Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question.

I ordered mine end of January but as of today (April 9th) not even a build date let alone a delivery date.

I do seemed cursed with such things but is anyone getting indications of build and delivery? Formal or informal?

Miserable process buying a new car. Least it is for me in the UK

·
Registered
29 Posts
We are in Hungary. We placed the order in January, got a build date in late March for 21 April, and supposedly it is on its way here now. The dealer is circumspect about anything and there is no way for me to check online for Hungarian orders. Only the dealer can do that. My impression is that dealers really have no clue what to say about it and are more or less in the dark. But, if I provoke them to check they do it and then I get some meager data. We have now paid most of the price except for the remaining $10k or so which cannot be determined until it finishes the Hungarian registration process. Apparently, it goes from Stuttgart to Budapest (if they have a truckload ready so it might have to wait for the truck to get full) and starts the registration/inspection process which takes over a week (and costs roughly $500) then it will get shipped here to our nearest dealer in Veszprem roughly 150km west of Budapest. When it leaves Budapest they "promise" to call us but otherwise I have been asked to not bother them about it. So, at the moment we are in the dark. I did ask how many EQS have been sold in Hungary and the number is currently 1 (ours). What blows my mind is the treatment we get from the dealer. You would think we are doing them a big favor by buying the car. I am still in shock as to the price for our 450+ which came in at 60.3 million HUF (at the currency exchange rate when we paid it comes in at roughly $172k). We had to make $10k transfers from 2 different accounts every 4 days to get around the US limits on overseas currency transactions. that took a while and again no information was received as to whether they got the money or not unless I pried it out of them. However, price-wise the Porsche Taycan and Audi Etron RS GT come in a bit higher and the Tesla Model S a bit lower but all are in the same ballpark price. My wife hates all of them and is set on the EQS only as it is the most comfortable. She despises the Teslas. However, even so, the Tesla S is unavailable in Europe for at least 18 months so out of the picture anyway. Hungary's 27% VAT is the killer on the price though. We will see if it arrives sometime this week what the final cost is and what we will have to pay for insurance. The estimate for delivery when we ordered in January was for early May so it is correct so far barring unforeseen delays such as Hungarian inspection/registration which seems to be a bureaucratic nightmare.

Hungary also gives no credit for vehicles costing above 15 million HUF and nothing for installing a charge power supply. I was also told when we ordered we couldn't get the 22KW charge option. However, reading in-depth this is probably good as high charging rates reduces the battery life. Reading the downloaded owner's manual in finite detail reveals also they don't recommend using DC charging too often as again it reduces battery life and unless long distance travel is anticipated to never charge above 80% or let it fall below 20%. I plan to use EcoCharge mode unless we are traveling. I am waiting for E.On guy to come install the 3-phase circuit to our house (we already have 3-phase coming in but not to the garage) and have already received an 11KW charge supply system which will get installed as well. Hungary doesn't allow night rates for EV charging yet and maybe never. By Hungarian law, it is only permitted for water heaters. We drive roughly 40km a week so charging isn't a big issue for us. We do make several long trips a year though (not the past 2 years though) so will use the rapid charge on trips. There aren't any near us at all so I doubt I can check this until our first trip. I am praying this isn't a big issue traveling and it was the reason I went with the 450+ for the longer range. No clue about the Mercedes.Me charging and if we get any free charging at all. The dealer knows nothing at all about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We are in Hungary. We placed the order in January, got a build date in late March for 21 April, and supposedly it is on its way here now. The dealer is circumspect about anything and there is no way for me to check online for Hungarian orders. Only the dealer can do that. My impression is that dealers really have no clue what to say about it and are more or less in the dark. But, if I provoke them to check they do it and then I get some meager data. We have now paid most of the price except for the remaining $10k or so which cannot be determined until it finishes the Hungarian registration process. Apparently, it goes from Stuttgart to Budapest (if they have a truckload ready so it might have to wait for the truck to get full) and starts the registration/inspection process which takes over a week (and costs roughly $500) then it will get shipped here to our nearest dealer in Veszprem roughly 150km west of Budapest. When it leaves Budapest they "promise" to call us but otherwise I have been asked to not bother them about it. So, at the moment we are in the dark. I did ask how many EQS have been sold in Hungary and the number is currently 1 (ours). What blows my mind is the treatment we get from the dealer. You would think we are doing them a big favor by buying the car. I am still in shock as to the price for our 450+ which came in at 60.3 million HUF (at the currency exchange rate when we paid it comes in at roughly $172k). We had to make $10k transfers from 2 different accounts every 4 days to get around the US limits on overseas currency transactions. that took a while and again no information was received as to whether they got the money or not unless I pried it out of them. However, price-wise the Porsche Taycan and Audi Etron RS GT come in a bit higher and the Tesla Model S a bit lower but all are in the same ballpark price. My wife hates all of them and is set on the EQS only as it is the most comfortable. She despises the Teslas. However, even so, the Tesla S is unavailable in Europe for at least 18 months so out of the picture anyway. Hungary's 27% VAT is the killer on the price though. We will see if it arrives sometime this week what the final cost is and what we will have to pay for insurance. The estimate for delivery when we ordered in January was for early May so it is correct so far barring unforeseen delays such as Hungarian inspection/registration which seems to be a bureaucratic nightmare.

Hungary also gives no credit for vehicles costing above 15 million HUF and nothing for installing a charge power supply. I was also told when we ordered we couldn't get the 22KW charge option. However, reading in-depth this is probably good as high charging rates reduces the battery life. Reading the downloaded owner's manual in finite detail reveals also they don't recommend using DC charging too often as again it reduces battery life and unless long distance travel is anticipated to never charge above 80% or let it fall below 20%. I plan to use EcoCharge mode unless we are traveling. I am waiting for E.On guy to come install the 3-phase circuit to our house (we already have 3-phase coming in but not to the garage) and have already received an 11KW charge supply system which will get installed as well. Hungary doesn't allow night rates for EV charging yet and maybe never. By Hungarian law, it is only permitted for water heaters. We drive roughly 40km a week so charging isn't a big issue for us. We do mak
e several long trips a year though (not the past 2 years though) so will use the rapid charge on trips. There aren't any near us at all so I doubt I can check this until our first trip. I am praying this isn't a big issue traveling and it was the reason I went with the 450+ for the longer range. No clue about the Mercedes.Me charging and if we get any free charging at all. The dealer knows nothing at all about it.
Very interesting assessment Borschelrh. Your journey sounds very similar to my own. Except that you get more data.

1st May, I still have no build date and no delivery date. And you are absolutely correct, dealers have no better data than we do. I enquired with two other credible dealers (this last week) and whilst the one proved to be totally unresponsive, the other was very frank, very credible, invested some talk time and echoed very much the data (or lack of data) experienced from the dealer we placed the order with. It was not the best news. In fact it was no news but a confirmation that everything that had been shared, mirrored what we had been told. Not great but consistent.

In a sense I'm OK with that in as much that the selling dealer is not lying, just clueless and clueless because of the Mercedes information and process curve. And in the end analysis I am not really in any huge rush. But to simply not know given Mercedes supposed credentials? That seems poor. I just want a target date, good or bad.

Also the same situation here regarding the 22kw AC port option. It's advertised. It's promoted in MB media, the benefits are shown but you cannot buy it and you cannot order it! Is this some perverse game that MB top management play? I dare not ask when SAE 3 drive pilot is a purchasable option even though internet is full of information that it is ratified for 8000 Kms in Germany and supposedly in advanced stage of approval in the UK.

I would like to option the 22kw (it's quite key for me) but fear I may have to sacrifice this. I believe they placed the factory order without it, to get it into the planning and then planned to add it. But I have to think that this will mean delivery 2024! I had the same issue with Audi last year with the GT which we ordered. Total chaos that resulted in cancelation in January and the move to Mercedes. We enjoyed the concept of GT but not the Porsche or Tesla. Upon reflection the GT was not a practical fit. The EQS is a much better one should we ever see one before it is face lifted! I'm with your wife on the Tesla front. I don't fully know why. Whilst having to admire some of the technology, the build quality is very questionable and the image the company and it's leadership projects is odd to say the least. But I understand why they appeal to people. They have the infrastructure well considered.

I also have found the electrical knowledge at both makes dealer wise absolutely woeful, They do not know their own product options, impacts or even have basic electrical knowledge. When asking about 22kw AC charging, I was advised to speak with BP Pulse .... the commercial Fast DC charging company! :) .... it was difficult to (as a customer) to politely and with humility have to challenge the electrical advice given. Not one person I spoke with had any clue about the differences between AC and DC or single or 3 phase or domestic ampages, etc. It was toe curling ... to try to be respectful of the selling process but to 100% know what you were being told was totally incorrect. Repeatedly. Indeed the order for the 11kw 450+ went in with the dealer adamant (originally) that that would indeed work 100% with 22kw. I checked with Mercedes Assist technical support in Holland who confirmed that was not accurate and not even available. Imagine the situation the day it did arrive to hook it up to a 22kw AC home system and box only to find it took 9 hours rather than 5 hours. Is really not good from a supposedly premium brand.

I also optioned the large screen. A little childish on my part, not rational but I liked the look of it. And now this is unofficially rumoured to be another reason for the lack of a delivery date. Again, more things advertised that cannot be sold.

I 100% agree the buying process was truly woeful. I did not buy a new car before. I have always been lucky to have a nice care coming with my job role. And I naively thought it would be lovely .... nice coffee, many some tickets for F1, some special track day.:) I don't know, just some slightly elevated experience. How wrong could you be. The experience with Audi and Mercedes was embarrassing and deflating. We were left a little speechless and resorted to laughter after leaving each dealership .... mainly as a self protection mechanism as it was just .... terrible!

By coincidence and purely by way of an example, we are regulars to Budapest and enjoy it a lot. We stay at the Intercontinental there on the front. Not the best, not the worst hotel. But every time it's a welcoming and uplifting experience. Mercedes dealerships need a little re-programming in hospitality and experience management. Very very poor.

I'd be interested in the specification of your 450+ and indeed if your lead times are met. And I keep my fingers crossed that you will be good to receive it in May. I will be happy to even get a build week within May :)

I ordered the 450+ Lux in Tech Silver, light grey interior and the Hyper screen option. The order as it stands is for 11kw but the intention was to modify (once build was advised) to the 22kw option.

Thanks for sharing that. Great data and I have to say, the only person I've heard from on any forum or information platform who has any experience to share. Even though it does not necessarily improve my situation, it's at least good to know I'm not entirely on my own and to hear from another EQS buyer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree it is similar. Our rush is to get it delivered before Germany cuts Russian gas and oil basically committing commercial suicide which will shut down all industries in Germany. There was a delay as the wiring harness was made in Ukraine and these are now permanently unavailable. This also affected Porsche and Audi EV's. I believe China has stepped in to deliver these. We ordered almost everything possible with the exception of the 22KW which was unavailable and the 10-degree rear turning. I assume I can hack that later as it is only a software change. We are getting the Magno grey with Napa leather in the beige grey (I forget the name). We also ordered the large screen so this isn't an issue as ours is coming. I didn't buy any of the rear seat stuff as we never carry passengers. I originally wanted the EQE but they kept delaying the ordering and pricing so we went ahead for the EQS mostly as it has a large trunk which we need. My wife is a professional photographer and has a ton of stuff when we travel plus I am a drone pilot as well (to support her with aerial photos). The actual price difference turns out to not be that much once you add the options.

I will call them again tomorrow and coax them to tell me where it is. It should be in Budapest by now and hopefully, we can take delivery this week as promised.

I hired a E.On technician (friend of a friend) to do the electrical wiring for us and he will take care of the legal nonsense with E.On. He will install a dedicated 3-phase 16Amp set for the car. He isn't free for a couple of weeks but I have a charger I bought on Aliexpress for $350 and it was delivered from France. The dealer wanted 1 million HUF for the Mercedes wall unit (roughly $3,000). They are really just safety devices as the car has the charger built-in. The wall units are not chargers at all but provide constant voltage with some monitoring and safety built-in. I could have made my own but I opted for this one instead. It has good reviews but of course, no one has an EQS yet so I will find out if it works or not if and when the car arrives. This is our first Mercedes and I generally buy Toyota or VW. We are upgrading from a Passat. I would have gone for the Audi but the range sucks. So for us it was a choice of comfort and range versus speed. We are in our 70's (I turn 70 in August but my wife is 74) so this likely will be our last car. We always buy new and generally keep them 10 years. I will be shocked if I am driving at all in 10 years.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree it is similar. Our rush is to get it delivered before Germany cuts Russian gas and oil basically committing commercial suicide which will shut down all industries in Germany. There was a delay as the wiring harness was made in Ukraine and these are now permanently unavailable. This also affected Porsche and Audi EV's. I believe China has stepped in to deliver these. We ordered almost everything possible with the exception of the 22KW which was unavailable and the 10-degree rear turning. I assume I can hack that later as it is only a software change. We are getting the Magno grey with Napa leather in the beige grey (I forget the name). We also ordered the large screen so this isn't an issue as ours is coming. I didn't buy any of the rear seat stuff as we never carry passengers. I originally wanted the EQE but they kept delaying the ordering and pricing so we went ahead for the EQS mostly as it has a large trunk which we need. My wife is a professional photographer and has a ton of stuff when we travel plus I am a drone pilot as well (to support her with aerial photos). The actual price difference turns out to not be that much once you add the options.

I will call them again tomorrow and coax them to tell me where it is. It should be in Budapest by now and hopefully, we can take delivery this week as promised.

I hired a E.On technician (friend of a friend) to do the electrical wiring for us and he will take care of the legal nonsense with E.On. He will install a dedicated 3-phase 16Amp set for the car. He isn't free for a couple of weeks but I have a charger I bought on Aliexpress for $350 and it was delivered from France. The dealer wanted 1 million HUF for the Mercedes wall unit (roughly $3,000). They are really just safety devices as the car has the charger built-in. The wall units are not chargers at all but provide constant voltage with some monitoring and safety built-in. I could have made my own but I opted for this one instead. It has good reviews but of course, no one has an EQS yet so I will find out if it works or not if and when the car arrives. This is our first Mercedes and I generally buy Toyota or VW. We are upgrading from a Passat. I would have gone for the Audi but the range sucks. So for us it was a choice of comfort and range versus speed. We are in our 70's (I turn 70 in August but my wife is 74) so this likely will be our last car. We always buy new and generally keep them 10 years. I will be shocked if I am driving at all in 10 years.
You sure we don't live in the same street? :) .... circumstances are spookily similar. Interesting.

Yes our MB dealership mentioned about the Porsche and wiring harness issues as well. I can understand some of the logistical problems and indeed have 'some' sympathy for that. very strange times. But the fact that they appear in the UK not to be able to factor that in surprises. Mind you, there is also the very real possibility that it may be to do with our own self destructive actions as a nation to go it alone from Europe with no measurable or tangible benefit being demonstrated under the Brexit notion.

I looked at the Mango grey. It very much appealed to me but strangely the dealer had rather strong views that it requires a lot of looking after as a finish. I wish they had the same passion about the charging and electrical aspects. The Mango grey and beige interior looked very classy indeed. I'm still of the opinion I should have ordered the Mango.

Just a note of caution Borschelrh, I do not think it is a software mod, the 22kw option. You are correct that it's not a huge difference. From discussions with Audi at the time of ordering the GT, it seemed to boil down to two sets of wires rather than one and a rather straight forward controller. But of course packed at extra cost. But I think it is hardware not software. It would certainly be better for me as well should it be a SW turnkey later but If I were you I would check that. The 10 degree steering definitively is SW optionable at a little extra cost.

Totally agree about the rear entertainment pack. I had one of these on a work car a few years back when the kids were much younger and it was great then but of next to no value now.

And also for me it's my first Mercedes. One of my portfolio of responsibilities aside from IT and Finance is Facilities which covers company cars. I grew sick of seeing (and signing off) hundreds of E classes for middle managers and 3 series for sales guys and always fought away from those convenient stereotypes. But now this thing does grab me as a hard product much as the service and sales side does not. Also agree your logic on comfort and speed. The GT was fun to boot (when tested) a couple of times but in reality that novelty I grew to realise would wear thin fairly quickly. Whereas the ability to drive from Manchester to London and back on a single charge and in comfort definitely has a huge appeal. And it's still not exactly slow.

Very interesting to hear another buys motivations. They really are uncannily similar to our own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It is interesting to see the similarities. I meant the 10-degree rear turning radius as a software mod. Here that option was 600,000 HUF (roughly $1,600) so somewhat ridiculous. I originally didn't add the front grill tiny stars but my wife was excited in anticipation for them so I called and added that after placing the order another 300,000 HUF option ($900). I also added the remote parking after I realized the car is so big that in our garage we won't be able to open the doors inside the garage. So being able to park after getting out is necessary. I forget what that cost but it required an upgrade to a package so affected the car's final price by about $3,000. This will be a nightmare to teach my wife how to use these things. In our case, it is actually her money from her Day Trading profits so whatever she wants is what we get. She liked the Magno Grey and beige interior so that is what we got. They had a sporty E class in that color in the showroom which she really liked the color (but not the car). I would have gone for the EQS 580 but she prefers longer range. I don't actually expect to see the WLTP numbers but close is good enough. Before we ordered I went through a series of analyses for given trips in Europe to see the reality. I used an app ChargeMap where you can plan a trip and it shows the charge points. Eastern Europe has a dearth of high-speed charge points but it is enough for most trips and I am assuming this will improve. The worst was the drive from here to Istanbul but even then it was okay. Bulgaria is particularly awful for charging. Western Europe is fine and presents no big problems so I gently nudged her towards the EQS which she loved on sight. Our dealer has 2 in the showroom and we played around in it and drove it. Basically it is similar to our Passat in performance so she is happy with it. She also liked the plain S500 hybrid. Hungary actually has the lowest fuel prices in Europe (except Russia). But we are under rationing as the government has capped prices at 580 HUF per liter so people living in neighboring countries are driving into Hungary to buy fuel. So, we are limited to 100 liters once a week. For us, it isn't a problem but the EQS will eliminate the hassle, except for buying lawn mower and tractor fuel and gas for my small 7.2M yacht.

I went through a phase in my younger years of fast cars. I had American muscle cars including a 1956 Chevy Bel Air, followed by a 1971 Chevy SS. I bought a Porsche 911T in Germany in 1972 (I spent 40 years in the US Army) which I stupidly brought back to the US in 1975 but the US had mandated 55 mph maximums due to the Saudi Oil Embargo so I rarely got out of second gear. I dumped it and bought a VW beetle instead (I had 6 in a row). But the 911 was great on the autobahn though as in the early 70's German economy was still recovering from the war and very few people had fast cars (or even any cars). I recall the small village I lived in (near Stuttgart) was happy to have me as it mandated the Bundespost bring in phone lines as being in the military I was required to have phone access for alerts so the whole town was able to get phones for the first time. That was how bad the economy was. On my second tour to Germany in 1987 I bought a Porsche 929 (yeah!!!) but by then the German economy had improved a lot and they had followed the American business model and shifted the majority of goods transportation to trucks. I left that car in Germany and bought a Ford Thunderbird when we returned along with my wife's Suburu Justy we brought back from Germany. Tiny but 4-wheel drive. She actually took the Ford and gave me the Suburu (second wife this time - 25 years, first wife was 10 years). By 1987 the autobahns were packed and I could only very rarely open up the car to its full capabilities. Very fun though!! Then the East Germans came in with their tiny 2-stroke engines and you couldn't even go 100 kph anymore as the roads were packed with slow cars and trucks. We shipped a Toyota Prius here when we moved to Hungary and I drove it from Bremerhaven and had 57 road repairs so high seed driving in Germany is still impossible except for very brief distances. So, sadly the days of driving at insane speeds on the German autobahns are gone. I did enjoy the Porsches on the alpine roads though which is another matter entirely. I used to deliberately take the long windy roads to go skiing just to enjoy the thrill. I fed my speed addiction from flying around Europe as I had a small plane there as well. My flying is gone after my cataract surgeries 15 years ago. Now I get my thrills from sailing or mountain biking. I am with my 3rd wife this time around (15 years now) so interesting how things change. My kids are adults (from second marriage) with one in NYC and the other in Israel. Neither is married so no grandkids are expected.

I am looking forward to driving a nice elegant car that covers me in my older age from doing stupid things. The Passat had many of the same features but the EQS has them all and better. I had hoped my last car would completely drive itself but that looks at least 10 years away if not more. I actually expect the entire industry to change to on-demand vehicles that come and pick you up and take you where you need to go so ownership along with driving will become a thing of the past. But that looks to be in the distant future if ever. Certainly not in my lifetime.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got a call from the dealer and the car will arrive to them from Budapest later today. We can come and see it tomorrow and then pay the balance plus arrange insurance. We can drive it away perhaps as early as Thursday once registration is complete. It will not have plates until then. No clue about insurance but I expect it to be high. It will be registered in my wife's name so should be lower as she has an excellent driving history and of course, her age. Plus our home etc. are all insured together which should help. I still expect it to be insane although all the safety and anti-theft may make it better. I can't find out anything anywhere so this will be interesting. Our current insurance is with Alliance. Our Property Manager is buying the Passat. He will be happy to hear he will finally get the car he has coveted for so long now. The Passat is really a beautiful and wonderful car and has been a joy to own. He is getting a great price but he helps us in so many ways by dealing with the bureaucracy here as well as navigating all the property issues we continually face and serves as our translator. He is a retired Hungarian (Soviet) Army pilot so we have that camaraderie.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reading your second message, I envy you sir! :) .... please post loads of pictures. Seriously I have an idea to maybe change the colour given there is still no build week for us yet. And the satin grey was first choice.

Strange how these things are optioned by country. I see great colour and leather options for Audi and Mercedes that are unique to to German market and then a whole raft that are then standard in US but then country by country in Europe and often more restrictive.

So the 10 deg steer is standard on the 450+ in UK but there is no option for the 580 here yet. And again it's the frustrated choice thing. Something tells me that 4wd would be useful and yet in reality rarely used here. But then like your wife, I think the longer range appeals more. And I am one of these annoying folks who will always pass the service station to try to get the next one! And now you got me thinking about the parking assist. I assumed that was in the UK + Lux pack but think I will check. that. Good call.

Very interesting that you mention about change points in the region. It's a question I've been asking on other forums with little by way of any real data. Everyone has a trip they made to middle Europe or South of France they can share but no-one seems be going further afield.

I mentioned it's the first car I've ever paid real money for and I want this thing to work some, not just go to the shops and sit depreciating. And whilst we've thought about some nice Euro trips (Scandi and Iceland loop, though Spain towards Morocco, the normal Euro scenic routes) the one we were really focused on, is indeed from home in the middle of the UK down to Istanbul (probably via Athens) and back. It all looked fairly predictable down to Vienna and I guessed (but not properly researched) to Budapest. But past there it got very thin on details. You think that's doable? Would be very interested understand a little more about charge points, route options and points in the region. I had written that off some prior to the EQS decision but if that is possible, then I'm way more excited to get this thing. Travel wise I know my way around Europe well but past Austria, less so. And very green Hungarian border onwards driving wise.

I'm not strictly a car guy (although I've always been lucky to have top end company cars with the job and don't fight against the concept of a decent car) but this one did appeal to us. A little like you mention, the clock ticks some and I had a spell in hospital last year with a badly shattered up leg. I tend to work and do everything from working on old cars to property renovation, fixing computers, the whole nine yards. It's out of choice, not necessity and I came off the worst doing a job which stopped life for a couple of months. I got the often repeated lectures off wife, mother, kids about not trying to prove to the world that I can do it all! The one daughter bought a car mag into hospital. And that triggered the 'what the hell' type conversation. And it all grew from that. But to be able now to get something that ticks the box, that we can put to work and do this target trip would be absolutely brilliant.

If you have the time, I'd be very interested in any details and experiences drive wise down to Athens and Istanbul that you could share with us? Have to say, you have escalated interest here from the 'meh' do we stick with it, cancel it, to wow this thing could be possible and open new experiences.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will post what I can as soon as I can. We have an appointment to see it tomorrow at 1100 and I assume to settle up as well. We shouldn't owe all that much but there will be the unanticipated surprise costs that always crop up at purchase. I will take a lot of photos.

As I mentioned the ChargeMap seems to be up to date on charge points and allows you to put in your car data and then plan a route. Charging station map for electric cars | Chargemap I find it interesting and play around with. The route planning is on their Android App. I would take a look at it and see what you find for a given trip. Our first trip is probably to Spain via France. We hosted a Ukrainian refugee family who are now in Barcelona so worth a visit to see how they are doing. Then my wife's family is coming in July and we plan to go down through Croatia and Montenegro and possibly Bulgaria and Serbia. My wife has a classmate who retired to the Black Sea coast in Bulgaria. We still haven't been to Romania yet either even after living here 12 years. I want to drive up through Scotland and take a ferry to Iceland and back down through Scandinavia possibly this fall. Lots to see and do. The EQS should be very comfortable for this kind of trip. Time will tell. I am cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will post what I can as soon as I can. We have an appointment to see it tomorrow at 1100 and I assume to settle up as well. We shouldn't owe all that much but there will be the unanticipated surprise costs that always crop up at purchase. I will take a lot of photos.

As I mentioned the ChargeMap seems to be up to date on charge points and allows you to put in your car data and then plan a route. Charging station map for electric cars | Chargemap I find it interesting and play around with. The route planning is on their Android App. I would take a look at it and see what you find for a given trip. Our first trip is probably to Spain via France. We hosted a Ukrainian refugee family who are now in Barcelona so worth a visit to see how they are doing. Then my wife's family is coming in July and we plan to go down through Croatia and Montenegro and possibly Bulgaria and Serbia. My wife has a classmate who retired to the Black Sea coast in Bulgaria. We still haven't been to Romania yet either even after living here 12 years. I want to drive up through Scotland and take a ferry to Iceland and back down through Scandinavia possibly this fall. Lots to see and do. The EQS should be very comfortable for this kind of trip. Time will tell. I am cautiously optimistic.
I signed up for the app you kindly linked. Very useful. And revives the trip plan.

Yes the Scandi loop will be a breeze and a great drive at the right time of year. They have well developed infrastructure there. Iceland a little less so but it's small enough to be manageable.

Let me know please how you get on with the Croatia / Montenegro trip .... that was a leg we intended take on the drop down or return. Very interesting.

No you definitely have the right car I'd say for the type of trip we are both looking at.

Looking forward to the photos. Thanks again

·
Registered
29 Posts
We went to see it and are very happy so far. It won't be ready to be received by us until it gets registered. That cannot begin until insurance is arranged and paid for. I am waiting for quotes now. So, it will be next week as early as Monday. One thing missing is the charger which is on long backorder (possibly 6 months) as whatever chips they use in it are unavailable. So, I am glad I bought a charger from AliExpress and have it in hand. I am also glad I bought a portable one that has the Schucko adapter so I can plug it in anywhere but at a slow charging speed. Better than zero though. Next is to get insurance and pay the final bill. We cannot pre-pay the registration and that must be paid in cash on the pickup day. Weird rules. The wife is very happy with the car (not the price). She thought we would be picking it up today so not happy to be waiting another week. I didn't check out the MBUX system yet or anything else. I did finally get registered onto the Mercedes Me site and the car has been added. My wife, unfortunately, has an iPhone 13 and the Mercedes Me app is impossible to load as her phone is American and cannot install European software. She has a Huawei P30 Pro as well so we will get that installed (maybe) when we pick up the car. The Huawei is banned from Google so hard to install stuff but I have a workaround using sideloading from my Galaxy. My Huawei P40 Pro+ died in a bicycle wreck (literally shattered) and costs almost as much as a new phone to get fixed so I will get something else perhaps on my birthday. I definitely won't get an iPhone.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part White

Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Gear shift

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Tire Wheel

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Vehicle Grille Vehicle registration plate Car Hood

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sir, looks the business. Really does and causes me to consider making an order change. Spot on. And yet I can understand the frustration to need to wait a few more days.

All the same yours in pretty much in hand, not as in my case, even an entry on a spreadsheet yet. I'll be happy to hear the explanation why hard product can be sourced so quickly in Hungary but not the UK when ordered the very same day.. My dealer is going to love you :)

No is great news and a great product you have there. The star grille your wife likes is not available in the UK. Can you believe that? I also quite like it but nope, you can't have one here. Who makes these sort of strange decisions?

I didn't know about the Apple issue though fortunately we are not Apple folks. I've just made the big step of upgrading from (don't laugh) a Nokia E61 (2003 model) to a Sony Xperia 1 Mk III. It at last gave up and I had no choice. So we both have these now and ironically .... I have the Me app just not the bloody car to do anything with it :)

Yep a great looking car you are going to have a ball with. Keep us posted. You are the only person out there with any real hard data to share and it's very interesting to read about. Is a bit like not being able to go on holiday but hearing about someone else's :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I pulled up the info I was sent by my dealer. He sent it to me March 24. We placed the order on 18 January and paid 10% the same day (by credit card). There is some weird info on the form he sent to me but the order delivery date was supposed to be 1 March. The production period was 21 April. The bodyshell was scheduled for 6 April, Interior 13 April, and final inspection 19 April. All these dates were a full month after the scheduled dates so there were some delays. I don't know what they were but what I found was the wiring harness issues.

Every dealer can look up the order status using your unique order number and tell you exactly where it is at in the process. Getting them to do that is somewhat difficult but with patience and unrelenting calls they finally did it for me. In the US you can do this yourself online but not here in Hungary.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled up the info I was sent by my dealer. He sent it to me March 24. We placed the order on 18 January and paid 10% the same day (by credit card). There is some weird info on the form he sent to me but the order delivery date was supposed to be 1 March. The production period was 21 April. The bodyshell was scheduled for 6 April, Interior 13 April, and final inspection 19 April. All these dates were a full month after the scheduled dates so there were some delays. I don't know what they were but what I found was the wiring harness issues.

Every dealer can look up the order status using your unique order number and tell you exactly where it is at in the process. Getting them to do that is somewhat difficult but with patience and unrelenting calls they finally did it for me. In the US you can do this yourself online but not here in Hungary.
Looks like you are getting significantly better service and answers than me for sure. Mind you, I overstated the ordering date ... mine was end of January in reality. Still a significant difference even if another 12 days behind.

And the detailed build steps you describe have not even been mentioned here.

The wiring harness issue is being promoted near everywhere as a cause of delays. Apparently (and I believe it is accurate) a factory in Ukraine that manufactures wiring looms was hit. It has had impact. But I think it is also being flagged as a convenient truth for any car maker with any delays in production. My dealer flagged it as the reason Porsche are not delivering cars for another 2 years.

I'm going to push back on the order number search with the dealer. I don't expect much but it's reassuring to have a benchmark of fact and accuracy to hold against them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Probably you already have seen this but there is a purpose designed in car fragrance heater / atomiser. And they also developed a scent specifically for the EQS. It's so insanely unnecessary that it suddenly becomes unmissable :) This is the one for the EQS ..... get your dealer to throw one in before you pay the balance ..... would say the least they can do after your £157k investment. Maybe it's why mine is so late being built. ......

·
Registered
29 Posts
They aren't throwing anything in at all. I think that option was yet another $3000 so I passed on it. I suppose what blows my mind is they shipped a car with no way to charge it home. Luckily, I bought a charger. I hope it works. I also see the car is at a 26% charge level. One hopes they top it off to 80% before we pick it up.

I did finally see a video as to how to get to the access to open the bonnet. It is behind a small metal plate under the dash accessed by removing 2 screws. It is worth getting inside as leaves etc. can build up in there. The area is packed with A/C equipment but also the brake fluid levels etc. I think it bizarre that the owner has no access to that area or even why they didn't make room for a frunk to hold the charging cables at least. But, I also read somewhere the EQS is hermetically sealed and the A/C must always be in operation otherwise the passengers get CO2 poisoning. So, maybe they want to ensure owners can't screw with the A/C to turn it off to get better range and kill themselves. Likely, because in the American market the liability issues are enormous as tort law in the US is ridiculous. I see American-type warning labels on everything now here in Europe so it is rapidly becoming the same.

Now I have some serious regarding things I thought I paid for but on the Mercedes Me app is showing I need to pay to have access to such as remote parking. The dealer will have to ensure everything I paid for is actually authorized in the app. But, I can see the status, etc. on the car even though it is 15 miles away at the dealer. That is interesting. I am also discovering some cool things like geofencing the car. I still can't find anywhere how to load music into the car multimedia system. I would expect an SD Card reader somewhere but apparently it can only be done through a phone or similar. Maybe a thumb drive can work so this will be something I will be looking to figure out. The lack of Mercedes Me app for iPhone is a larger problem. I think I have that figured out now though. My wife's iPhone is a European model based on the IMEI number so it should work. But, her app store region is the US as we use US credit cards for payment and there are issues with billing address verses where you are when you order something. She changed her app store region to Hungary and now can't use our credit cards for Apple purchases. We have a Hungarian card as well tied to our local account but that one is being refused as well. So, now she is screwed for paying for the other services she gets on the phone. I ran into similar issues with Playstation and ended up using my PayPal account instead. So, maybe this is another option for Apple. This is a huge headache for expatriates who have accounts in multiple countries. I ran into this when we traveled to China and needed to buy health insurance and no one in Hungary would insure an American and in America, they wouldn't insure us as we don't live there. Then in China they wouldn't insure us due to our age. We finally found a service in Russia that covered us cheaply but only because we have a friend there that runs a travel agency for photgraphers.

More interesting is insurance. Ouch!!! The Mercedes insurance broker sought out quotes from 5 providers and 3 refused to insure the EQS at all. Of the 2 remaining they have similar numbers. The normal required insurance is cheap as expected but the Casco not sure what it is called elsewhere but we call it comprehensive in the US ( comes in at 965,000 HUF year with a 200,000 HUF deductible - $2,680 and $555 respectively). My in-laws in Moscow have high-end Land Rovers or similar in the same price range and have wildly different rates. But, one thing I can see is the windscreen with the HUD seems to be a trigger for a lot higher rates. My brother-in-law has that on his car and he pays an additional $1,000 a year just because of that. I imagine the electronics also contribute. Apparently, many companies are leery of insuring electric vehicles at all given all the Tesla fires. This is a problem of being on the bleeding edge. However, EV's have been around for 10 years now so really aren't bleeding edge anymore. Our company Alliance refused but we are going there today to ask why as you can get a quote on line. It could be because we are Americans (although my wife is a dual citizen Russian so that could also be a factor in this cancel world). Anything seems possible these days.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They aren't throwing anything in at all. I think that option was yet another $3000 so I passed on it. I suppose what blows my mind is they shipped a car with no way to charge it home. Luckily, I bought a charger. I hope it works. I also see the car is at a 26% charge level. One hopes they top it off to 80% before we pick it up.

I did finally see a video as to how to get to the access to open the bonnet. It is behind a small metal plate under the dash accessed by removing 2 screws. It is worth getting inside as leaves etc. can build up in there. The area is packed with A/C equipment but also the brake fluid levels etc. I think it bizarre that the owner has no access to that area or even why they didn't make room for a frunk to hold the charging cables at least. But, I also read somewhere the EQS is hermetically sealed and the A/C must always be in operation otherwise the passengers get CO2 poisoning. So, maybe they want to ensure owners can't screw with the A/C to turn it off to get better range and kill themselves. Likely, because in the American market the liability issues are enormous as tort law in the US is ridiculous. I see American-type warning labels on everything now here in Europe so it is rapidly becoming the same.

Now I have some serious regarding things I thought I paid for but on the Mercedes Me app is showing I need to pay to have access to such as remote parking. The dealer will have to ensure everything I paid for is actually authorized in the app. But, I can see the status, etc. on the car even though it is 15 miles away at the dealer. That is interesting. I am also discovering some cool things like geofencing the car. I still can't find anywhere how to load music into the car multimedia system. I would expect an SD Card reader somewhere but apparently it can only be done through a phone or similar. Maybe a thumb drive can work so this will be something I will be looking to figure out. The lack of Mercedes Me app for iPhone is a larger problem. I think I have that figured out now though. My wife's iPhone is a European model based on the IMEI number so it should work. But, her app store region is the US as we use US credit cards for payment and there are issues with billing address verses where you are when you order something. She changed her app store region to Hungary and now can't use our credit cards for Apple purchases. We have a Hungarian card as well tied to our local account but that one is being refused as well. So, now she is screwed for paying for the other services she gets on the phone. I ran into similar issues with Playstation and ended up using my PayPal account instead. So, maybe this is another option for Apple. This is a huge headache for expatriates who have accounts in multiple countries. I ran into this when we traveled to China and needed to buy health insurance and no one in Hungary would insure an American and in America, they wouldn't insure us as we don't live there. Then in China they wouldn't insure us due to our age. We finally found a service in Russia that covered us cheaply but only because we have a friend there that runs a travel agency for photgraphers.

More interesting is insurance. Ouch!!! The Mercedes insurance broker sought out quotes from 5 providers and 3 refused to insure the EQS at all. Of the 2 remaining they have similar numbers. The normal required insurance is cheap as expected but the Casco not sure what it is called elsewhere but we call it comprehensive in the US ( comes in at 965,000 HUF year with a 200,000 HUF deductible - $2,680 and $555 respectively). My in-laws in Moscow have high-end Land Rovers or similar in the same price range and have wildly different rates. But, one thing I can see is the windscreen with the HUD seems to be a trigger for a lot higher rates. My brother-in-law has that on his car and he pays an additional $1,000 a year just because of that. I imagine the electronics also contribute. Apparently, many companies are leery of insuring electric vehicles at all given all the Tesla fires. This is a problem of being on the bleeding edge. However, EV's have been around for 10 years now so really aren't bleeding edge anymore. Our company Alliance refused but we are going there today to ask why as you can get a quote on line. It could be because we are Americans (although my wife is a dual citizen Russian so that could also be a factor in this cancel world). Anything seems possible these days.
Quality data again. Very interesting.

So Mercedes have up'ed their marketing strategy again then? Spend millions promoting it, defy people to actually buy it, make them wait an age for the product then try to kill them when they flick the switch. They really got this car selling thing cracked.

I didn't look at the insurance aspect. In the original excitement and subsequent frustration, this passed me by. Think I'll chose to not look at that yet ... I'm on a sort of upswing just now with the thought that we really can do the Istanbul trip ... if it ever arrives.

Blimey, that's good to be checking those options before final hand over. Not things you might ordinarily consider but absolutely I will be following your lead on that. And indeed I've fired in a couple of questions content wise based on your experiences.

Have to say you appear be absolutely at the front edge of the EQS real world experience wise. You can read a lot but few if anyone is posting actual experience and reality (best I know) as you are. It's very very helpful stuff. Keep it coming.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Couple of things I missed.

Do you know about the plug & charge option that is confirmed to be live and active on EQS? Essentially you don't need credit card, mobile or suchlike. The VIN number of the car is enough to allow charge and post the payment to account. Nice facility as it seems that many of the frustrations folks have charging EV's is the payment media itself and the relationship between service, device and account. Only what I have read and watched but seems a common story.

Worth to check that is enabled as well. I'm not sure of the top of my head which charging providers this is available at. But again worth to check before sign off.

And did I get you right, the fragrance thing is an extra $3k? That's insane. I believe that's part of of the + Lux pack here but going to double check based on your experiences.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see it on the app but don't know how it works. We apparently get 1 year of free charging at Ionity stations but nowhere else (if I understood him correctly). I did ask about that specifically. Apparently the day it all begins is yesterday despite us not having the car yet. I believe you link a charge card to the account and it should work. I also notice the app heavily favors the Mercedez wall charger unit which I didn't buy. I will ask about the things that are listed as not included on the app but I paid for so I suppose this is the fine tuning he has to do at the dealership. They seem to have a great deal of control on this kind of stuff. Perhaps I can talk him into adding the 10-degree radius turning as that is just a software purchase and probably something he can add. Our salesman is also the manager so perhaps it gets easier still for him. He did tell me it takes roughly 4 days for the Mercedes Me app to download all the features. Not sure why that would be but he seemed to expect it as normal. He also knew about the Apple issues and said there is nothing they can do about it. It is something the programmers screwed up at Mercedes. BUt, I find this kind of thing constantly so programmers are not particularly good anymore.

The options are very different packages in each country. Here we have Premium, Advantage, and Advantage Plus. I ended up with the latter but it doesn't include a lot of features standard in packages in the US. I added the AMG exterior but was unaware there is also an AMG interior option. I added the remote parking, the tiny stars grill but rejected the night vision package which I think just adds tinting and some minor trim. I added the Nappa leather which also forced an upgrade to the MBUX large screen which I wanted anyway. The rear passenger stuff is all extra and not in a package. Really, here almost everything is listed separately. Sadly, there is no English language for the configurator so I had to rely on Google Translate in Chrome to do that and it is hit and miss for the Hungarian language. The dealer salesman speaks conversational English (moderately) but can't read it and has a lot of difficulty explaining features so I likely missed a few I wanted. My conversational Hungarian isn't up to the task for a lot of things and Hungarian is probably the hardest language in the world to learn. I learned Chinese easier than Hungarian as an example. That is how different it is from English or anything European. It isn't a complaint about Hungary on my part just part of living here which can make things difficult. We chose to live here and this is part of the process. It extends to a lot of things like social values etc. which are also very different from western Europe or the US.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Was watching this new video from MB just (can tell I'm trying anything to avoid carrying on with the Kitchen renovation) and it has some very lightweight but also some interesting stuff that given your hand over situation it could be worth to check is in or now.

At about 13 mins in, they demonstrate gesture control to close the door but it says in print at the bottom of the screen "this video shows features not available at the time of market launch' .... does this mean 'they ain't on the car' or 'they are not yet enabled' .... big difference and maybe worth to ask about?

Then at 13.25 mins in they talk about SAE Level 3 driving and that it's made possible by use of sensors and LIDAR etc. What they do not make clear is if this gear is built in and just needs enabling or it's an expensive option on the list or yet to be added to the list. Again maybe worth the ask? I've dropped an email in to our dealer. Edit: just watching further, there is a screen text that quietly says "expected enter series production from the first half of 2022" .... definitely worth to ask the question. It's called Drive Pilot. Being included in the car does not mean it's available to use and I think it Germany only to start with.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts