Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the wait list to order and EQS 53 AMG or a EQS SUV. I have a build slot for January of 23 for an 580 SUV. My question are about things that I have read about, but cannot find on the option sheet.

When Jay Leno reviewed an EQS the car had a feature that the drivers door would open as you approached and close when you put your foot on the brake. I was told it was not available because of the chip shortage and when Mercedes had their EQS drive event in Houston, none of the cars had that feature. Is that feature going to become an option in the future or is it an option now and I don't know what it is called or if it is included in a package.

I have read articles about Driver Pilot. Mercedes is approved for Level 3 in Germany. I realize that they don't have approval in the US, but I would like to get a car equipped with the hardware so that if it is approved, I could take advantage of it even it is an extra cost. Any one know if and when Driver Pilot might be available as an option in the US or what packages I need to get all the sensors included for its operation.

I am trying to decide if I should put an order in now or wait.

Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mercedes should know best but here are my guesses.

Handsfree close "comfort doors" possible? Handsfree only possible on the tailgate right now I think. Due to current chip expense I guess mainly upcoming Maybach versions are most likely to get the feature until other chips are repurposed.

DrivePilot is when? Current aim is by August 2023 for Level 3 autonomy in the US, however it depends on external factors such as Nevada government and will only be one or a few states to begin because in the US driving laws are regulated by state.

Will DrivePilot be on initial cars? Unlikely to have hardware especially for January build slot. Just as EQS saloons without the option are missing the hardware.

Will DrivePilot be retrofittable on EQS? Likely much pricier than buying as an option so might be necessary to change from unequipped car to newer car with the option. This article says retrofit not possible.

Mercedes-Benz wartet weiterhin auf Freigabe für DRIVE PILOT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mercedes should know best but here are my guesses.

Handsfree close "comfort doors" possible? Handsfree only possible on the tailgate right now I think. Due to current chip expense I guess mainly upcoming Maybach versions are most likely to get the feature until other chips are repurposed.

DrivePilot is when? Current aim is by August 2023 for Level 3 autonomy in the US, however it depends on external factors such as Nevada government and will only be one or a few states to begin because in the US driving laws are regulated by state.

Will DrivePilot be on initial cars? Unlikely to have hardware especially for January build slot. Just as EQS saloons without the option are missing the hardware.

Will DrivePilot be retrofittable on EQS? Likely much pricier than buying as an option so might be necessary to change from unequipped car to newer car with the option. This article says retrofit not possible.

Mercedes-Benz wartet weiterhin auf Freigabe für DRIVE PILOT

Thanks for the information. I am checking with my dealer and I have not heard back. It might be best for me to delay my purchase for a year and see what becomes available.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really SUV in Jan 2023? Are you part of a special program or is this available for everyone? I really want the SUV
I was on the wait list with my dealer since they were first made public in April. I got a note that the dealer received an allocation and they could submit an order for me. They sent me a pdf with the option codes. I almost bought an EQS 580 last weekend when my wife commented that it seemed long and we checked the specs and it is longer than my GL and would make it difficult to park in my garage. Note that the 3rd row head and leg room in the EQS SUV it last than in my GL and adults might not be comfortable there

·
Registered
7 Posts
Congrats! What trim and options did you get? You will be one of the first! I just saw they're made in Alabama which is cool. The 'sedan' (it's a hatch back) is made in Germany. My spouse prefers the hatch but I want the SUV, but waiting longer will be hard for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! What trim and options did you get? You will be one of the first! I just saw they're made in Alabama which is cool. The 'sedan' (it's a hatch back) is made in Germany. My spouse prefers the hatch but I want the SUV, but waiting longer will be hard for us.
I have not gone ahead with an order. Since they won’t manufacture until January, I will wait to see if Driver Pilot becomes an option. MB is trying to get approval for it in CA and NV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have not gone ahead with an order. Since they won’t manufacture until January, I will wait to see if Driver Pilot becomes an option. MB is trying to get approval for it in CA and NV.
Makes sense to wait then. We're stuck since we were a one car family and an accident is forcing us to buy now. I'd almost prefer to buy a similar car to the old one (2015 GLK) and wait to get the EQS SUV with autopilot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes sense to wait then. We're stuck since we were a one car family and an accident is forcing us to buy now. I'd almost prefer to buy a similar car to the old one (2015 GLK) and wait to get the EQS SUV with autopilot.
My son bought an ID4. It is probably the same size as your GLK. It is a nice car. Maybe you would have a.n easier time getting an ID4 and trade it in later. You might be able to get the tax credit twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts