Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 3 weeks since delivery it seems my EQS has some charging compatibility issues. It will not charge with a Zappi 7kw and with a Hubsta/Elmtronics it charges at 3.6kw not 7.2 and there is nothing I can do. Our EQA is quite happy on both chargers. So far MB have not been at all helpful. Does anyone else have EQS compatibility issues?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe check if you can charge at least 7kw at other ac chargers, such as older public ones, with EQS supplied cable and perhaps also try with the EQA cable. Be interesting to know the reason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had same problem.
no solution, because the onboard charger works 3 phases only, so 11 kW or 3.6 kW if one phase.
Almost all car (included EQA) pairs 2 onboard charger to achieve 7.2 kW when the one phase charging power is available.
b
But EQS can’t.
Extended the question to Mercedes headquarter but no solution.
So far, this is the only issue on car which is almost perfect.

had to change my home charge with a 3 phases one, because my home power is on 3 phases and moved my old one phase charger to my other EV (bmw i3s).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting. I am charging my EQS using a relatively cheap charger I got from AliExpress. 300.64US $ 44% OFF|11kw 16a 3 Phase Mobile Type 2 Electric Car Charger Ev Wallbox With Red Cee5 Pins Male Plug Free Adaptor Free Socket Suit Tesla - Chargers & Service Equipment - AliExpress It is fairly simple and you can use a Schucko adapter to plug into the regular 220V wall outlet. By the way, my EQS was delivered without a charger which is back-ordered due to a lack of chips. So, I am happy I bought this in anticipation of using it at home. I am waiting for the electrician to come to install a dedicated 3-phase plug in the garage. Unfortunately, my garage is on the same circuit as everything in my garden which includes a 2,500 watt well pump. The circuit breaker is limited to 16 Amps so I simply didn't have enough juice to charge the car and the garden stuff at the same time. In lieu of this, I ran an extension cord from a lightly used circuit inside the house (this house is unoccupied as we have 2 houses on the same property but I use that house's garage as it is more convenient) out to the garage. I still cannot charge at the full 16 Amps but this particular charge adapter lets you set the power by amperage and it works fine at 8 amps and is charging at 3.5kw. I am in no big hurry to charge up the car and am keeping it at 80%. We don't drive all that much and only need the larger capacity of the EQS for long trips which we do several a year. Otherwise, we drive less than 40 km a week.

I did see a detailed Youtube video from Munro looking in detail at the undercarriage and the actual charger used in the EQS is 9.6 KW only and not 11kw. So, at best that is what we will get on the standard charger. It looks pretty easy to swap it out for a 22kw one if and when that ever becomes available again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I meant the car was supplied without the charging adapter. It has a charger in the undercarriage. I know these wall boxes aren't chargers but are really just a way to route power to the plug and include safety checks. They are rate-limiting and some have fancy apps for scheduling. The EQS already has all that built-in so it is redundant to also have it on the charging adapter. I don't know what Mercedes is charging in other countries but the 22kw wall box here in Hungary is over $3k. Hence why I bought the cheap Chinese charging adapter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had same problem.
no solution, because the onboard charger works 3 phases only, so 11 kW or 3.6 kW if one phase.
Almost all car (included EQA) pairs 2 onboard charger to achieve 7.2 kW when the one phase charging power is available.
b
But EQS can’t.
Extended the question to Mercedes headquarter but no solution.
So far, this is the only issue on car which is almost perfect.

had to change my home charge with a 3 phases one, because my home power is on 3 phases and moved my old one phase charger to my other EV (bmw i3s).
Not good and interesting for me as I'm still trying to wrestle a 22kw port option out of MB. With no success so far.

I have 3-phase but was not aware of that limitation. That's really poor if correct.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I meant the car was supplied without the charging adapter. It has a charger in the undercarriage. I know these wall boxes aren't chargers but are really just a way to route power to the plug and include safety checks. They are rate-limiting and some have fancy apps for scheduling. The EQS already has all that built-in so it is redundant to also have it on the charging adapter. I don't know what Mercedes is charging in other countries but the 22kw wall box here in Hungary is over $3k. Hence why I bought the cheap Chinese charging adapter.
And is that new 22kw box actually available yet? I have been chasing MB assist and they keep saying 'not yet but soon' for UK market.

The price is outrageous. Especially as it does not really bring much special to the party that a Zappi, Andersen or Hypervolt could not handle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In the 3 weeks since delivery it seems my EQS has some charging compatibility issues. It will not charge with a Zappi 7kw and with a Hubsta/Elmtronics it charges at 3.6kw not 7.2 and there is nothing I can do. Our EQA is quite happy on both chargers. So far MB have not been at all helpful. Does anyone else have EQS compatibility issues?
Just noticed your post was early April. Did you receive any help or clarification/solution from MB yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts