Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi.
How was the contactor wired and controlled? I'm assuming it it must be on the output from the charger (mine's a tethered cable so envisage having to cut the cable and put contactor in between).
Nope, it's upstream of the EVSE, actually even upstream of the RCD/breaker for the EVSE. So the EVSE just sees it as a blackout. It's remotely controlled by the energy company in a scheme known as "controlled loads" and typically used for pool pumps, storage hotwater tanks and EVs. In return for giving them that control, they give you cheaper rates. As an added incentive (at least here in Qld) making it a controlled load allows you to set it to 32A. If it's wired to the always-on meter, you can only set it to 20A (I'm talking single phase... slightly different rules for 3 phase). It's typically only switched off for a few hours per day (7:00 to 9:00 and again at 18:00 to 19:30) so doesn't disrupt overnight charging much at all.

Assuming your energy company doesn't have such a scheme, then you could control the contactor with a simple timer, something like this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nope, it's upstream of the EVSE, actually even upstream of the RCD/breaker for the EVSE. So the EVSE just sees it as a blackout. It's remotely controlled by the energy company in a scheme known as "controlled loads" and typically used for pool pumps, storage hotwater tanks and EVs. In return for giving them that control, they give you cheaper rates. As an added incentive (at least here in Qld) making it a controlled load allows you to set it to 32A. If it's wired to the always-on meter, you can only set it to 20A (I'm talking single phase... slightly different rules for 3 phase). It's typically only switched off for a few hours per day (7:00 to 9:00 and again at 18:00 to 19:30) so doesn't disrupt overnight charging much at all.

Assuming your energy company doesn't have such a scheme, then you could control the contactor with a simple timer, something like this.
Thanks for the info.
I'm unable to fit upstream as no room in the supply box fitted by the company who installed the charger (feed directly off the meter supply via 32A breaker (see photo))k

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm unable to fit upstream as no room in the supply box fitted by the company who installed the charger (feed directly off the meter supply via 32A breaker (see photo))k
Actually, I think you're well set up for adding a timer to that. You've already got the 40A contactor (the right most device) as part of your Broyce voltage monitor, and you've got a spare slot to the right of that which would take that timer I referenced above. Consult with your local sparkie, but I think putting the timer switch in series with the output of the voltage monitor would do what you want. Then the contactor would only close when the voltage is in-spec and the timer allows it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, I think you're well set up for adding a timer to that. You've already got the 40A contactor (the right most device) as part of your Broyce voltage monitor, and you've got a spare slot to the right of that which would take that timer I referenced above. Consult with your local sparkie, but I think putting the timer switch in series with the output of the voltage monitor would do what you want. Then the contactor would only close when the voltage is in-spec and the timer allows it.
Info much appreciated. Now just got to find a suitable certified Electrician.
Not sure if you've already specified it but would the timer only have to be rated for the contactor control side or for the full 40A?
Cheerz
John
Quick update. BP came and fitted the manual timer just over a week ago. It fits inside the fuse box that was installed with the charger. It works perfectly. The car is now charging each night during the off peak window 00:30-04:30. You can override it by pressing a button and the car will immediately start charging.
I know this isn’t smart and in 2021 this shouldn’t be happening but I plug in every night and it just works. I can live with this until BP release their new WiFi enabled charger.
Hi.
Any chance you can post a photo of the timer update?
I'm in the same position where I'm going back and forth with BP regarding lack of night charge capability.
I've been told by someone else on this Forum that my set up is good to go to fit a timer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick update. BP came and fitted the manual timer just over a week ago. It fits inside the fuse box that was installed with the charger. It works perfectly. The car is now charging each night during the off peak window 00:30-04:30. You can override it by pressing a button and the car will immediately start charging.
I know this isn’t smart and in 2021 this shouldn’t be happening but I plug in every night and it just works. I can live with this until BP release their new WiFi enabled charger.
Chris.
Any chance of a photo of the set up where the timer fitted?
Just had a quote of £85 to supply and fit.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts