Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Has anyone had issues with excessive tyre wear? I have an EQC with 20,000kms and the front two tyres are already bald. Anyone else have this issue? I was expecting to get 55,000+ kms

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi, Has anyone had issues with excessive tyre wear? I have an EQC with 20,000kms and the front two tyres are already bald. Anyone else have this issue? I was expecting to get 55,000+ kms
Not on the EQC yet but I do not expect a long life on the tyres. The car weighs 2555kg it is bound to wear the tyres very quickly. Mine has been equipped with michelin primacy 4 which has less tread when new ie just over 6mm instead of the usual 8mm on the basis they perform ust as well at 3mm as they did at 6mm we shall see.
I had a 2015 c class estate and that wore the edge of the tyres despite the tracking being correct, it is a feature of how the car is set up. They needed relacing around the 20k mark. Are your tyres worn across the whole tread or just on an edge or edges? what brand are they? I would never expect 55k km from a set of tyres these days.
Tyre technology is far more involved than we perhaps realise and a tyre can make quite a difference to a cars performance in handling, efficiency quietness etc.I always buy replacement tyres of the same as thcar was equipped with from the factory and alsways MO homogulated. we save fuel costs and maintenance costs withelectric but that is offset a bit bythe greater tyre wear caused by their torque and weight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not on the EQC yet but I do not expect a long life on the tyres. The car weighs 2555kg it is bound to wear the tyres very quickly. Mine has been equipped with michelin primacy 4 which has less tread when new ie just over 6mm instead of the usual 8mm on the basis they perform ust as well at 3mm as they did at 6mm we shall see.
I had a 2015 c class estate and that wore the edge of the tyres despite the tracking being correct, it is a feature of how the car is set up. They needed relacing around the 20k mark. Are your tyres worn across the whole tread or just on an edge or edges? what brand are they? I would never expect 55k km from a set of tyres these days.
Tyre technology is far more involved than we perhaps realise and a tyre can make quite a difference to a cars performance in handling, efficiency quietness etc.I always buy replacement tyres of the same as thcar was equipped with from the factory and alsways MO homogulated. we save fuel costs and maintenance costs withelectric but that is offset a bit bythe greater tyre wear caused by their torque and weight.
Thanks Parkwood. Yeh, I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this (another 2.5 ton beast) but was getting 50k kms from tyres. Ill put it down to enthusiastic acceleration when i got the EQC and hope it improves now I am more sensible 😄. Yes, likewise I would only put on exactly same as manufacturers supplied tyres. Mine came with Pirelli's. Safe driving !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same happened me with the fronts. Now I change to sport mode before driving sporty. Because comfort mode can skid the front wheels under sharp acceleration for a second, before using all 4 wheels like sport mode. I'm avoiding drifting too now. Anything to stop tires skidding. Also I was using app to check psi but it was way off which caused tires to be underinflated all the time which caused wear at the edges. Now I use a Michelin measuring tool when tires are cold. Also confusingly dealer set psi to underinflated which improved softness I guess but is not recommended by manufacturer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same happened me with the fronts. Now I change to sport mode before driving sporty. Because comfort mode can skid the front wheels under sharp acceleration for a second, before using all 4 wheels like sport mode. I'm avoiding drifting too now. Anything to stop tires skidding. Also I was using app to check psi but it was way off which caused tires to be underinflated all the time which caused wear at the edges. Now I use a Michelin measuring tool when tires are cold. Also confusingly dealer set psi to underinflated which improved softness I guess but is not recommended by manufacturer
Thanks for that Dar, out of interest. Did you change the tyre type or stay with the original manufacturers model?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I only needed change front tires so went with whatever dealer decided on (looks like same Pirelli Summer 19" originals again). I was tempted to get Crossclimate tires as I have heard good things about them and sometimes temperatures where I live can go under or above 7c day by day but thought it interesting that there was no All-weather "original" tire so was discouraged by that for the moment anyway! Anyway it will be interesting how many kilometers I get this time ..

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am also hanging back on winter
I only needed change front tires so went with whatever dealer decided on (looks like same Pirelli Summer 19" originals again). I was tempted to get Crossclimate tires as I have heard good things about them and sometimes temperatures where I live can go under or above 7c day by day but thought it interesting that there was no All-weather "original" tire so was discouraged by that for the moment anyway! Anyway it will be interesting how many kilometers I get this time ..
tyres this year as there is no offer from mercedes for an EQC set. Imwas considering michelin cross climate but shall wait and see how the winter tyre market for BEV develops. Certainly the summer tyres are geared for specific attributes inc low rolling resistance and in the case of the EQC much effort was put into choosing quieter tyres too. Not happy without winter tyres but frankly with the weather we are now seeing an all season is looking a better bet as we are fluctuating in a higher awkward range -2 to 12 degs🙄 it used to be more -4 to 5 so a set of winters always coverd the range. If we do get snow and ice it will be an interesting experince driving I suspect as I find the ABS system far more sensitive on the EQC than the e class probably due to the weight and different drive train, I should explain I live in a rural area with narrow and at times muddy roads and often have to pull to the verge to let tractors etc pass.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you do need a change, there is a "Perfect Fit" original Mercedes "MO" winter tyre on Pirelli website called Scorpion just as the MO Summer one is called Verde.

Pirelli also do an original Mercedes all-season tyre for GLC and for EQC though for some reason the EQC is not marked original. Though there were limited other "original" options for EQC like only gloss black center trim compared wood or carbon fiber on other models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve had four new tyres over 20 months. Each caused by a small linear tear exposing the cords. No obvious cause. Both I and my. Mercedes’ garage contacted Michelin who have ignored us.
The car will have to go. So much for lower EV running costs. So much for Michelin. The tyres are just not fit for purpose at over £300 each

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ve had four new tyres over 20 months. Each caused by a small linear tear exposing the cords. No obvious cause. Both I and my. Mercedes’ garage contacted Michelin who have ignored us.
The car will have to go. So much for lower EV running costs. So much for Michelin. The tyres are just not fit for purpose at over £300 each
Ouch! Mine came with Pirelli's much cheaper at €180 each. (£150 ish) maybe worth looking at.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Surely it is a tyre issue not a mercedes issue? I would look to see what other tyres mercedes use on the EQC and plpumb for one of those as suggested above. Getting rid of the car itself seems a tad drastic🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Eqc since March 2020. Today with 52.000 kms. Change tyres twice. They gef more worn on the outsude edge. Both original pirelli and replacement hankook totally dead with 25 k km. I am trying nexen now becayse they sre qay cheaoer and also decent tyres. I will also try to inflate more on the frint to see if outside wear effect improves.
For all the rest a great car and very happy with it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have an Eqc since March 2020. Today with 52.000 kms. Change tyres twice. They gef more worn on the outsude edge. Both original pirelli and replacement hankook totally dead with 25 k km. I am trying nexen now becayse they sre qay cheaoer and also decent tyres. I will also try to inflate more on the frint to see if outside wear effect improves.
For all the rest a great car and very happy with it.
I had a c class that did the same I suspect it is a geometry issue and unlikely to be capable of being cured. The GLC has an issue with certain size of wheel & tyres where the tyres crab in full lock owners very unhappy but Mercedes’ never found a solution as far as I am aware.
Some cars seem to give good tyre wear others not. My GLK was good, C class bad (20k km) E class good. I have the Michelin primacy 4 with only 6mm tread when new not sure I can take them to as low a tread as Michelin say so no doubt I will be changing them at a low mileage and it looks as if the outer edge is wearing like the c class did🙄

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mis ruedas también se desgastan excesivamente por el exterior del neumático y ya tienen 20 mil km. Me lo miraron en Mercedes y el desgaste es normal y la convergencia también está bien así que mi conclusión es aumentar presión para desgastar por flanco central

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need two front tyres after only 19,000km. I'm driving the EQC 400 AMG (PP) with 235/45 R21 101 Michelin fronts - the rears are fine. I was expecting roughly double that distance. Replacements are coming in at around £300 (EUR350) each for summer tyres and I can't find any all year replacements. Can you get all year or winter tyres in this size?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts