Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should say up front, I'm very impressed.

To be honest it's taken a while to properly understand them. And even now just seeing who clever they are set to Auto.

I've done a good few thousand miles now in the UK on our marvellous undulating roads, foul weather and Winter darkness and surprisingly sunny days and not once have I been flashed by another driver for over bearing light output.

Dove to the Welsh coast Sunday on mountainous roads and as a result you could see the black squares and rectangles blocking out the glare light to other drivers. Also the road side and sign lighting is particularly good.

Probably doesn't impress so much on lit motorway straight driving ... I didn't even notice I had it doing those early days miles. But on the country roads with changing lighting and conditions it's highly impressive. Maybe it's common place on other cars, not sure, but I've not took a new car in a while so certainly new to me.

· Registered
20 Posts
Should say up front, I'm very impressed.

To be honest it's taken a while to properly understand them. And even now just seeing who clever they are set to Auto.

I've done a good few thousand miles now in the UK on our marvellous undulating roads, foul weather and Winter darkness and surprisingly sunny days and not once have I been flashed by another driver for over bearing light output.

Dove to the Welsh coast Sunday on mountainous roads and as a result you could see the black squares and rectangles blocking out the glare light to other drivers. Also the road side and sign lighting is particularly good.

Probably doesn't impress so much on lit motorway straight driving ... I didn't even notice I had it doing those early days miles. But on the country roads with changing lighting and conditions it's highly impressive. Maybe it's common place on other cars, not sure, but I've not took a new car in a while so certainly new to me.
I have been very impressed with the lights and their ability to black out any other cars so as not to dazzle them. Only once has it done the incredible thing of projecting something onto the road for me - driving on a dark country road at night with no pavement (sidewalk) there was a person walking a dog and it immediately drew a circle around them on the floor to highlight them. It was gone in a flash as I drove past. I desperately want to see it again!!

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been very impressed with the lights and their ability to black out any other cars so as not to dazzle them. Only once has it done the incredible thing of projecting something onto the road for me - driving on a dark country road at night with no pavement (sidewalk) there was a person walking a dog and it immediately drew a circle around them on the floor to highlight them. It was gone in a flash as I drove past. I desperately want to see it again!!
You seen that happen Nick? I've seen zero to date in that department. I thought they were outlawed under UK law. Was what MB CAC emailed me before purchase. But hoping you are right.

I checked the dash setting it appears everything is optioned 'on' but so far no projected zebra crossing etc.

Do we have a definitely list of those projections and what they do?

· Registered
20 Posts
I also thought it was not allowed under UK law. It has only happened one time (was it a glitch?) but it absolutely clearly projected circles around the person walking her dog as I drove along the road. I even shouted wow look at that! to my passenger as I was so surprised and delighted to see it happening. But it was gone in a flash as I drove past.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also thought it was not allowed under UK law. It has only happened one time (was it a glitch?) but it absolutely clearly projected circles around the person walking her dog as I drove along the road. I even shouted wow look at that! to my passenger as I was so surprised and delighted to see it happening. But it was gone in a flash as I drove past.
:) .... yeah I'll bet. Those little light show bits are really quite good and fairly tasteful at the same time. Even the internal LED strips if used with a little restraint. If used full bore then a bit Southend on Sea weekend custom cruise..... says he who has never actually seen that but heard about it!!!! They have a similar thing on the edge of the Birmingham rind road.

It does seem contradictory regulation wise. You would think the in dash options would be greyed out if it were against country law and yet, there they are.

· Registered
583 Posts
You seen that happen Nick? I've seen zero to date in that department. I thought they were outlawed under UK law. Was what MB CAC emailed me before purchase. But hoping you are right.

I checked the dash setting it appears everything is optioned 'on' but so far no projected zebra crossing etc.

Do we have a definitely list of those projections and what they do?
Have the EQC which has an earlier version which is not quite so wide in the hazards it highlights but for me the zebra crossing will only show if there is a pedestrian in the vicinity and standing or moving in a in a way that might indicate an intention to cross. So approach a zebra crossing and there are no pedestrians there is no warning, approach and pedestrians are waiting to cross and it will flash up. Am sure if it is allowed here it would be allowed in U.K. unless the Brexit vandals have got to the legislation already. my car is a 21 model so all the certification was done when the U.K. was still a member.

· Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have the EQC which has an earlier version which is not quite so wide in the hazards it highlights but for me the zebra crossing will only show if there is a pedestrian in the vicinity and standing or moving in a in a way that might indicate an intention to cross. So approach a zebra crossing and there are no pedestrians there is no warning, approach and pedestrians are waiting to cross and it will flash up. Am sure if it is allowed here it would be allowed in U.K. unless the Brexit vandals have got to the legislation already. my car is a 21 model so all the certification was done when the U.K. was still a member.
Well put Parkwood .... Brexit vandals .... like that. Well I don't like where they have put us but your phrase is on the money. Lunacy.

I've not yet seen what you and Nickster have seen but I'm hoping it's there. The lighting systems on the EQS are (so far) very good.

· Registered
583 Posts
Well put Parkwood .... Brexit vandals .... like that. Well I don't like where they have put us but your phrase is on the money. Lunacy.

I've not yet seen what you and Nickster have seen but I'm hoping it's there. The lighting systems on the EQS are (so far) very good.
It caused me 5 years of intense worry and stress but I am now all sorted having been successful in my application for French citizenship so I have a jaded view having had the ground pulled from under my feet! I feel deeply sad for the U.K. though where I still have some very close friends and for their families.
Starting to think about the EQC replacement bit shocked at the prices I have to say, the EQE SUV seems to have much of the same technology as the EQS and is the only current option for me.The EQC really is dated interior wise now and I do wonder how the dedicated electric chassis drive as opposed to my ICE conversion with which I am still very happy apart from the dated interior but I can live with that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts