Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another remote future option to add to the list is to ask for the chief EQ engineer to answer for if a future retrofit will be feasible. I would be surprised if the required modularity is absent especially if the problem is just a chip supply or something. Even the most basic "Mercedes" Smart EQ has 22kw as a possibility and it seems to be retro-fittable. Some early ones didn't have any DC from preliminary check so fast AC was a concern!

Another remote future option might be retrofit wireless charging pad. Agreed standards last time I checked went up to 11kw though some pad tests have been successfully working at 40kw (via splicing into the DC system or such I guess). The industry seems to be mostly in gestation, such as this US provider merely noting great enthusiasm for it's "Halo" program in partnership with OEM only atm..

As Mercedes UK brochure says only 11kw possible, as does reply you received, it would be interesting what source dealer was getting information of that 22kw was imminent for your build or was it just hype based on initial internal impercise media releases.

For the car industry in general AC seems less concern than it used to be, with DC speed being promoted more, however AC home charging makes EV ownership more attractive especially with the DC charging queues and pricing growing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered an EQS AMG in January. The dealer sent me the e-brochure which referred to 11kW. I just downloaded the current brochure. The price has gone up about £2k and the only difference is that the spec now says 22kW.

So I don't know if I'll get the 11kW for the lower price or the 22kW at the higher price. Or hopefully they will honour the agreed price but I'll get the current spec....

Delivery confirmed for December.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ordered an EQS AMG in January. The dealer sent me the e-brochure which referred to 11kW. I just downloaded the current brochure. The price has gone up about £2k and the only difference is that the spec now says 22kW.

So I don't know if I'll get the 11kW for the lower price or the 22kW at the higher price. Or hopefully they will honour the agreed price but I'll get the current spec....

Delivery confirmed for December.
Good to know you have spotted 22kw in an EQS brochure somewhere that you were able download. If are not required to hide from public view, because provisional or beta version car or for your eyes only or only for fleet customers or other reason, please post a link to where you downloaded.

UK website configurator should hopefully soon be updated for 22kw then, as specing AMG and non-AMG versions currently just shows 11kw in final configuration "technical details" drop down in summary page, unless there is some option I have missed.

And downloading next month's brochure (July 2022) from EQS page (link below) on UK website also lists only 11kw so should be updated too. (See attached screenshots.)

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have attached the brochure I was sent a few weeks ago by the dealer. Page 61 shows the standard charger in the EQS is 11kW but if you look on page 65 the standard in the EQS AMG is 22kW
Well spotted and 22kw reference is in same place in newer July brochure too on website even though page 70 shows 11kw in both June and July brochures so even the brochure maker is confused!

But I guess the 22kw spec is more accurate at least for AMG edition, bit like how Tesla "Performance" editions can be quicker to get as well as quicker to accelerate in some countries like USA as Tesla, unusually, don't do dealer markup there. Since yours is unlikely to be in production yet, and brochure says even currently produced models are using 22kw for AMG, I expect you logically should receive 22kw then :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Continuing on from last post, for more confirmation, I double-checked against website most current brochures in other countries. From quick check, I didn't spot much technical info about AC speed in Netherlands and Norway brochures but latest brochure editions in France and Germany reference 11kw only from what I can see - screenshots attached. Both of these are from latest (May) publications so either they are already out of date because 22kw began in June or else UK is getting first editions of the 22kw versions or else UK brochure has error or else some other confusion. Configurators I checked all seemed show 11kw only so hopefully an update is coming for those

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yes 22kw AC port has been in the EQS e-brochure some time now. But only on the AMG flagships, not any of the other models. Very frustrating .... and still not even an option.

And yet, the same e-brochures say EQE has 22kw AC as standard on all models. Very confusing stuff.

Mine is still scheduled for build early December. So I'm thinking it will be unlikely that we will be able to modify and add as that time window shrinks.

And yet, clearly the same parts / part numbers and factory have the bits needed.

There seems be a growing list of functions that were promoted, marketed and shown to the world that are not making it to production models in the UK this year .... these include the 22kw (unless you have an AMG on order), the remote door opening from key fob and brake press door shut, gesture controls, pixel lighting of images to ground and a couple of other things that I forget.

Quick question Dar, do you see the same rear view mirror problem that Borscherlh described and that I saw in the demo unit a couple of weeks back? Have to say it's a strange and uncomfortable problem designed to promote profits for car body repair shops.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I suspect you will get used to the smaller rear view with time. It almost seems the bigger the vehicle the less likely there is a rear view mirror. So need to learn to rely more on side view mirrors, like vans and lorries do. And as Borscherlh says, "Generally, they are always pissed at me for going the speed limit so if I can't see them no big deal." The car has one of, if not the, best 360 camera systems and useful ultrasonic sensors too. At parking speeds I think they are generally superior to rearview mirror! I haven't checked if 360 is optional in UK but I would recommend to get that option, but wouldn't be surprised if it is standard. It is also nice to have 180 degree front view when emerging at a T junction with otherwise disastrous visibility into the new road. The car also should come with a blindspot monitor. If still concerned about permanent rearview visibility I would suggest an aftermarket digital rearview mirror but I would practice using side mirrors more first. The extra metal, that makes the rearview smaller, I suspect also may help privacy, noise control, chassis rigidity, crashworthiness etc. Older cars had less tech and more glass

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I suspect you will get used to the smaller rear view with time. It almost seems the bigger the vehicle the less likely there is a rear view mirror. So need to learn to rely more on side view mirrors, like vans and lorries do. And as Borscherlh says, "Generally, they are always pissed at me for going the speed limit so if I can't see them no big deal." The car has one of, if not the, best 360 camera systems and useful ultrasonic sensors too. At parking speeds I think they are generally superior to rearview mirror! I haven't checked if 360 is optional in UK but I would recommend to get that option, but wouldn't be surprised if it is standard. It is also nice to have 180 degree front view when emerging at a T junction with otherwise disastrous visibility into the new road. The car also should come with a blindspot monitor. If still concerned about permanent rearview visibility I would suggest an aftermarket digital rearview mirror but I would practice using side mirrors more first. The extra metal, that makes the rearview smaller, I suspect also may help privacy, noise control, chassis rigidity, crashworthiness etc. Older cars had less tech and more glass
Hi Dar. Is not so much the size of it but the dark greyed out appearance of the glass. It almost looks like it should be a setting that can be dimmed or brightened.

Is true, the reversing camera and indeed the hazard warning triangles in wing mirrors are very useful. I didn't try the 360 camera that I recall. I believe the exe lux should have all the camera and nav options. Interesting I found that it also includes front and rear dash cam with extended recording function. This is really useful to us as the intention is to use the car for longer hauls around Europe.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't have much knowledge on that brightness issue but I guess tinted rear window in UK EQS Exclusive Luxury version possibly makes mirror appear dimmer than some other versions without the tint? And bright luxury interior might create reflection somewhere or cause eye to take in less light? I have dark fabric, headliner etc btw. You could also request an extra special order to leave the rear view tint out also I guess, though I haven't found the dimmed view, from tint, to be a problem so far in EQC and like how it helps prevent too much distraction.

Also if the mirror autodim tech feature is too much I guess you can put blackout sticker or maybe laptop camera privacy cover over the the light sensor hidden behind rearview mirror. Else use an aftermarket mirror to cover the original (some come with rearview digital camera embedded as part of the mirror too), though personally I've liked the autodim feature too so far. I do wonder if the autodim tech is also affected by or takes account of tinted windows and bright interior fabric color.

Also as EQS is a newer platform, I guess it may be a different situation in that car so might be worth making a complaint if an unprecedented problem. Perhaps they need calibrate mirror brightness better for if tint is installed, or bright interior fabric is chosen, or there is another issue like the EQS rear window slope angle which maybe picks up reflected glare from the bright headrests etc, or hyperscreen is reflecting light into the sensor when sunroof open? I am just making wild guesses - experiments need to be done!

P.S. EQC has it's own, some might say design fault of, reflected light off dashboard which will need more than just a mirror change-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took delivery of an EQS 580 last April. I was pleased to see 22kW AC charging capability mentioned in the reports from Europe however the US literature specified 9.6kw. I was disappointed since I already had a 19.6kW Tesla Wall Charger that I had been using for my 2014 Model S, traded in for the EQS. I had already purchased an 80 Amp TeslaTap adapter to enable usage with the Mercedes. The car will only charge at 9.6kW which seems very slow for a 107.8kWH battery! I hope that an upgrade to the onboard charger will be available as a dealer installed option. Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I took delivery of an EQS 580 last April. I was pleased to see 22kW AC charging capability mentioned in the reports from Europe however the US literature specified 9.6kw. I was disappointed since I already had a 19.6kW Tesla Wall Charger that I had been using for my 2014 Model S, traded in for the EQS. I had already purchased an 80 Amp TeslaTap adapter to enable usage with the Mercedes. The car will only charge at 9.6kW which seems very slow for a 107.8kWH battery! I hope that an upgrade to the onboard charger will be available as a dealer installed option. Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
It is confusing isn't it? The UK literature originally had it mentioned as an option. Then dealer said standard (as he didn't understand the basic electrical data), then it was confirmed as option by Mercedes Assist, dealer insisted still standard, then Mercedes Assist said is an option but not orderable yet. Then it turns out that the AMG flagship does indeed have it as standard kit as does EQE! And my order is still in with a request for the option but no guarantee it will/can be added before build date!

Best I understand (and could be wrong) but it is not an option in the US as 3-phase supplies are a lot less common on domestic properties. I had the same dreadful experience with Audi GT and the 22kw option and learnt that from some of the US buyers. And yet as you correctly say, the Tesla had the option for some time.

The word I had when I had the Audi on order was that it was not an addable option. I think this unfortunately is also true of the Mercedes. Although I very much hope to be wrong about that as you and I, I suspect will be the same position .... wanting the option, willing to pay for that option but being denied it by Mercedes even though they made a big deal about it in the marketing materials and literature .... literature now amended in our markets.

My extended concern is that other other options also made a big deal about in the marketing materials will also be capped, reduced or missing entirely .... things like the remote door opening, door close upon brake push, internal gesture control and a couple of others I forget this minute. Hardly things we cannot live without but when they they are waved as tech and function bait and then pulled away at the last minute, then I have an issue with that.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts