Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions:
1. Why has Mercedes chosen a very large battery buffer (13.8 kwh), which is significantly larger than other manufactureres' buffers?
2. If one wishes to hold charging to 80% of the EQA's actual 79.8 battery capacity, the usable charge is about 64 kwh. If one holds to 80 percent of the advertised 66 usable capacity, the usable charge is about 53 kwh. The difference is a considerable 11 kwh!

Will some wise person tell me why I should not charge to 64 kwh, based on the above, rather than the very conservative 53 kwh?

·
Registered
EQA 300
22 Posts
There’s no problem with charging to the indicated 100% if you ar going to drive right away, it’s only a bad idea to leave the car sitting for some time with the battery at 100%

·
Registered
EQA
11 Posts
I assumed, possibly incorrectly, that the large buffer was to minimise warranty claims on the battery. I believe the car has an 8 year battery warranty in most countries. This seems like a reasonable timeframe.

And I'll be happy to charge the battery to the full mid 60's kWh on this basis.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Minimise warranty claims would seem another benefit to the manufacturer. And I suspect there is a log somewhere of charging behavior in case somebody tries their own method of charging not recommended in manual

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two questions:
1. Why has Mercedes chosen a very large battery buffer (13.8 kwh), which is significantly larger than other manufactureres' buffers?
2. If one wishes to hold charging to 80% of the EQA's actual 79.8 battery capacity, the usable charge is about 64 kwh. If one holds to 80 percent of the advertised 66 usable capacity, the usable charge is about 53 kwh. The difference is a considerable 11 kwh!

Will some wise person tell me why I should not charge to 64 kwh, based on the above, rather than the very conservative 53 kwh?
Hi
The EQA actual battery size is NOT 79.8kWh...it´s actually only 68.2kWh so the buffert is really small...Have not got this confirmed by Mercedes but from a reliable other source..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts