Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my EQA250 for a little under a month. My impressions on these two aspects of the car are as important to me as energy economy and recharge capability.

I have only driven the car on sealed roads to date - and mostly in low speed urban situations at that. In terms of ride quality, I would rank the car as 'acceptable'. Its main deficiencies in my opinion are the tendency to pitch and sway (especially in Comfort setting) with some ride harshness and associated suspension noise when passing over irregularities where road surface patching has been poorly executed, or where there is a slight subsidance in narrow trench repairs. This seems to be somewhat inconsistent: sometimes I expect to experience a significant 'hit' - and it's more benign - whereas on other occasions, the harshness is more severe than anticipated. The pitching is probably a consequence of the car's relatively short wheelbase and high driving position.

My tyre pressures are set to the recommended 270kPa all round. I suspect this relatively high pressure is necessary due to the car's weight and as a contributor to energy efficiency. I might try a slightly lower pressure (say 265kPa) to see if it makes any difference to ride harshness. I am relieved to note that my car isn't fitted with run-flat tyres, as I suspect they would contribute to greater harshness.

In terms of other noises and vibration, I'm pleased with the relative quietness of the car, especially on smooth roads. I haven't travelled very far at freeway speeds (100-110kph), but I have been pleased with the relatively low levels of road noise and wind noise and I find the small amount of motor noise - evident when accelerating and decelerating - quite acceptable in both quality and volume (loudness).

I consider seat comfort, ergonomics and general build integrity as characteristics broadly relevant to ride quality and NVH. I am pleased with the quality of the front seats of my EQA and the driving position achievable with the electric memory seats fitted, although I would prefer a little lower window line. I am also happy with the build quality; for example, all doors close with a typically satisfying Merc 'thunk'.

I hope my impressions prompt comments from other EQA owners.

·
Registered
EQA 300
79 Posts
I wondered if you had the 19” wheels on your 250 as my 300 has 18” wheels and doesn’t have any of the harshness in the ride that you have found. I have Michelin crossclimate 2 tyres and as I had a 360 mile trip with my trailer to make last week, I increased the tyre pressures from 40 to 42psi and really didn’t notice any difference in ride quality. I have found the suspension to be a bit soft for high speeds on the comfort setting, making the handling a bit imprecise, but it’s not a sports car after all and it’s very comfortable under most conditions. I agree with you on the noise levels especially on smooth tarmac. The seating position suits me well also, although I’m 6ft tall I have ample headroom and legroom. I have found the heater to be less than perfect as it seems to work for a short time then just blows cold air for the rest of the journey irrespective of the cabin temperature. I also hate the tinted windows. Other than that I’m very happy with the car so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm envious: 18" wheels! Australian vehicle distributors seem to have an obsession with large wheels. I can't think of a new car I've bought in the last 20 or 30 years which was supplied with sensibly sized wheels/tyres; they're always at least an inch too large in my opinion.

The EQA300 hasn't been released in Australia yet and my betting is that it'll only be offered here with 20" wheels. Also, our EQAs don't have a tow rating, so you can't even (legally) tow a small 2-wheel trailer with an EQA in Australia! For that, read: more envy of the UK EQA market!

I agree to a large extent with your comment about the softness of the Comfort setting; however, given that softness, I am quite pleasantly surprised with the handling in Comfort mode.

I mentioned what I described as a "swaying" motion. I particularly note this in slow speed manoeuvres, such as entering our property and garage, where the car passes (slowly) over a few humps and bumps. It's as if the hydraulic pressure in the dampers is lowered significantly, as the passage over those "humps and bumps" is accompanied by a sort of wobble: the car body sways from side to side several times - instead of settling immediately - as if there's little or no damper control. I should try the Sport setting and see what effect that has in those circumstances.

Driver's seating position: I too am a little over 6' tall - with long legs - and I initially approached the EQA with some trepidation, as I don't find my wife's 2016 B250 very comfortable as a driver, mainly due to the position of the door pull/window control 'bulge': I find it a very uncomfortable resting place for my right knee! I don't have that problem with the EQA. The only issue I'm in the process of resolving is the optimal backrest angle and lumbar setting.

Temperature control: It's late autumn here and we've had fairly mild weather during the month I've owned my EQA, so I haven't experienced much cold weather driving. I have, however, noted the point you make about initial heating being followed by waft of cool air. I anticipate shutting the face-level vents off in winter - or directing them away from the driver and passengers - and only having them open during the warmer months when cool air conditioned air is welcome. That said, I suspect we'll feel cool air generally once the car has been heated, so I guess the alternative is to keep adjusting the temperature. What then is the point of the Auto setting?

Tinted windows: I don't mind the window tint; however, I'm not aware that it has UV-protection properties. In Australia, a common 'accessory' is UV-rated window tinting, offered in different shades of tint, to protect occupants from sun damage. Our transport authorities only allow tinting to a specific level - and it differs by state. I have known people who have moved from a more tolerant state to one with stricter regulations and their car has been defected pending removal of the tint. I assume the EQA window tint is embedded in the glass, not a film applied to the glass surface.

·
Registered
EQA
20 Posts
I find the ride quality good rather than acceptable. Maybe I'm coming from cars with lesser ride quality, so am easy to please. My wheels are 20 inch with tyre pressures unchanged at 41PSI / 280kPa. I once had a car with run-flats and although it drove like it was on rails, the ride quality was too harsh for my liking. So I'm also happy the EQA is on "normal" tyres. I haven't pushed the EQA through the twisty bits, so can't really comment on pitch or sway, except to say I've noticed some pitch when negotiating speed humps. Nothing excessive, though.

I do notice the engine whine during changes in speed. I often drive with no audio on, so every little sound becomes more obvious. But the engine whine is at a low level and not a problem.

The NVH is exemplary and makes the cabin a joyous place to be in. I guess any EV would be better than almost any ICE vehicle when it come to engine NVH. I'm pleasantly surprised at how quiet the cabin is with respect to external noises. I believe the windows are not double glazed, so maybe the glass is thicker.

The climate control system is not the most user friendlly. It takes a bit of menu delving to get what you want.

My front side windows have been left untinted.... so far. I may have them tinted later this year if the summer sun causes discomfort.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've now tried the following:
  • tyre pressures lowered to 265kPa; and
  • Dynamic Drive (pressed switch; switched restoration display ON) set to Sport.
I'm pleased with the reduced harshness (tyre pressure-related, I believe) and more controlled ride (Sport suspension setting); however, I concede that this experiment has so far been limited to slow speed urban driving. I intend to try the Individual Dynamic Select option, with all settings on Comfort, other than suspension (Sport).

The Owner's Manual says the Sport setting is "only suitable for good road conditions, a dry road surface and a clear stretch of road": maybe it will become more apparent with further experience in different conditions, but I find this 'warning' a bit hard to fathom. From my limited drive I would rank the EQA's Sport setting one of the milder 'Sports' of the dynamically adjustable cars I've driven (all others have been ICE vehicles); the suspension seems to be tightened just a little without the ride becoming harsh or brittle.

If I persist with the slightly lower tyre pressures, I'll watch for uneven tyre wear, although I'd be happy to concede some tyre life for a less harsh ride.

FDR, if you happen to read this post, I would appreciate it if you'd let us know what size 18" tyres are fitted to your car. My research has turned up two 18" sizes for the EQA: 235/55R18 (on 7.5Jx18 ET53.5 rims - same rim width and offset as my 19s) and 215/60R18 (on 6.5Jx18 ET44.5 rims). I think the latter is a mud and snow tyre.

·
Registered
EQA 300
79 Posts
I've now tried the following:
  • tyre pressures lowered to 265kPa; and
  • Dynamic Drive (pressed switch; switched restoration display ON) set to Sport.
I'm pleased with the reduced harshness (tyre pressure-related, I believe) and more controlled ride (Sport suspension setting); however, I concede that this experiment has so far been limited to slow speed urban driving. I intend to try the Individual Dynamic Select option, with all settings on Comfort, other than suspension (Sport).

The Owner's Manual says the Sport setting is "only suitable for good road conditions, a dry road surface and a clear stretch of road": maybe it will become more apparent with further experience in different conditions, but I find this 'warning' a bit hard to fathom. From my limited drive I would rank the EQA's Sport setting one of the milder 'Sports' of the dynamically adjustable cars I've driven (all others have been ICE vehicles); the suspension seems to be tightened just a little without the ride becoming harsh or brittle.

If I persist with the slightly lower tyre pressures, I'll watch for uneven tyre wear, although I'd be happy to concede some tyre life for a less harsh ride.

FDR, if you happen to read this post, I would appreciate it if you'd let us know what size 18" tyres are fitted to your car. My research has turned up two 18" sizes for the EQA: 235/55R18 (on 7.5Jx18 ET53.5 rims - same rim width and offset as my 19s) and 215/60R18 (on 6.5Jx18 ET44.5 rims). I think the latter is a mud and snow tyre.
I would expect your reduced tyre pressure will work fine as the recommended lower pressure is shown as being for three passengers and luggage so if you drive alone or with one passenger and no or very little luggage the pressure could be safely reduced.
My tyres are 235/55R18 Michelin crossclimate 2 load rate 104 on 7.5Jx18 ET 53.5 rims, they have a mud and snow rating. I fitted them in place of the OE Continental Ecocontact 6 of the same size as they were hopeless in mud, (which I have a lot of as a farmer in Scotland!!) the Michelins have proved to be a bit quieter too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the extra information, FDR.

I hadn't spotted the specific detail in the tyre pressure placard, but I agree with your logic. In my opinion, the 5kPa, or couple of psi pressure reduction noticeably reduces harshness.

Michelin don't appear to bring the Crossclimate 2 to Australia. I guess ours is a relatively small market and I imagine the demand for M&S tyres in Australia would be very low.

Given your farming profession - in Scotland - I imagine AWD and M&S tyres would be almost mandatory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts