Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you watch the Mercedes video on you tube the lady says that "with the average UK road trip being 20 miles something per day you will not need to recharge very often..." this seems to be a contradiction to what NMM says about short trips range.
Also, I spoke to a Sales manager of my dealer that drives the same car and he told me in his short commuting daily trips he gets more than 200 miles, bu this colleagues that commutes on motorway does not get more than 180 miles.
it is good to read that some of you have had the car reset, I don't understand if the reset has a lasting effect or not ?
Such an expensive car and with such a power is wasted when you have to drive it always watching the range and try not use the heating. I think Mercedes has conned us all, they should state a lot more clearly that the range advertised in certain specific conditions is nowhere near what you really get on the road.
not to mention that charging the car vs the real range becomes a very expensive exercise, particularly if you use rapid chargers. at my first attempt using a fast charger with the Mercedes me card, I was overcharged by £ 5 which I had to send a few email to get rectified and then despite the discount I realised that by using the Mercedes me card I paid 30% more per KW compared to the tariff charged by the provider to Pay As You Go customers. I raised this with Mercedes and they told me that the advantage of the Mercedes me card is to have one single bill ! like if that justifies pay 30% of the worst tariff the providers offers. I asked to escalate the complaint but no answer as yet. Beware of what you get charged, compare the Mercedes me with the actual providers tariffs, as otherwise Mercedes overcharges you !

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you watch the Mercedes video on you tube the lady says that "with the average UK road trip being 20 miles something per day you will not need to recharge very often..." this seems to be a contradiction to what NMM says about short trips range.
Also, I spoke to a Sales manager of my dealer that drives the same car and he told me in his short commuting daily trips he gets more than 200 miles, bu this colleagues that commutes on motorway does not get more than 180 miles.
it is good to read that some of you have had the car reset, I don't understand if the reset has a lasting effect or not ?
Such an expensive car and with such a power is wasted when you have to drive it always watching the range and try not use the heating. I think Mercedes has conned us all, they should state a lot more clearly that the range advertised in certain specific conditions is nowhere near what you really get on the road.
not to mention that charging the car vs the real range becomes a very expensive exercise, particularly if you use rapid chargers. at my first attempt using a fast charger with the Mercedes me card, I was overcharged by £ 5 which I had to send a few email to get rectified and then despite the discount I realised that by using the Mercedes me card I paid 30% more per KW compared to the tariff charged by the provider to Pay As You Go customers. I raised this with Mercedes and they told me that the advantage of the Mercedes me card is to have one single bill ! like if that justifies pay 30% of the worst tariff the providers offers. I asked to escalate the complaint but no answer as yet. Beware of what you get charged, compare the Mercedes me with the actual providers tariffs, as otherwise Mercedes overcharges you !
Good tip. Will keep an eye out. Has anyone raised the dishonesty point with MB U.K.? What is there take on it? I recently raise some poor customer service issues with MercedesMe and the escalation went nowhere. In fact there response is thanks for raising but we’ll take it from here. Shocking

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had the EQC for 2 months and my range always around 180-185 miles when fully charged. if you don't use the heating the range goes up to 225-230 miles, but not using the heating becomes a task when its cold and you need to de mist the wind screen. also for such an expensive car to drive without the heating or eventually AC seems a very strange requirement.
I also loose some miles overnight or even when you park for an hour or so, at my return to the car the range has dropped.
I have also checked the range decrease vs the miles actually driven, and despite not always using the heating, driving carefully ( it does take away any fun !) on E or MR in D Auto, the actual decrease of the range is higher than the miles driven.
When I checked carefully the actual range equates to approx 140/150 miles of drive.
Do you all have the same problem ? or is there anybody that gets more than 200 miles range ? and if so how do you do it ?
I took mine in for a range reset. They told me that I had my heating on all the time which is why I could only get a range maximum of about 170. I argued that I’ve never used the heating except for the preheat function. Apparently it’s not lit by LED when the heaters are on so BEWARE. You need to actively disable the switch by clicking down. I now get 200 on a charge but it’s early days and it’s not quite the 228 that the dealer achieved to prove his point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's definitely less efficient on short trips in the cold. Average efficiency was as low as 1.2 miles per kWh per on lockdown use of nursery runs and shopping trips. So 'range' of about 100 miles, sometimes even slightly less.

I found it very efficient on SW London to Southend and back in November - 3 or 4 miles per kWh. And again on London to Broadstairs. Think a Swedish poster here found the same - summer long trips of 250 miles or higher. Depends on your motorway use though, hammering it at 100 mph and accelerating and decelerating will obviously run it down faster. Cruise at 60...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cruise at 60 or 80 on a motorway? I heard it was best to do 80-90 on motorways for best range efficiency. Anyone hear any different?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not sure. Have only used motorways about 4 times in the last year. What do others think? Think a Swedish guy in here said 60 was best. But not sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good tip. Will keep an eye out. Has anyone raised the dishonesty point with MB U.K.? What is there take on it? I recently raise some poor customer service issues with MercedesMe and the escalation went nowhere. In fact there response is thanks for raising but we’ll take it from here. Shocking
I raised the overcharge they apply on other providers with Mercedes, they tried to justify this by saying that the " mercedes me card offers you the convenience of one single bill..." ( at 30% extra cost ! ) and I responded that I wanted to escalate it which they said they will but no further answers. I have had many issues with the car but the Mercedes Customer service is shambolic !

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's definitely less efficient on short trips in the cold. Average efficiency was as low as 1.2 miles per kWh per on lockdown use of nursery runs and shopping trips. So 'range' of about 100 miles, sometimes even slightly less.

I found it very efficient on SW London to Southend and back in November - 3 or 4 miles per kWh. And again on London to Broadstairs. Think a Swedish poster here found the same - summer long trips of 250 miles or higher. Depends on your motorway use though, hammering it at 100 mph and accelerating and decelerating will obviously run it down faster. Cruise at 60...
strange how things vary between different users and what the Mercedes video shows and what I was told by the dealer. the dealer like the video says, tells that short trips should allow you to charge less often/have more range

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cruise at 60 or 80 on a motorway? I heard it was best to do 80-90 on motorways for best range efficiency. Anyone hear any different?
I also find it the requirement to cruise or drive carefully difficult to understand, why buy a 400BHP £ 65K plus car and having to drive it very carefully to keep the consumption down ?
i guess I made a mistake and wish somebody should have told me differently, but also for Mercedes to make a car that if you drive with fun, maybe in Sport mode ( I have not done it yet !) will take you back to charge in less than 100 mile seems wrong as a concept too

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree with you on many of the facts. But I see it a little differently. It's true that you'll pay quite a quite a bit more for electricity than with a Nissan Leaf. But for most people buying a 70k car that isn't going to be an issue. So if cost isn't really an issue, what is? Two possible things - the hassle of recharging and long trips. I find the hassle is less than going to petrol stations - it's something you do for 1 minute after parking, a couple of times a month. And in C. London it gets you better parking places! Long trips? Depends on infrastructure, which is arguably the biggest issue. But if the infrastructure is there, you just stop every two hours for a coffee, which is what you'd want to do anyway. Years ago , the salesmen at my firm would do five hour trips around the country at short notice without stopping. The EQC doesn't work for that. But I'd argue it's not a good idea anyway!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have leased a new EQC premium. The battery (hence mileage) drops few points overnight. I have seen this every day and in last 2 weeks on average 5-6 miles have vanished overnight. In 10 days this amounts to 60 miles which is significant.
Does any EQC owners throw some light? does this happen to all cars? Is it that car using some battery to update/send data regularly? Is there anything I could do to prevent battery drain? As a very new owner I don't know much of the functions. Thank you for any advice you may have.

Girish
This is normal as the battery essentially discharges when standing a factor to consider if leaving in a long term car park! All batteries do this incl phone cameras etc. As a test leave a phone fully charged unused for several days and you will see power loss over time. Cold weather will exacerbate the situation too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have leased a new EQC premium. The battery (hence mileage) drops few points overnight. I have seen this every day and in last 2 weeks on average 5-6 miles have vanished overnight. In 10 days this amounts to 60 miles which is significant.
Does any EQC owners throw some light? does this happen to all cars? Is it that car using some battery to update/send data regularly? Is there anything I could do to prevent battery drain? As a very new owner I don't know much of the functions. Thank you for any advice you may have.

Girish
I have the same problem the range decreases overnight, it is regular thing.
the overall range is always a problem, I never do more than 180/185 miles and this includes driving parts at very low speed to save range. Now that the weather is milder, if you drive with no heating or air con on, the initial range from full charge is higher but the range consumption is also higher and you still end up doing the same real mileage.
do we have anybody that can reach 200 miles driving in a sort of a normal way ?

and then you have these random situation like I drove 12 miles in London with some shopping stops in between, all at low speed due to traffic/traffic lights and the range decreased by 20 miles.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On another forum (mbworld.org)there is a thread from a guy living in Australia who has the very first EQC imported there. He regularly gets 400km. It could be the climate it could be the driving conditions. Driving around London with all the traffic lights and stop starts will impact the range I assume. But it seems better range is reachable. On YouTube there is a guy in Norway detailing some of his long trips one with him his wife their 2 children and a trailer the size of a small horse box covering around 200 km with no recharge! As yet not found any complaints on french forums but am researching for all the tips etc I need for when mine arrives Will feed anything if interest back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe in Australia with warmer climate all year round the car might respond differently, in UK I can tell you that in the winter unless you drive at very low speed you will be lucky to do 150 real miles.
When you speak about Norway 200km is 125 miles sounds hardly an achievement to me.
the Mercedes video on you tube shows a lady saying that doing regular small trips will have your range lasting a long time, but the reality is that in the city the consumption is high and if you drive on a motorway or A road the consumption is still higher that the real miles driven. whichever way you look at it the reality is that the EQC is a beautiful fast car full of accessories but the range is poor and you cannot drive it normally otherwise your range will disappear. you have sort of a supercar but you need to drive it like limited speed vehicle in all circumstances.
if I were you I would cancel the order quickly, you can buy better cars for the same money

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just seen your post. No cancellation for me not seen any other cars that appeal more but I have been driving Mercedes for too long maybe🤣the other 2 real contenders (jaguar not popular here and not many garages or Audi e torn) are both similar in range and many say the EQC is more economical. Tesla is a no no for me on quality of build and the attitude of the owner am not interested in making him richer. I will be keeping the EQC for only around 18mths or so until the EQE comes out as I am moving from an e class and only buying the EQC as it is the only full electric near the e class level available. I wonder if that is what we really should be looking at not the range shown by the algorithim on start up as this is subject to so many variables at the time and on the journey but maybe the better measure is what miles people are actually achieving per kwh on their trips? I managed 25 kWh /100 km over the 2 days so not great but I was test driving it and not really using regen a great deal and I do not think I used the automatic regen facility at all. I think regen seems to be a big part of the story and I did play with one pedal driving and found it really easy to adapt too. I covered 262km and it never went below half full in fact it was slightly above that. It was showing 320km when I picked it up But I cannot remember what the fuel gauge display showed. Whenever it was at the house I plugged it in on a standard socket and it spent 25 mins max on a 7.2 charger in a supermarket so I was always topping it up. I left it at the garage showing 197km. On my consumption the 80kw will give 320km which is 198 miles. That was on a wet and actually very windy couple of days with temps around 9/10 c . Air con was on all the time I never not use it. I am finding all the comments on the various forums really helpful and I have reached the conclusion that to adapt to electric cars means a complete change of mindset forgetting the one fill up for x miles approach and more of it is stationary can I plug it in somewhere approach. I really do think for me the EQC is a vehicle that will deliver for my needs without compromise (well there are some not least it is an SUV which is not my first choice and the interior does not feel as luxurious not as my e) but I do qualify that in that i do not commute for work and have the time to plan around top up needs for the battery. I also think if you cannot have a home or work charger electric is still not viable for you unless you can afford the EQS😉 Time will tell if my assessment is right!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just seen your post. No cancellation for me not seen any other cars that appeal more but I have been driving Mercedes for too long maybe🤣the other 2 real contenders (jaguar not popular here and not many garages or Audi e torn) are both similar in range and many say the EQC is more economical. Tesla is a no no for me on quality of build and the attitude of the owner am not interested in making him richer. I will be keeping the EQC for only around 18mths or so until the EQE comes out as I am moving from an e class and only buying the EQC as it is the only full electric near the e class level available. I wonder if that is what we really should be looking at not the range shown by the algorithim on start up as this is subject to so many variables at the time and on the journey but maybe the better measure is what miles people are actually achieving per kwh on their trips? I managed 25 kWh /100 km over the 2 days so not great but I was test driving it and not really using regen a great deal and I do not think I used the automatic regen facility at all. I think regen seems to be a big part of the story and I did play with one pedal driving and found it really easy to adapt too. I covered 262km and it never went below half full in fact it was slightly above that. It was showing 320km when I picked it up But I cannot remember what the fuel gauge display showed. Whenever it was at the house I plugged it in on a standard socket and it spent 25 mins max on a 7.2 charger in a supermarket so I was always topping it up. I left it at the garage showing 197km. On my consumption the 80kw will give 320km which is 198 miles. That was on a wet and actually very windy couple of days with temps around 9/10 c . Air con was on all the time I never not use it. I am finding all the comments on the various forums really helpful and I have reached the conclusion that to adapt to electric cars means a complete change of mindset forgetting the one fill up for x miles approach and more of it is stationary can I plug it in somewhere approach. I really do think for me the EQC is a vehicle that will deliver for my needs without compromise (well there are some not least it is an SUV which is not my first choice and the interior does not feel as luxurious not as my e) but I do qualify that in that i do not commute for work and have the time to plan around top up needs for the battery. I also think if you cannot have a home or work charger electric is still not viable for you unless you can afford the EQS😉 Time will tell if my assessment is right!
Strongly agree. I really can't understand people doing occasional big fill ups like a petrol station, then angrily staring at the range estimate to see if it 'cheats' them occasionally on a number of short trips around the city!

Two blindingly obvious points. 'Range' only matters when you drive a long way. I always find it pretty efficient (and beautifully comfortable) on motorway trips. So you can easily do as many hours as you would want to do safely between stops. That's the only aspect of range that matters! Efficiency is a different point. This car isn't very efficient on multiple stop / start trips in London in the cold. That means you won't save loads of money on electricity. But it's a £70k big luxury car - it's bad choice for penny pinchers!

DC motorway fast charging aside, it's best to think of charging as part of parking. It's dead easy to do and you do it quite a lot. In central London, I find an EV is like a VIP parking pass! So I generally the battery around half full, just so I can get the best parking spots in Zone 1 when needed.

MBUX charging software is superb. Forget about neurotically planning where you need to charge. The computer does it all for you. On the M1 a week or so back, emergency roadworks blocked off our planned charger while we were at 10%. Must admit I gulped slightly! But MBUX quickly gave me another 5 options within 10km. Just one more click and all sorted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The loss of range overnight is common in EVs. On our company's fleet we have a bunch of Tesla 3 and they all report the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently went on holiday for 3 weeks and I was interested to see if the battery level or ranged dropped as I had read that this was a problem. I screen grabbed the range and battery level from the app to ensure I didn’t forget the numbers. i honestly expected some drop but I was pleasantly surprised. neither the range or battery level dropped. I even checked the dashboard when I got into the car. everything remained exactly the same.
maybe a software update has fixed this issue.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recently went on holiday for 3 weeks and I was interested to see if the battery level or ranged dropped as I had read that this was a problem. I screen grabbed the range and battery level from the app to ensure I didn’t forget the numbers. i honestly expected some drop but I was pleasantly surprised. neither the range or battery level dropped. I even checked the dashboard when I got into the car. everything remained exactly the same.
maybe a software update has fixed this issue.
Interesting but it is a fact of physics/chemistry I think that the battery will slowly loose charge over long idle times. After 10days with my car now and with using the mercedes eco app I work on the basis of what am I doing tomorrow and just top the car up to provide the km needed with a margin of error looking to keep it below 60% to earn my points😉 i shall try to stick to returning home with 20% charge in case there are issues on the way, this gives me reasonable headroom. I am also on a new electricity tarif so am also working to using that making the most of the cheap rate weekend and weds times thereby not havng to worry about it being plugged in overnight when the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and water might be on causing more of a drain on the system. Over 550km my average kwh per km is pretty close to the WLTP at 21,9kwh/100km and on todays trip it was 19,2kwh/100km. I can readily anticipate likely consumption from the type of trip and am not that interested in the range shown as this of course is only a best guesstimate based on recent driving. I now anticipate the likely range from the type of driving and likely consumption. I am extremely pleased with the cars efficiency terrible in comparison to a city car of course but for a luxury SUV it seems pretty Ok and the range of the car quite reasonabl. It does actually feel like BEV’s have finally arrived in a fully grown up format.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently went on holiday for 3 weeks and I was interested to see if the battery level or ranged dropped as I had read that this was a problem.
I too went on a 3 week holiday recently, and left the car plugged in and set to 50% while I was gone. It only drew power once during the 3 weeks: 1kWh which actually took the high voltage battery from 50% to 51%. The 12V lead acid battery had dropped from "fully charge" when I left to "partially charged" a couple of weeks in, and back to "fully charged" after the 1kWh tickle, so I think it actually powered up to charge the lead acid battery, not the high voltage battery, and inadvertently took the high voltage battery 1% higher than I'd requested in the process.

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Symmetry

It was a fairly unusual looking draw too. Usually, it just draws 7.4kW flat out for the entire duration, but in this case it drew about 6kW for about 7 minutes, followed by a much lower tapered draw (< 1kW) for over 30 minutes.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts