Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also find it very interesting that a EQS better quipped than an S [except for 0 to 60], is cheaper than a Tesla model S. Tesla's gross margin is in the 40s, while Mercedes is in the low 20s. You get a lot more for your money with a Mercedes
This depends on how loaded you order each car. A fully loaded MSLR is now about $128K (mine came in at about $102K when ordered in March 2021). But the 580 EQS with most options (excluding the rear seat package), is a bit more. Maybe a well equipment 450 is cheaper but the 580 is definitely a little bit more. Obviously a Plaid is more, but that might be more comparable to the AMG. Still, I think you get more for your money with the MB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My point is that for 128 k you can get an EQS 450+ that is so much more than a fully loaded TSLR it's not even close. You give up all wheel drive and you give up a ridiculous 0 to 60 but those two things simply are not worth what you give up.

And for 128K you can get a rweaaly nice 580 as well.

I grew up in Cincinnati and we used to call the useless doodads guys put on cars "Kentucky go-fasters".

What really jacks up the price of an EQS Kentucky are "Kentucky go-fasters", features which are purely cosmetic and have no functional value whatsoever – things like AMG trim inside and out. This is an S class and the base versions are extremely well equipped. There are some truly useful add-ons, like HEPA, and HUD [can't get on a Tesla], and massage seats. You can get all those on a 580 and have a far better equipped car than a fully loaded TMSR for close to the same price.

FSD? I put my EQS in cruise control and it does virtually everything Tesla FSD does, and does it better. Auto park actually really works perfectly every time. And if a car crosses the road a quarter of a mile in front of you it does not slam on the brakes. We regularly drive to a Mountain home 200 miles away on a very twisty road. I set the CC to 75 and never touch it. The radar system in the car anticipated curves and slows down to the perfect speed, if needed. My MS attempted that but never did it well.

Tesla has a much better, much more forceful regeneration. EQS has three regents settings: off, normal, and strong. It's defaults to normal so you have to put it in strong every time, and a strong is not as strong as the Tesla. My theory is that Mercedes nose with a stronger the region, the longer the brakes will last, and it's important for them to feed brake jobs to the dealer network.

The EQS also has this really neat thing called "Blindspot Warning". Your wing mirror -the very first place any driver looks when he's going to change lanes - lights up whenever there's anything in your blind spot! WOW! If you put your turn signal on, and there's a car in your Blindspot, you get a loud beep. WOW WOW! You never have to take your eyes off the road. Is this a new fangled invention? Did they just come out with it? Does any other car have it? I've been driving a Tesla since 2013 so I'm a bit in the dark here.

But I think the 2002 Yugo had one...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My point is that for 128 k you can get an EQS 450+ that is so much more than a fully loaded TSLR it's not even close. You give up all wheel drive and you give up a ridiculous 0 to 60 but those two things simply are not worth what you give up.

And for 128K you can get a rweaaly nice 580 as well.

I grew up in Cincinnati and we used to call the useless doodads guys put on cars "Kentucky go-fasters".

What really jacks up the price of an EQS Kentucky are "Kentucky go-fasters", features which are purely cosmetic and have no functional value whatsoever – things like AMG trim inside and out. This is an S class and the base versions are extremely well equipped. There are some truly useful add-ons, like HEPA, and HUD [can't get on a Tesla], and massage seats. You can get all those on a 580 and have a far better equipped car than a fully loaded TMSR for close to the same price.

FSD? I put my EQS in cruise control and it does virtually everything Tesla FSD does, and does it better. Auto park actually really works perfectly every time. And if a car crosses the road a quarter of a mile in front of you it does not slam on the brakes. We regularly drive to a Mountain home 200 miles away on a very twisty road. I set the CC to 75 and never touch it. The radar system in the car anticipated curves and slows down to the perfect speed, if needed. My MS attempted that but never did it well.

Tesla has a much better, much more forceful regeneration. EQS has three regents settings: off, normal, and strong. It's defaults to normal so you have to put it in strong every time, and a strong is not as strong as the Tesla. My theory is that Mercedes nose with a stronger the region, the longer the brakes will last, and it's important for them to feed brake jobs to the dealer network.

The EQS also has this really neat thing called "Blindspot Warning". Your wing mirror -the very first place any driver looks when he's going to change lanes - lights up whenever there's anything in your blind spot! WOW! If you put your turn signal on, and there's a car in your Blindspot, you get a loud beep. WOW WOW! You never have to take your eyes off the road. Is this a new fangled invention? Did they just come out with it? Does any other car have it? I've been driving a Tesla since 2013 so I'm a bit in the dark here.

But I think the 2002 Yugo had one...
I appreciate your comments and I look forward to experiencing the car for myself. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Compared to my 2014 Tesla Model S, my EQS 580 has much stronger regen on the high setting which is my default. I just wish the car would allow me to set it as THE default. I purchased my EQS 580 last April for 126K (sticker) with the upgraded front seats and the Hyperscreen. The EQS is faster than my 2014 Model S was and I don't care if it is a little slower than a 2022 Model S long range. I do demand that my car have a round steering wheel and stalks for the expected controls. I like having a sunroof, I really like having a power sunshade. Neither would have been an option in a new Model S. I like the leather seats rather than the, "Vegan Leather" on the Model S seats. The upgraded front seats are wonderful. Fit and finish are excellent. While EPA range of the EQS is lower than a Model S LR, my experience so far suggests that real world range is likely rather more comparable. My loss of access to the Supercharger network is a negative but so far, my experience with the Electrify America chargers has been positive and I have 2 years of free, unlimited, 30 minute charging sessions. No regrets so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Craziest circumstance. I am told my 2023 EQS580 is at the Port of Los Angeles, but it cannot be released to my local dealer until Mercedes is ready to release the 2023's which may not be until November, Makes no sense. Maybe it needs a chip or something to make it deliverable?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts