Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
One thought on this. Range only matters obviously when you need to do a long journey. What I notice is that the efficiency is very low on short cold trips. Sometimes down to 1.5 km per kWh. And the range estimates seem to adapt to that kind of use. But once you do a longer trip the efficiency increases a lot - trebling or more.

It's reasonably intuitive - the car has to use a lot of energy on the initial heat up and start (which is beautifully fast and comfortable by the way!). That means the energy per distance is very low on cold short, slow trips with a lot of stopping and starting e.g. shopping or school run. But that isn't a situation where range matters. Once you go further, it usually becomes much, much more energy efficient. I find around 4km per KWh with smooth driving.
Hi. This is really helpful. I’m yet to do any serious mileage so keen to give this ago asap. I did 53 miles today with an avg consumption of 1.8, avg speed of 35mph, and the battery went from 66 to 25%. Trying to run the battery down so I can do a rapid charge and see what I get. I’ve been told that it’s healthier for us to charge to battery from low similar to a phone battery. Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
That does seem a bit disappointing (assuming 1.8 is km rather than miles - if miles, it's ok).

As I said, I find with the only use that's legal in a winter lockdown (!), the efficiency numbers will be very poor. But also don't matter very much. On the day Christmas was cancelled (!) I ran mine out from SW London to Southend and back. Then efficiency was up around 4km per kWH, and nowhere near needing to stop and charge. Experience very pleasant. You can feel the efficiency on tiny downward slopes on motorway - barrelling smoothly at the speed limit whilst getting regen.

·
Registered
14 Posts

This is a useful Norwegian study on how (a harsh) winter affects range and charging speed. The EQC is unremarkable on both - indeed, pretty good on cold charging speed.

But they were mainly testing long distance routes. Lots of short stop / start journeys in the cold will lead to much less range. But not a relevant concern unless you live in a city with almost no chargers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

This is a useful Norwegian study on how (a harsh) winter affects range and charging speed. The EQC is unremarkable on both - indeed, pretty good on cold charging speed.

But they were mainly testing long distance routes. Lots of short stop / start journeys in the cold will lead to much less range. But not a relevant concern unless you live in a city with almost no chargers.
Interesting article. They reckon the eqc gives a range of approx. 25% less in winter. In 8 degrees temp today, I'm getting 170 which is approx. 35% less. I called the dealership earlier and they mention that I need to get the wall box fitted and I need to switch the engine on/off when I first get in to reset the range. That doesn’t seem to work unless I use the cabin heat to heat the vehicle. They mentioned there were others getting 170. It’s interesting that the electrik article does not mention a reduced range.
Also funny how the Mercedes eqc winter study does not mention we should expect a reduced range!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi
Also just purchased same car , you will never get 259 miles , I'm just waiting for home charger to be fitted free of charge which will provide 7 kw of power at home opposed to the 3kw with 3 pin in real life unfortunately 160 miles is the norm , a total disappointment !
Hi are you sure you will get 7kw from a wall box installed at home?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The main problem with consumption at low temperatures is when you drive with the heater switched on. It consumes a lot of energy especially at the beginning. Tip: preheat the car before starting and then drive only with the seat and wheel heating switched on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The main problem with consumption at low temperatures is when you drive with the heater switched on. It consumes a lot of energy especially at the beginning. Tip: preheat the car before starting and then drive only with the seat and wheel heating switched on.
Hi. That’s not true in my case. I don’t use the heating. The only thing I use is the radio and sometime sat nav.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bit warmer today. And had the need to do 20 miles or so, rather than highly inefficient 2 mile shopping and nursery stuff. Efficiency shot up to c. 4 km per kWh. And of course the algorithm then adds another 20 or 30 miles to the maximum range.

Pretty clear to me then when you need the range, it's there. And I wouldn't want to drive much more than 2 hours without stopping for a coffee anyway. That's enough time for a DC charger to give you quite a lot back.

I wouldn't bother turning off heating etc. The whole point of this car is that all those features are excellent. Only reason to do all that would be if you're really stuck in a vast winter wilderness away from motorway chargers, and need to eke out every last mile to get back alive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the opportunity to do a couple of motorway trips last couple of weekends. My conclusion is that efficiency is strongly affected by driving style.

First trip. C. 8 degrees Around 80 miles on motorway. Drove quickly. Cruising mainly 85 to 100 mph (serene experience). Used acceleration opportunities including uphill. Mainly Comfort and Sports Mode. D neutral. Efficiency low - 2 miles per kWh. So implied range 160 miles.

Second trip. Exactly same route. 10 degrees. Cruising 70 to 80. Economy mode all way. D neutral mainly. D minus in 50 mph zones with traffic, and some downhills. Efficiency 2.7 miles per kWh. So imied range just short of 220 miles. You can see how in summer that will probably get close to 250.

BTW, for reference my implied range on multiple short trips in January was 105 miles!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts