Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw early that they knew absolutely nothing about the car other than the obvious stuff. The nuances are hard to figure out. I am still a bit angry about some of the things missing that I thought I had ordered but now I know a lot more about the car and Mercedes makes the options very hard to figure out. I ordered the Keyless-Go Comfort option believing that included the convenience door function but going through the finite details I learned that you must order Keyless-Go Comfort Plus to get that. The Plus is the door function. Nowhere did I see that listed when configuring the car. I do understand though my situation is difficult as the Configurator for Hungary has no English option and Google Translate doesn't work on pop-ups which is how the Configurator works. So, I did a mock order last home then took it to the salesman who then walked me through the list. However, his English is weak and many things he just couldn't translate. He can't read English at all so pretty much it is all done using Google translate or in-person speaking. Google Translate (or Yandex Translate) both don't do Hungarian well and these are the best out there. There are no good translation programs at all. My failure was to assume I knew all the options and didn't bring a translator with me for the final order. So, I put that back on me.

My larger more immediate problem is my wife. She is a mono-focus type of person and cannot handle sensory overload which in her case is more than one thing at a time. I was a helicopter pilot so am well trained to multi-task. I was also a fry cook and later a 3rd Chef in my youth (before the military) which also requires enormous multi-tasking abilities. Anyway, she got over-whelmed with all the stuff in the car and popup messages coming up on the center dash and was definitely stressing out. So, this is important to understand for anyone reading this, that if a person can't handle a lot of information coming at them all at once then this kind of car is not for them. I enjoy it myself being somewhat a techno-geek and as a pilot experienced similar experiences and especially sailing single-handed.

The phone list varies from country to country (bizarre but there it is). Here is the website to determine phone compatibility. Home @ Mercedes-Benz Connectivity Hungary is not on the list so I used Germany but perhaps the UK is better for me. Your phone is on the list.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I saw early that they knew absolutely nothing about the car other than the obvious stuff. The nuances are hard to figure out. I am still a bit angry about some of the things missing that I thought I had ordered but now I know a lot more about the car and Mercedes makes the options very hard to figure out. I ordered the Keyless-Go Comfort option believing that included the convenience door function but going through the finite details I learned that you must order Keyless-Go Comfort Plus to get that. The Plus is the door function. Nowhere did I see that listed when configuring the car. I do understand though my situation is difficult as the Configurator for Hungary has no English option and Google Translate doesn't work on pop-ups which is how the Configurator works. So, I did a mock order last home then took it to the salesman who then walked me through the list. However, his English is weak and many things he just couldn't translate. He can't read English at all so pretty much it is all done using Google translate or in-person speaking. Google Translate (or Yandex Translate) both don't do Hungarian well and these are the best out there. There are no good translation programs at all. My failure was to assume I knew all the options and didn't bring a translator with me for the final order. So, I put that back on me.

My larger more immediate problem is my wife. She is a mono-focus type of person and cannot handle sensory overload which in her case is more than one thing at a time. I was a helicopter pilot so am well trained to multi-task. I was also a fry cook and later a 3rd Chef in my youth (before the military) which also requires enormous multi-tasking abilities. Anyway, she got over-whelmed with all the stuff in the car and popup messages coming up on the center dash and was definitely stressing out. So, this is important to understand for anyone reading this, that if a person can't handle a lot of information coming at them all at once then this kind of car is not for them. I enjoy it myself being somewhat a techno-geek and as a pilot experienced similar experiences and especially sailing single-handed.

The phone list varies from country to country (bizarre but there it is). Here is the website to determine phone compatibility. Home @ Mercedes-Benz Connectivity Hungary is not on the list so I used Germany but perhaps the UK is better for me. Your phone is on the list.
Yeah that's frustrating stuff. Don't know the consumer law out there but in UK and I Imagine Europe, then you have I think it's 14 days to return it. If there is a growing gap in delivered functions and disappointment then it could be worth raising the threat of that.

I have to say your findings and experiences absolutely will cause me to raise each and every one as a question to be asked, answered and confirmed in email. I imagine this lack of knowledge will be limited to new dedicated platform EV's. You would like to think they might be more knowledgeable and confident with the old ICE stuff.

And maybe it is worth to raise your Q&A with Mercedes Assist. They operate out of Maastricht in The Netherlands and so far have proven accurate with answers if not always what you want to hear. They are slow to respond though so if you do have concerns that could lead to a return of product then I'd get that in asap.

Have to say, it is very good analysis you posted and appreciated. I've used quite a bit of the data you have posted as questions to my dealer. Interesting that more than a week later they have not been back to me yet. And they don't have the language issue.

I fear I may be in same territory with my wife as you are with yours. She is a deeply frustrating character of some near 61 years who still experiences confusion and needs 'a manual' to figure out the universal symbols for remote control / cassette/cd play/FF/REV/stop etc. Given they became standard in 1973 she does not have a compelling case.

Then ironically, uses Alexa, latest gen Sony ear things, full integrated Gmail/Outlook calendar integration and a host of other quite advanced functions very well.

Equally ironically she test drove the Audi GT when I could not and took to the HUD and other toys surprisingly well. The HUD she was particularly taken with. She is one of these people who simply refuses to be instantly impressed with anything and very much of the mindset of 'why would you need that' ..... and will actively select business over first every time. Personal bug bear of mine that. Hair shirt and all that. But with the Audi GT she dropped guard instantly and confessed that she did not know how good a car could be to drive until driving a performance EV. And she drives for a living. Was a total wow factor. Same with EQS. So jury is out. let's see.

Thanks for checking the mobile situation. At least one thing confirmed that I don't have to check with the dealer.

Is so dispiriting. I send lists of what appear be very reasonable questions and they ring (interesting they don't like emailing) with an almost stock answer now of "I've asked but not got an answer yet" .... I genuinely don't think they know the impact that an answer like that has. These people/company are supposed to be the purveyors of benchmark quality and precision and experience.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Also I looked a bit deeper on the phone compatibility and although it confirms that the Sony is absolutely good to use with the EQS, if you go a bit deeper it does not appear to work with wireless charge and park assist. Strange. Have asked the dealer and most likely I will ask Mercedes Assist as well.

If it's the case then it works for half the car but not the other half. !!!

This link is lifted from a level down from the main link you kindly sent. It does not even allow Sony as an option for this area of the compatibility check....

Product Screenshot Font Software Multimedia

Rectangle Font Line Software Screenshot

·
Registered
29 Posts
I watched the video and can't disagree with anything he said except he had some data wrong. The EQS has almost double the range of the Porsche and Audi EV's not the opposite which he stated. I also would toss out the Lucid Air as a viable choice as they are nearly bankrupt and not delivering anywhere near enough cars. Giving the CEO that massive bonus looks suspicious to me as an impending cut and run-off with the assets.

Of course, he was reviewing a stock 450+ and I would expect very few people to go with that. I would have gone with the 580 but wanted more range. Here, you don't get any automatic options with it and once you add all the options it is $20k higher. Yes, it is faster but at our age who cares? This 450+ is plenty fast for me and it gives a lot of acceleration. As an example, I was at a stoplight and a Tesla Model X was next to me. I wasn't planning to race but my cruise control lept into 50 km/h at full acceleration when the light changed (not sure why but it startled me a lot) and this guy thought I wanted to drag race him. Well, what I observed is there is little observable difference between the 2 cars in terms of acceleration. Unplanned but interesting nonetheless.

The visibility sucks a lot. The rear window is like looking through a porthole and the rearview mirror is permanently dimmed so blurry. Sideview mirrors are large and compensate for the poor rear view. The wide bars between the doors block your side vision and the very wide and long bars separating the windscreen from the doors also block about 10% of your forward visibility. It reminds me of flying a Cessna Citation which has identical visibility issues.

I am not sure why but cameras come on randomly on the main screen showing problems before they happen. This is part of why my wife was freaked as this stuff is happening all over the place with weird warning messages relating to traffic in the center screen that pop on for a few seconds and then disappear but they are in deep red so somewhat disconcerting. We have a lot (I mean almost every road is changing) of new road construction in Vesprem and all the road changes are new and not on any GPS charts yet and I think this is what is happening. I can probably subdue that for her if and whenever I am able to get her registered to the vehicle. I did call again and they are confused about it so will call Germany (finally). I suspect it is a software issue. Our interior is plenty luxurious and I cannot complain about it. But, the seats are not the best for us. I am fine with it but my wife cannot get it high enough to see over the dash. She is tiny at 5'2" and the seat can't lift high enough for her. So, she has to lean forward to see which is uncomfortable. So, yet another limitation for some people, especially women drivers. We will probably have to get a cushion to sit on for her but that screws up the seat ventilation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I understand the dealers, mine also only uses the phone but then never answers after 1600 or before 0900. Sales people today don't have the same work ethic I am used to in the past. They must get sizeable bonuses but do very little for it. It kind of baffles me and it is very obvious he hates it when I call.

My wife has a PhD in geophysics (mine is in Immunology) and after leaving the Soviet Union became an award-winning web developer in the US and later the senior web developer for the US Govt FAA until we retired in 2009. But, she works through hyper-focus and cannot tolerate distractions at all. When she is working I keep a very far distance and never interrupt her except an emergency. She is worse Day Trading which she is very good at. She also can not work remotes at all but can write code faster than anyone I know. Her current forte is computer image enhancement and is a recognized expert in Photoshop and Lightroom. She doesn't use menus but rather keystroke shortcuts. But, this car scares her. The Passat was similar and she got used to it eventually. We are keeping it as I do love it. I already do 99% of the driving so this won't change much. It just means those few trips I don't go on like when she wants to go shopping, now I'll have to go. I do the majority of shopping as it is agony to go with her.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I understand the dealers, mine also only uses the phone but then never answers after 1600 or before 0900. Sales people today don't have the same work ethic I am used to in the past. They must get sizeable bonuses but do very little for it. It kind of baffles me and it is very obvious he hates it when I call.

My wife has a PhD in geophysics (mine is in Immunology) and after leaving the Soviet Union became an award-winning web developer in the US and later the senior web developer for the US Govt FAA until we retired in 2009. But, she works through hyper-focus and cannot tolerate distractions at all. When she is working I keep a very far distance and never interrupt her except an emergency. She is worse Day Trading which she is very good at. She also can not work remotes at all but can write code faster than anyone I know. Her current forte is computer image enhancement and is a recognized expert in Photoshop and Lightroom. She doesn't use menus but rather keystroke shortcuts. But, this car scares her. The Passat was similar and she got used to it eventually. We are keeping it as I do love it. I already do 99% of the driving so this won't change much. It just means those few trips I don't go on like when she wants to go shopping, now I'll have to go. I do the majority of shopping as it is agony to go with her.
I know for a fact that the Audi and Mercedes folks get (very roughly) a figure around 10% on sale cost. It depends on model, promotion and some in-house stuff but roughly 10% Money well earned yes? And it seems be something we put up with.

I was given some advice by a guy on an Audi forum (when the order was in with them) I think it was. He said, forget the dealer entirely and just do your own homework and go direct to a lease company. It's not as if you get a discount or any reliable skill set. Hell I have not even been offered a cup of coffee for my £130k. I kid you not. You might think there would be some 'soft product' that made one feel just a little special. I've felt like an inconvenience at best with both Audi and Mercedes. And Hyundai thinking on. I feel better looked after at Waitrose or CostCo.

I'm sure she will adjust over time. Mind you, if she didn't, at least you have a super car to do more trips to the shops in :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serious question.

I ordered mine end of January but as of today (April 9th) not even a build date let alone a delivery date.

I do seemed cursed with such things but is anyone getting indications of build and delivery? Formal or informal?

Miserable process buying a new car. Least it is for me in the UK
I ordered an EQS 53 AMG from a UK main dealer first week January 2022. They couldn't give a build date for non AMG versions but they could for the AMG for some reason. February 2023!!

However their system said that final configuration is required in June so sales guy assumed they will build it sooner than February or why would they need the spec so early? We are hoping for build September kind of time and hoping that the February date is just them being cautious. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I ordered an EQS 53 AMG from a UK main dealer first week January 2022. They couldn't give a build date for non AMG versions but they could for the AMG for some reason. February 2023!!

However their system said that final configuration is required in June so sales guy assumed they will build it sooner than February or why would they need the spec so early? We are hoping for build September kind of time and hoping that the February date is just them being cautious. Fingers crossed.
Well done with getting that data Nick, you achieving more than I am. Even today I still have zero data on build date. So that's three and a half months now and no build date or delivery ETA.

Without taking away from the much better news you getting, I would press your dealer to commit. Not that it's likely they will or will be able to access anyone who can. I was also told (with some confidence at time of order I should add) that September was likely .... this year. But mines a Lux not one of the performance models. But that conversation quickly got lost along the way.

Would be interested to hear who things progress with your order Nick. I do seem to be the kiss of death car order wise. Maybe it's me and others are having better luck. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just want to jump in to share my experience (Belgium):

Ordered an EQS350 on 5 April 2022, immediately received a production date from the sales guy (including screenshot of their system) of 2 July 2022, delivery estimated for two weeks later. If everything goes well, less than 3 months before production what seems to be very short in these times.

The only thing the sales guy had to verify was if my color (Manufacture Selenite Gray Magno) wouldn't delay the production, but it turned out this wasn't the case.

Still to see how it goes in practice however ....

(turned out that I was just in time ordering an EQS350, because apparently the 350 is not offered anymore since 1 May 2022 due to lack of interest/sales)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just want to jump in to share my experience (Belgium):

Ordered an EQS350 on 5 April 2022, immediately received a production date from the sales guy (including screenshot of their system) of 2 July 2022, delivery estimated for two weeks later. If everything goes well, less than 3 months before production what seems to be very short in these times.

The only thing the sales guy had to verify was if my color (Manufacture Selenite Gray Magno) wouldn't delay the production, but it turned out this wasn't the case.

Still to see how it goes in practice however ....

(turned out that I was just in time ordering an EQS350, because apparently the 350 is not offered anymore since 1 May 2022 due to lack of interest/sales)
Hi Sven and thanks for sharing. Could I ask if you optioned the Hyperscreen please? This is being flagged as a supposed delay point. Although Borscherlh did not see the same delay.

You are getting significantly better data and lead times than we are in the UK. I am now waiting nearly 4 months and not even a build date yet.

Maybe we start to see the real impact of the insanity that is Brexit!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Sven and thanks for sharing. Could I ask if you optioned the Hyperscreen please? This is being flagged as a supposed delay point. Although Borscherlh did not see the same delay.
No hyperscreen since (at least at the time of my order and in Belgium), the hyperscreen was only available on the 580.
I was informed by the dealer that the hyperscreen is not offered by MB on the 350/450 due to shortage of chips (would come back in the future). The 580 was out of my range and the price difference (approx 20K) between the 350 and the 450 was too much for me to opt for the 450.

However, if the 450 would have been offered with the optional hyperscreen, I would have ordered the 450, because I love the screen ;)

FYI: Received 4K on MSRP as well (thought that wouldn't' be the case in these times)!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
No hyperscreen since (at least at the time of my order and in Belgium), the hyperscreen was only available on the 580.
I was informed by the dealer that the hyperscreen is not offered by MB on the 350/450 due to shortage of chips (would come back in the future). The 580 was out of my range and the price difference (approx 20K) between the 350 and the 450 was too much for me to opt for the 450.

However, if the 450 would have been offered with the optional hyperscreen, I would have ordered the 450, because I love the screen ;)

FYI: Received 4K on MSRP as well (thought that wouldn't' be the case in these times)!
With a discount as well? Ok Sven you definitely had all of my 2022 share of good luck car wise! :)

Last year I managed get 4% discount on an Audi GT. Not sure how or why but I did, which I was told was unusual. Unfortunately had to cancel due to lousy service / lead time / knowledge / customer service .... in fact lousy everything except the car itself.

And here we go again :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Currently driving an Audi Q7, but also lousy service and a lot of software problems, terminated my lease 1 year earlier.
Will never go back to Audi ;-)
Interested to hear that Sven. so not just here.

It truly was appalling. Eventually the GM got involved. Who in fairness tried to revive the deal but the service and knowledge when spending £130k was truly depressing.

We tested the product and loved it. But the total distain for the customer was so overwhelming that I just had to walk from it. And I like to consider myself a patient guy.

My experience with Hyundai was the same but at least short lived. I lost only 3 weeks talking with Hyundai were it was 7 months talking with Audi. So far I cannot claim the experience with Mercedes has been any better yet.

It's not like I want it to be this way. I would really love to post a comment saying I felt really good about the process.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It truly was appalling. Eventually the GM got involved. Who in fairness tried to revive the deal but the service and knowledge when spending £130k was truly depressing.
We tested the product and loved it. But the total distain for the customer was so overwhelming that I just had to walk from it. And I like to consider myself a patient guy.
I faced something similar with Jaguar/LandRover here in Belgium.
Was interested for a Range Rover Sport (as well >120K), had been walking in the showroom for more than 30 minutes: nobody said hello, nobody asked me to wait till a sales rep was available, in fact nobody talked to me ;)

So after 45 minutes I left the showroom and never came back.
Sales rep of Mercedes was top (even at a concession where I was not a known customer)!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I faced something similar with Jaguar/LandRover here in Belgium.
Was interested for a Range Rover Sport (as well >120K), had been walking in the showroom for more than 30 minutes: nobody said hello, nobody asked me to wait till a sales rep was available, in fact nobody talked to me ;)

So after 45 minutes I left the showroom and never came back.
Sales rep of Mercedes was top (even at a concession where I was not a known customer)!
It seems be the trend Sven. I spoke on a couple of these forums and opinion seems be the same. Even the guys in the US saying it's no better there that was a surprise.

I was telling someone that when I was approx 21/22 I had a decent bonus in my job and the wife had been lusting after a Peugeot 306 GTI .... the red one with the strip across rear quarter. So I thought why not? I went to the Peugeot dealership and (like you) stood and walked around for 20 minutes (but it felt like two tense hours at that age) and no-one came. They were watching a famous horse race called the Grand National on a TV.

So I never once yet purchased a car let alone had an experience that I could say, wow that felt good. There is something wrong somewhere.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts