Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been done to death.
New EQA delivered this week.
Love the car but I’m concerned about range.
260 miles advertised (yeah right)
206 miles 100% charged (bit disappointing)
100 miles real world
All miles in town, does town driving & heating really kill the range by 50%
Driving pretty cautiously.
Just discovered Dauto mode.
Am I missing something else??

·
Registered
198 Posts
100 miles in town driving would likely take hours after which you would be recommended to take a rest break for yourself for for safety according to the Highway Code, and which can be taken while charging the car. Here is a good introduction video. I would check tyre pressure is same as recommended by Mercedes, after car has been parked for 3 hours. I would set climate control to Auto mode and a comfortable 22C as the car has a heat pump to help heating efficiency in cold weather.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100 miles in town driving would likely take hours after which you would be recommended to take a rest break for yourself for for safety according to the Highway Code, and which can be taken while charging the car. Here is a good introduction video. I would check tyre pressure is same as recommended by Mercedes, after car has been parked for 3 hours. I would set climate control to Auto mode and a comfortable 22C as the car has a heat pump to help heating efficiency in cold weather.

Thanks for posting video

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
The range as you probably know is "veeery" dependant on a lot of different factors...speed/temperature/how often the compartment is heated and so on....and the stated range that is advertised is done in laboratory environment in perfect conditions for the vehicle and skilled drivers that know the perfect efficiency driving this vehicle and light spec of vehicle.
Just driving in winter conditions will cut range by 25%...and drivingstyle is veeeeery important when changing to a EV vehicle compared to ICE..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I wouldn’t have expected to get close to the 250 miles advertised I was surprised however that the 200 miles full charge was tracking at 50% with conservative driving.
I hadn’t appreciated I needed to turn on the brake regeneration which seems to be making a difference, that and turning off A/C.

Appreciate the reply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello, we have a eqa with 1800miles on the clock, the range does get better belive me, but as others have said the cold does have a large impact on the max miles. we charge ours to 80% and this gives us 189miles so I'm hoping when the weather warms up it will get better. However & this is a big one.... when the car says it will do 189 you never actually get 189miles of distance, it always goes down for us maybe around 20 to 30 miles. for example if we set a destination on the sat nav which is 80miles away in theory if we start with 189 when we arrive it should have 109 miles left to get home. well that never seems to happen we always have about 20 to 30 miles less, so driving styles, weather etc has an effect on the range. when it comes to range l have now learnt that plenty of planning is necessary & frequent stops with DC charging is the best option. my range anxiety has gone, but what concerns me most is that when I arrive at the charge point it will be in use by other ev cars. So basically don't worry about the cars range but do more careful charging plans. l now have plan A, plan B, Plan C and D just in case......... hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for posting.
I agree planning for any EV is needed especially on longer trips.
I’m 2 weeks in & I’m really surprised at the poor range numbers I’m getting.
For example last week 100% charge shows range of 214 miles, it’s tracking real world at 126 miles.
I’ve got a/c off , regen set to Dauto, 20c cabin temp.
Also I’m driving real easy.
It’s mild here in Scotland for Jan (8c) in the morning.
Looks like the heating required every day from cold is the killer.
I know pre heating is recommended but 1 of the reasons I binned my gja250e was the daily charging pain.
Hey ho there’s bigger problems in the world, I’m just pretty disappointed in what is a major ££ car purchase for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for posting.
I agree planning for any EV is needed especially on longer trips.
I’m 2 weeks in & I’m really surprised at the poor range numbers I’m getting.
For example last week 100% charge shows range of 214 miles, it’s tracking real world at 126 miles.
I’ve got a/c off , regen set to Dauto, 20c cabin temp.
Also I’m driving real easy.
It’s mild here in Scotland for Jan (8c) in the morning.
Looks like the heating required every day from cold is the killer.
I know pre heating is recommended but 1 of the reasons I binned my gja250e was the daily charging pain.
Hey ho there’s bigger problems in the world, I’m just pretty disappointed in what is a major ££ car purchase for me.
Hello, I can appreciate your frustration, my average consumption since new is 2.6mpkhw. we did a 500mile holiday trip & l got it up to 3.1 but it didn't change the average. we have got into the habit of using the paddles to maximise the regen particularly putting it in D + so as to coast as much as possible and then using the paddles to brake, it's very different to driving an ice car & takes time to get used to it. l still have to concentrate on what I'm doing but hopefully it will soon become second nature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, totally new to this I’ve assumed Dauto was best for improving range with D+ the worst.
I need to try different options & see what my sweet spot is.
I’ve averaged 1.8mpkwh which isn’t great.
Thanks for the info.
A

·
Registered
1 Posts
100 miles real world
I will shortly take possession of a new EQA and enjoy reading about the experiences of other EV enthusiasts. I liken the planning aspect of EV driving to when I was much younger when credit cards were none existent and cash was in short supply. If the ICE vehicle ran out of fuel, there it stayed until dad came to the rescue with a drum of fuel. This happened a number of times while I was a lowly paid apprentice, so I am prepared to get a little nostalgic if the battery gets to zero, if it does it will be no-ones fault but my own. Enjoy the EV's ladies and gentlemen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
100 miles real world
I have also noted a drop off from the original 260 that I had when I took delivery, have never achieved that again and recently charged fully and it is set at 199 miles. Find this disconcerting albeit I really like the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have also noted a drop off from the original 260 that I had when I took delivery, have never achieved that again and recently charged fully and it is set at 199 miles. Find this disconcerting albeit I really like the car.
Hey thanks for reply.
Are you getting close to 199 actual miles?
For what it’s worth my mate has an EQC & he’s been told because his regular driving/charging pattern shows he charges every day at work the car doesn’t fully charge the battery to protect it. I wasn’t sure if this was sales BS but I guess it’s possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey thanks for reply.
Are you getting close to 199 actual miles?
For what it’s worth my mate has an EQC & he’s been told because his regular driving/charging pattern shows he charges every day at work the car doesn’t fully charge the battery to protect it. I wasn’t sure if this was sales BS but I guess it’s possible.
Originally they advise charging to 80% but this is not practicle for me and many others. I like the car but disppointed that every time I charge it drops lower. I charged 3 days ago and had 214 now once again full charge 199. It is slowly dropping off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned mine, a 250 AMG Line since June 2021 and now have just over 15000 miles on it. Just had the first service £274. I use D-Auto and have found when I drive around town or normal roads and drive normally, i.e. lifting off when indicated instead of foot hard down all the time, I get pretty much what the estimate says, around 260. On motorways (most of my driving, always at the speed limit, mainly on cruise control) I get around 20 miles less i.e. around 240 miles. Note that this then affects the estimate next charge. Over winter when it was less than 10 outside it dropped down to around 220, minimum 211. (Car always garaged overnight) I have always driven it the same as if it was an ICE car. On a recent trip to Germany did 100mph (limited by the car) on the autobahn for an extended period and the range dropped off quite quickly, but still would have achieved 180 miles. I always charge to 100% and had a max estimated of 283 miles last summer. Recently tried Hypermiling as an exercise and got over 3.5 mpkwh average and actually gained 6 miles over the start estimate.
Still haven't worked out what the Bonus Miles number on the Display relates to as it has never corresponded to anything else.
Really happy with the car, just wish I had got a fully loaded Premium Plus, (no longer available), as I miss things I have had on previous cars such as Adaptive Cruise, 360 camera, electric memory seats and keyless entry.
Incidentally my trip to Germany was 3000km, around 1875 miles, On Eurotunnel via Nantes to Ravensburg, used the Satnav to plan Mercedes Me rapid chargers, mainly Ionity, and the total charging bill came to 140 euros, £122.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts