Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any of you EQS or EQE owners confirm whether you can plug your can in at home and not have the charging start until later that night when the cheap ToD tariff kicks in please?

On the EQC there is a "Departure Time" setting that was once thought to delay charging but it is ignored and charging starts once you plug in. That's forced a lot of folk to find alternative solutions (external timers, smarter wallboxes etc.) to delayed charging. I'm just wondering if this has been fixed on the newer models or does the car still need external help in order to delay the start of charging?

· Registered
109 Posts
Can any of you EQS or EQE owners confirm whether you can plug your can in at home and not have the charging start until later that night when the cheap ToD tariff kicks in please?...
In the EQS SUV you can specify up to four windows of time per day that are NO CHARGE time slots. In my case 2:00pm to 8:00pm is the peak rate period. If you plug the charger in during this paused time, the light at the port will be red. The dash says something like "unable to charge". Charging starts immediately at the end of the no charge window.

I believe there is also a provision for specifying a departure time and having the car charge at a slower rate spreading out the charging time over a longer period.

· Registered
109 Posts
....That would be a great feature and solve @Fort issue if the EQC had it (Limit AC charging power)
I tried a few different charging approaches this week to advance my understanding of the charging options.

If I designate a no charge window and enable Eco charging but do not designate a departure time, charging starts immediately after the no charge window ends and proceeds at the maximum rate limited only by the available amps.

If I do the same but also specify a departure time, then charging is delayed. Last night I plugged the car in at 7:00 pm with the SoC at 67% and a target charge of 80% with a departure time of 7:20 this morning. Charging did not start at 8:00pm (end of paused period) yesterday evening. I estimated the time needed to reach 80% would be about two hours. I checked the charging status at 5:40 this morning and the SoC was 76% and the charging rate was 7.3 kW. So it did not seem like the rate was slowed down. When the SoC reached 79% at 6:22am, charging stopped for about 10 minutes before continuing on to the 80% target.

I will need to try this again when I can observe the entire process rather than waiting for the charging session to start while I am sleeping. It's not clear to me if the car slows the charging rate by turning the power on and off rather than reducing the rate below the normal 7.3 to 7.4 kW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts