Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do. But the same applies when connecting other cars. Why is limiting just for the EQC? The GLC Hybrid gets 7.4kW 100% of the time I connect.
Might not be identical circumstances at the time of charge though. Ie if those vehicles where connected when there’s no other load on the main supply it will max out. If you are connecting / checking when theres enough appliances / load drawing equipment running it would limit load to the wall box.
bit of a long shot I guess as you would have been very unlucky if every time you’ve connected there’s been sufficient 3rd party equipment draw to limit the wall box…
Only way to rule it out would be to connect a vehicle that’s getting full power and swap it for yours immediately so see what your gets (assuming you haven’t done that already 🤷‍♂️)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Might not be identical circumstances at the time of charge though. Ie if those vehicles where connected when there’s no other load on the main supply it will max out. If you are connecting / checking when theres enough appliances / load drawing equipment running it would limit load to the wall box.
bit of a long shot I guess as you would have been very unlucky if every time you’ve connected there’s been sufficient 3rd party equipment draw to limit the wall box…
:)

yes I did tried it in both the EQC and GLC at the same time. Did multiple swaps… always limited to 16A on EQC. It’s not a charger thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First EQC versions charged with 7 kW using a single-phase (32A) - like Nissan leaf.
Upgraded OBC now is charging 11 kW on three phases (16A)

Is about power formula

3 phase W = A * 400V * 1.73 = 16A x 400V x 1.73 = 11 kW
1 phase W = A * 230V = 16A *230V = 3.7 kW

If your charger is 11 kW, when is using a single phase = 3.7 kW

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
First EQC versions charged with 7 kW using a single-phase (32A) - like Nissan leaf.
Upgraded OBC now is charging 11 kW on three phases (16A)

Is about power formula

3 phase W = A * 400V * 1.73 = 16A x 400V x 1.73 = 11 kW
1 phase W = A * 230V = 16A *230V = 3.7 kW

If your charger is 11 kW, when is using a single phase = 3.7 kW
I have a single phase 45A installation, with a single phase 32A wall charger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So what?
The OBC is the limitation, not the installation/wall charger.
OBC is the AC-DC transformer inside the car.

get a 3 phase installation...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So what?
The OBC is the limitation, not the installation/wall charger.
OBC is the AC-DC transformer inside the car.

get a 3 phase installation...
As you said :

“First EQC versions charged with 7 kW using a single-phase (32A) - like Nissan leaf.”

what changed since two posts ago?

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, do you have a 7 kWh or 11 kWh EQC?
This is the main question.

From the symptoms, you have an 11 kW EQC, that you try to charge with a single phase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

From the symptoms, you have an 11 kW EQC, that you try to charge with a single phase.
It’s an early version EQC (MY20), with a 7kW on-board charger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a mystery.
When charging on another Type 2 32a charger 🔌 do you get more the 16A?
To see if the problem is the car or the charger.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is a mystery.
When charging on another Type 2 32a charger 🔌 do you get more the 16A?
To see if the problem is the car or the charger.
As mentioned in previous post, yes I do. 32A in other electric car and hybrid too (GLC).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Did that already.
They are clueless… my hope was to find any hint here, of what they need to change.

it’s at least clear to me that the car should accept 32A, as many others here said.

·
Registered
14 Posts
:)
the thing is this.
Based on the info from the cable/charger, the car is the one to settle what it draws from the electric grid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
As it looks, there might be a need for a software update, to the car could draw 32A from a single phase connection.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I don't think that's correct. I have a 2021 EQC with the 11kW on-board charger. It charges at 7.5kW on my single-phase install, and at 11kW on my mate's 3 phase install.

The 2021 on-board charger is capable of drawing 32A off a single phase, or 16A off of each of 3 phases.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts