Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm a day and a half into owning a Mercedes EQC and I have a little query about the headlights on the vehicle. I've noticed everytime I drive at night other drivers approaching from the opposite direction flash me as if I've left my high beams on. I've tested on a dark stretch of road and I'm definitely driving with my low beams on.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this issue? I did wonder if its just the Led light bar that makes it very bright or could they have set the lights to high in the factory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... The flashing, weirdly, does start to get annoying after the 5th or 6th time.

Many thanks in advance.

· Registered
372 Posts
EQC uses the air suspension for the rear wheels to level the headlamps I understand.

I've not experienced any flashing in the city low/moderate speed streets.

In the country or motorways, I've experienced others flashing more than I am used to, though I use automatic full headlights. I think the car appears to others like it has full headlights on even though it is correctly masking out the oncoming driver. Because it lights up so much. I look at trees overhead and it seems the headlamps can reach them. I do wonder though if the matrix light system waits until oncoming cars are within 300m or something. Also the system doesn't realize that trucks may have a good view of the EQC headlamps even though EQC can't see the trucks headlamps.

I also have experienced me flashing others! When briefly and briskly accelerating the front hood can momentarily raise up quite a lot (at least with 19" wheels) which raises the headlights beam before the headlights leveler seemingly has a chance to adjust

· Registered
372 Posts
Also I think you well know this but the headligts circle dial should be set to AUTO I think it is (12 o'clock). Some of the other switch positions may just be DRL's or parking lights or such and are not dipped

By the way I once got out of the car in a pitch black country estate and was amazed how blinding the headlight beams appeared. I couldn't see anything behind the car when facing it

Another by the way - one of the original theme tunes for EQC advertisements was called Blinding Lights

· Registered
583 Posts
I think many drivers think you have not dipped as they do not see the normal dip as the matrix lights still illuminate areas normally cut by the dip plus as Dar says they are very bright! I too have been flashed but it was the same with my eclass whcih had the intelligent light system.

· Registered
4 Posts
I've had my EQC since September 2019 and have experienced many occasions where I'm being flashed by a car coming in the other direction at night. They are clear and very bright, however, when I think of how many vehicles I have passed in that time, it's such a small percentage that I would put it down to those particular road users having a problem with the lights.

On 2 occasions, I've had someone repeatedly flashing me as we approached each other on a long straight. Both times, after multiple flashes, I did give them a quick flash of the full beams (like you would to thank someone) just to make a point that I wasn't being ignorant!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts