yet. She is loving her vehicle and we are adjusting to the EV life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts