Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
As I anticipated with the minus deg temps here the low coolant warning message comes up when I first use the car, I have done nothing but short or shortish journeys, and usually after the initial message it does not return until after a long park up. I responded to another thread about an EQV loosing coolant today and I add this info to this thread:-

“The first time I checked the levels in the tank on the left which is the one you check the level in according to my EQC manual it just covered the T marker at the bottom ie at the level it should be apparently. This am before using the car I went out and checked it and the level was to the top of the tank and the one on the right also had liquid as it always has had about half full. I got the message only on the drivers screen not on the central screen ( I have seen a message there before in basic script like DOS in windows which inc the message go to the garage) but it did not register in the maintenance messages. The liquid was warm not hot but warmer than ambient (it was around -2.5C). Went out did some short journeys and the left tank stayed at the same level. The car has been on charge today and the level was the same after a few hours the left tank was no longer above but was at ambient temperature the right was warm so liquid is clearly circulating around as the battery was charging (from 18 to 60% so the lower end of the range), and indeed I have often heard it trickling back into the right side tank at all sorts of times and scenarios.
I am now left wondering where is the sensor that says the liquid is low as the tank I am required to fill looked full? Perplexing but it does not sound quite the same as your issues.
I really do not want to go back to my garage if I can resolve the issue by just putting some liquid in as it is a 200km 2.5hr round trip so a pain in the proverbial as it is to get MB antifreeze is an hours round trip. I will drop them a line and see what they say but I expect the usual bring it in for us to look at it response which is not that simple!”

I will keep this thread updated.

· Registered
24 Posts
As I anticipated with the minus deg temps here the low coolant warning message comes up when I first use the car, I have done nothing but short or shortish journeys, and usually after the initial message it does not return until after a long park up. I responded to another thread about an EQV loosing coolant today and I add this info to this thread:-
Do you remove the cap and see the coolant level rise?

If so - it will just be the cap that is faulty. Have your garage send you another one in the mail.

· Registered
583 Posts
Do you remove the cap and see the coolant level rise?

If so - it will just be the cap that is faulty. Have your garage send you another one in the mail.
No the coolant did not rise in the left hand tank did not notice the righthand. Anyway popped into my selling dealer today and bought the requisite liquid and they topped up the system with about 350ml and he said put some in both tanks. I will check the levels in the morning but there was no message saved from yesterday when I made several very short journeys in very cold weather so they had cleared automatically and the message did not pop up when I set off today but it was 10deg warmer! Garage actually said the liquid reduces in volume in cold weather and were actually quite relaxed about the whole situation not considering it unusual in general ie they see all types cars with this popping up from time to time one assumes hence the packaging of 1.5 litres of the stuff for the consumer.
what was funny was the parts manager whom we know quite well and his look of utter perplexion when we asked for some, he said but you have an electric car??? The service receptionist (who has graduated from the Workshop over the years) chipped in there was still a need for it in electric cars and then took over and did the top up.
I will now monitor and report back, I will leave checking the levels until tomorrow morning so I am looking at a cool car as I have done before.
Other good news was my sales guy who is actually the manager popped over to discuss what the porblem was were we happy etc and he assured us they are selling enough electric now that they will be getting EQ repair authrised status so I will not have to go to the Le Mans branch which is another 3/4 hr drive away from the selling dealership For the next service. Fingers crossed they do……
Watch this space….

· Registered
583 Posts
Just to help anyone wondering what level the coolant should be here are photos of mine I took this am after it had been standing overnight. You can clearly see the t marker on the lefthand tank it should be filled to just cover that and no higher than where it meets the change of material to the black colour.
Also a pick of the left had tank which was much lower before the garage refilled it too. The photo is not clear but inside are some structures one of which houses two metal pins (top rh side of photo and just visible) probably the sensor? This tank is the one you hear water trickling into at all times of the day and night whether the car is on or off cold or warm, not continuous but fairly regular intervals. Given there are pressure caps on bith one assumes there is evaporation happening so I am hopeful that is all the issue is in my case. I will monitor and update the thread for the benefit of others. Camera lens Camera accessory Motor vehicle Automotive tire Cameras & optics
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2022 EQB, low coolant warning consistently. Noticed the level was low, opened the cap and air lock released and levels came up. Last a couple of weeks and it happened again, cleared again by releasing air. Just cleared the third occurrence in two months. Any idea why there are air locks???

· Registered
583 Posts
No but given the post by jakemc-eqc ( no 42) it could be there is some issue with the pressure caps there being one on each tank. I would contact you garage.
In my case when checking and removing the caps there has not been any pressure release or more importantly change in level. I have checked the car when cold which is why I did not expect there to be pressure released by the caps. The level seems stable since it was topped up but I will monitor over the long term.

· Registered
4 Posts
My EQC was registered in October 22 and has had low coolant amber warning twice. Both times I topped off with a small amount of the correct grade coolant. I did notice that on opening the cap, pressure is released the the header tank refills. Booked it in for 4th Jan. Got the message again 3rd Jan. Dealer saying that a valve part needs to be ordered (expect 2 week wait). Perhaps they mean filler cap? I continue to drive and advised just to open the filler cap if I get the error on the dash in the meantime....

· Registered
583 Posts
My EQC was registered in October 22 and has had low coolant amber warning twice. Both times I topped off with a small amount of the correct grade coolant. I did notice that on opening the cap, pressure is released the the header tank refills. Booked it in for 4th Jan. Got the message again 3rd Jan. Dealer saying that a valve part needs to be ordered (expect 2 week wait). Perhaps they mean filler cap? I continue to drive and advised just to open the filler cap if I get the error on the dash in the meantime....
I think someone else made reference to a valve issue on an EQA.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had the coolant level low notification come on a few days after I bought it. After a lot of reading about other EQC drivers having issues with air locks I ended up opening the two coolant caps and a rush of air came out of the first one (on the left) since then no coolant warnings.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have also the error of refilling coolant showing in the Dashboard. The first time i went to the dealer they refilled the coolant but this appeared again as the problem is that from time to time the levels of the two bottles of coolant become uneven. They told me to go again to bleed the coolant and replace it (just in case there is an airlock) .

· Registered
22 Posts
Our EQC had the coolant temperature warning (not top up) after a few miles, then the red coolant message “stop”!

Mercedes Me call advised we could travel home (<2miles). Breakdown guy arrived 8 hours later (Tuesday), he was a standard RAC man and thought he couldn’t connect to ECU to diagnose the fault. He said a MB tech guy might not even be available the next day, so we opted to have it recovered to our local MB dealer, MB of Bath. Recovery truck arrived 3:30 the next afternoon. MB of Bath were on standby and immediately put the car on their diagnostic machine, it advised a huge list of tests 😱

Our problem was we need the car to get to the airport for a holiday on Friday

MB rang the next day (Thursday) to say parts were on order, but would not arrive in time to fit for our holiday. So I rolled out my Alfa Spider which I keep for dry/ sunny days and a friend offered to take my Son and my suitcase the following morning.

Anyway, MB of Bath fixed the car and delivered it home on the Tuesday.

So, alls well that ends well!

Funny thing, I’d almost forgotten how to fuel the Alfa with petrol for the trip, we’ve got very used to plugging in the EQC

😉

· Registered
583 Posts
Our EQC had the coolant temperature warning (not top up) after a few miles, then the red coolant message “stop”!

Mercedes Me call advised we could travel home (<2miles). Breakdown guy arrived 8 hours later (Tuesday), he was a standard RAC man and thought he couldn’t connect to ECU to diagnose the fault. He said a MB tech guy might not even be available the next day, so we opted to have it recovered to our local MB dealer, MB of Bath. Recovery truck arrived 3:30 the next afternoon. MB of Bath were on standby and immediately put the car on their diagnostic machine, it advised a huge list of tests 😱

Our problem was we need the car to get to the airport for a holiday on Friday

MB rang the next day (Thursday) to say parts were on order, but would not arrive in time to fit for our holiday. So I rolled out my Alfa Spider which I keep for dry/ sunny days and a friend offered to take my Son and my suitcase the following morning.

Anyway, MB of Bath fixed the car and delivered it home on the Tuesday.

So, alls well that ends well!

Funny thing, I’d almost forgotten how to fuel the Alfa with petrol for the trip, we’ve got very used to plugging in the EQC

😉
Did they say what the problem was? Did MB Bath offer any kind of support such as a loan car or MB mobilo? Did Mercedes Bath sell you the car?
Glad you are happy but if you had not had an alternative car to use it would have been difficult.

· Registered
22 Posts
Did they say what the problem was? Did MB Bath offer any kind of support such as a loan car or MB mobilo? Did Mercedes Bath sell you the car?
Glad you are happy but if you had not had an alternative car to use it would have been difficult.
Hi Parkwood

We are still away, so we’ll catch up with the dealer when we get back to find out what was wrong and what parts they replaced.

Yes they offered a loan car, but we declined because it’s a 30 min journey to the airport, and it seemed churlish to have a loan car, just to put it in an airport carpark for the week!

Yes we bought the car from MB Bath, a 9 month old demonstrator

😎

· Registered
583 Posts
Hi Parkwood

We are still away, so we’ll catch up with the dealer when we get back to find out what was wrong and what parts they replaced.

Yes they offered a loan car, but we declined because it’s a 30 min journey to the airport, and it seemed churlish to have a loan car, just to put it in an airport carpark for the week!

Yes we bought the car from MB Bath, a 9 month old demonstrator

😎
Sort of service I would expect and your goodwill is also nice. Have a great holiday😉

· Registered
EQC400 -20
39 Posts
Just drive about 15km to my work with EQC and halfway through the journey, a loud, occasionally stuttering sound appeared from the left front (driver's side). The noise disappeared when accelerating and when stationary.

Under the bonnet there is coolant/water pump (text: kühlmittelpumpe) approximately where the sound came from.

Anyone had a similar experience?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts