Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Carwow review (iirc) where the charging speed at a rapid charger was slower than expected but the reviewer later clarified that it was due to the battery not being pre-conditioned for optimal charging.
Is this correct and if so how is the preconditioning activated?
If it is accurate, I could understand if it was automated from selecting a charger from Mercedes Me / navigation services, but for ad hoc charging or charging where the location isn’t supported by MBUX is there a manual way to activate it? (If indeed it is ‘a thing’)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can I set my home charger to be a charging location in MBUX navi so that I can pre-condition the battery ready to charge immediately I get home after a long trip? If so, does anyone know how?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go to here maps editor and add the charging station, as private.
In a few months will appear on the official maps :)
Thanks - please excuse my ignorance (stupidity) but how can I edit the map? Does this also mean people will try to come to my house to charge??? This is all new to me, so I am easily confused!

·
Registered
7 Posts
But this is useless, as at home, you have 11kw Type 2, no need for preconditioning
Actually, my EQA would not start charging from my home wallbox for one and a half hours after I got home from 88 mile trip, 87 of which were on the motorway, so battery was quite hot. I was panicking (only had the car 2 weeks) and called MB Roadside Assistance - engineer told me I should have pre-conditioned the battery but he didn't know how to set up my home charger in the MBUX navi system, so your assistance is very greatly appreciated!(y)

·
Registered
EQC 2020
23 Posts
Actually, my EQA would not start charging from my home wallbox for one and a half hours after I got home from 88 mile trip, 87 of which were on the motorway, so battery was quite hot. I was panicking (only had the car 2 weeks) and called MB Roadside Assistance - engineer told me I should have pre-conditioned the battery but he didn't know how to set up my home charger in the MBUX navi system, so your assistance is very greatly appreciated!(y)
This doesn’t sound right to me, unless the battery was at maximum temperature and the management system prevented energy input. And in the UK our wall charger rating is only 7kW. I plug my EQC in and it starts to charge immediately and is full in 12 hours or less.
My problem is rapid chargers, where my car will not charge faster than 32kW no matter the rating of the charger. I’m taking it to my main dealership for a software update tomorrow, which is supposed to fix the problem. We’ll see!

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are a number of threads on the same subject. This is my response to a previous thread.

I have tried a couple of scenarios that seem to have an effect. If you select a charging station through the button on the dash, 'Search for Charg. Station' find your chosen station and then select it as a destination in the navigation, or the navigation directs you to a charging station as part of the route guidance then it seems that the car knows it is due to be charged and starts to pre-condition the battery. I have been able to charge at 110kW on a battery from about 25%. When the battery capacity gets higher, say 70% the charging rate reduces, and at 85% it drops quite significantly. If I just drove to a charging station not though the navigation route guidance then the charging rate was much lower injection the 40kW range, even when starting at a similar 25%.
Essentially, let the navigation system take you to the charging station for best charging rate.

Also check this link on the specification of the EQC. there is interesting data on range at different ambient temperatures and also shows that the 110Kw charge rate drops off as the battery becomes full.
A bit wordy, but hope it makes sense.

·
Registered
EQC 2020
23 Posts
Clint, you might be onto something! I used the MBUX to find a charger rated at 120kW. I plugged in with about 50% charge and, to my surprise, it charged at 72kW. This is almost double the maximum rate I got in other rapid chargers, when I didn’t use MBUX. I’ll have another go over Easter when I’m off to the West Country. Thanks for the tip (y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts