Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another new rendering has dropped which has electrified Mercs AMG SL. It follows the same sort of design cues that we've seen from other Merc EQ concepts and with so many new models planned for the sub brand, I think it would be a worthwhile venture. Sales have been falling for the SL in recent years, and something like this could help to revive it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BMW and Rolls Royce have plans to bring some premium hybrid and EV vehicles to market, I bet that really got MB into gear. Can't wait.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like it and I think its a good design direction for them to expand upon. Not only would it probably have better performance, but it would also make the car more economical.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One thing we can't forget either is that, this segment of buyers is the easiest to convince to going green.

Also, starting with flagship models helps to win others who can only afford less as it trickles down!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its a fantastic way for MB to revitalize models where sales have fallen flat. Practicality has become a focus even on performance roadsters and that's why we've seen models like the new LC500 go hybrid.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The NSX has been around for years with a hybrid powertrain and there are rumors of a hybrid 911 in the next couple as well. Since MB has so many new models planned by the 2020's I would expect some of them to be premium sports coupes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interest in these kinds of sports cars has dropped over the past few years, especially since you can get better levels of performance out of 4 door electric sedans. The main way this could have an advantage is by keeping weight down, as most of the EV's that we see are in excess of 4,500lbs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Once the Tesla Roadster S comes out it will be scary for supercar makers that need to find other ways to stand out. The new Roadster can keep up with F1 cars lol

The new Tesla Roadster is Formula One car fast. ... Electric cars deliver a gigantic wallop of torque from a standstill, and Tesla's new sports car will warp to 60mph in 1.9 seconds – that's Formula One car fast – hit 100mph in 4.2 seconds, the quarter mile in 8.8, and, claims the company, exceed 250mph all out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
But will it wear out and breakdown as often as Formula 1 cars do. Surely something so high performance is going to wear on its components much more quickly. Those specs are pretty staggering.

·
Registered
209 Posts
But will it wear out and breakdown as often as Formula 1 cars do. Surely something so high performance is going to wear on its components much more quickly. Those specs are pretty staggering.
I realized Tesla has been sinking when it comes to reliability but with the rise in competition it more of a reason for them take the Toyota approach.
Plus you have to ask, why has it taken them this long to bring back a roadster.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts