Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner

Anyone used Eurotunnel?

828 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  benlong
I understand that Tesla’s are usually loaded into the single deck carriages due to their low ground clearance, just 2mm less than the EQC, but I have just booked and have been allocated to the double deck carriage. Have not used them for awhile but it was tight with a GLK class (precourser to the GLC) and am worrying that the width alone will be a pain as the carriages were decidedly shabby with damage to the kerbs so ripping a tyre is not to be discounted. But what is of more concern is if the EQC can pass over the ramp if directed to a top deck as it is quite a severe angle (I was a regular when we first bought out house here in France). Anyone had any experience?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Seems the EQC on eurotunnel is as rare as seeing them here still yet to see another one in the wild! Anyway I contacted eurotunnel who confirmed they book car location (single or double deck carriages) on height not width or ground clearance but that if I wanted to use the single deck carriage by declaring the vehicle as high, in my case adding a non existant roof box and paying the extra my confirmation would be amended and I could use the high vehicle lanes which I did for 17 euros extra for the return trip.
So anyone concerned about the width or ground clearance of their vehicle should declare it as a high one and you will be booked for the single deck which is wider and much easier to navigate but there is a relatively small but additional price to pay. There is also the chance on less busy days you could end up in single deck as I understand they do sometimes only load the lower decks for ease if there is the space and no doubt they will spill over into empty single deck carriages if needed if again there is the space.
The thought of kerbing the alloys on my car was too much 17 euros is worth paying to avoid it as well as any problems with the top of the top deck ramp if that is where luck put us and the risk of grounding though looking at You tube vids I think actually that is not really a risk.
See less See more
  • Helpful
Reactions: 2
Hi
Yes definitely the way to go. We usually carry bikes on the back and so go on the single wagon, but last time, nothing, and on the double decker. Not at all pleasant to do. You do fit, but it's about ten cm each side. The worst part is going past the loos, as the stick out. Wing mirrors in😁
Reactions: 1
In uk it was easy peasy loading onto the single carriage will always do that in the future!
I've only used out EQC on the single deck carriage as I actually did have a roofbox, but I would not like taking it up the ramp on a double deck carriage so 100%, pay the extra for the oversized roofbox and travel without the stress!
Reactions: 1
1 - 5 of 5 Posts