Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News reported EQS SUV production begain yesterday at Tuscaloosa. EQE is in October. Very glad to let the plant gain experience on essentially the big brother of the same fundamental design as what we're waiting for. My electrician installed the 240V outlet today, but waiting until delivery gets closer to choose the latest charger, although right now JuiceBox 40 is top of the list I've seen. Not much else to do meanwhile other than keep checking for news!

· Registered
112 Posts
...My electrician installed the 240V outlet today, but waiting until delivery gets closer to choose the latest charger, although right now JuiceBox 40 is top of the list I've seen....
Have you thought about what you will use as a "travel" charger. The EQS SUV I saw on the dealer lot on Tuesday included the 110V Household Charging Cable ($250 B35 option). I think there are better options available.

I have experience with the hard wired Gen 2 Tesla EVSE, the Grizzl-E Classic EVSE made in Canada, the Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector EVSE, and the Porsche PMC+ mobile EVSE. Both the Tesla and the Porsche mobile EVSEs offer a range of power cords for different NEMA outlet types and both can operate on 110v or 220v.

The hard wired Gen 2 Tesla wall charger worked flawlessly for three years and I sold it on eBay for $50 less than I paid for it after I traded the Model 3. I would have gotten a Tesla to J1772 adapter for it for use with my Taycan, except the 8 foot cable on the unit I had would not reach the port on the Taycan front fender. The Grizzl-E EVSE worked well for 10 months, but when the charging plug got stuck in the Taycan port on three separate occasions I quit using it. Not sure if the problem was the EVSE or the car, but a number of emails to Grizzl-E have gone unanswered so I am probably going to write them off.

Very few of the portable third party EVSEs offer L1/L2 (110v/220v) functionality and also offer a good selection of power cord types. I considered a Mustart Travelmaster (Gen 2) for $379 and the J+ Booster 2 for $700, but in the end I decided on the $200 Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector with a $150 Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter. Among these three portable units, the Tesla mobile charger has the smallest case and the best chance of fitting in the small compartment below the floor of the cargo. The J+ Booster 2 EVSE, made in Switzerland, comes with a case that is 21" x 14' x 6" which has no chance of fitting in the MB under-cargo storage compartment.

Twice in the last four years I had to rely upon the 110v L1 EVSE when I was staying in remote areas of Vermont without public chargers. While the $250 MB 110v option would work in an emergency, this unit could not make use of a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet that might also be available. Also, the Tesla to J1772 adapter could be a life saver if the only available charger on a road trip is a Tesla destination EVSE.

If the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter works well with the MB, I will probably purchase a hard wired Gen 3 Tesla EVSE to replace the Grizzl-E unit for my garage charger. The Tesla Gen 3 unit is priced at $400 and I think it is one of the best values available.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you thought about what you will use as a "travel" charger.
Actually, I have not. We don't take car trips of a length that would require a recharge. The two closest major cities are about a 45 minute flight vs a 6+ hour drive from our major city, so that's not happening. I work from home. With a ~350 mile range, I expect to recharge at home overnight about once every three, maybe four weeks. Planning on a 40 amp plug-in JuiceBox in my garage with the new 240v 14-50 outlet I just had installed. Maybe I should carry a cable for "just in case" emergencies, thinking of it like a spare tire, but I also expect the charging public infrastructure to improve rapidly in case we have a completely unforeseen road trip.

· Registered
112 Posts
I decided against using a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter with a Tesla EVSE. Mostly because I thought the extra rigid length of the combined adapter and Tesla plug might damage the charging port if someone bumped into it while passing by the car.

I ordered the Gen 2 Tesla Mobile Connector (Combo L1/L2 EVSE) with one extra power cord for $245 (about the same price as the L1 MB EVSE) and then changed the Tesla plug to a J1772 plug following the procedure shown in this YouTube video:

Initially I purchased a 50A Duosida J1772 plug but was unable to use it since the 8 AWG wires in the Tesla cord were too small for the 50A pins in the plug. I exchanged the 50A plug for a 32A plug and successfully did the conversion. I don't recommend doing this modification unless you have access to an industrial crimper.

I am planning to use the Tesla Mobile Connector in my garage until Tesla makes the Gen 3 Wall Connector with J1772 plug available to consumers. Eventually I will keep the compact Tesla mobile charger in the storage compartment under the cargo area of the EQE SUV.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided against using a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter with a Tesla EVSE. Mostly because I thought the extra rigid length of the combined adapter and Tesla plug might damage the charging port if someone bumped into it while passing by the car.

I ordered the Gen 2 Tesla Mobile Connector (Combo L1/L2 EVSE) with one extra power cord for $245 (about the same price as the L1 MB EVSE) and then changed the Tesla plug to a J1772 plug following the procedure shown in this YouTube video:

Initially I purchased a 50A Duosida J1772 plug but was unable to use it since the 8 AWG wires in the Tesla cord were too small for the 50A pins in the plug. I exchanged the 50A plug for a 32A plug and successfully did the conversion. I don't recommend doing this modification unless you have access to an industrial crimper.

I am planning to use the Tesla Mobile Connector in my garage until Tesla makes the Gen 3 Wall Connector with J1772 plug available to consumers. Eventually I will keep the compact Tesla mobile charger in the storage compartment under the cargo area of the EQE SUV.

That sounds like a good precaution for public charging. Maybe by the time we get our EQEs, Tesla will have the plug with J1772 available. The benefit of one cable that can handle 110/240 in a small package is very attractive. Almost all of my charging will be at home with the JuiceBox cable, but I can keep an eye out for this approach so I'm prepared for the low chance of traveling far. Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
112 Posts
.....but waiting until delivery gets closer to choose the latest charger, although right now JuiceBox 40 is top of the list I've seen. Not much else to do meanwhile other than keep checking for news!
You should consider this Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector w/J1772 plug.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should consider this Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector w/J1772 plug.

Thank you and I appreciate your advice. Do you have any thoughts on why this is better than JuiceBox which is so well-reviewed?

· Registered
112 Posts
Thank you and I appreciate your advice. Do you have any thoughts on why this is better than JuiceBox which is so well-reviewed?
I don't have the actual stats, but I suspect that Tesla has sold more EVSEs than any other supplier. Their customer base is substantial. This volume is probably the reason the price is so reasonable. Of course most of them had the proprietary Tesla plug. I installed one of the Gen 2 Wall Connectors back in 2018 and it worked flawlessly for three years. When I sold my Model 3 I sold the EVSE on eBay for $50 less than I paid for it. The Gen 3 can use up to a 60 Amp breaker. It needs to be hardwired, but the installation is very straightforward. The design of the J1772 plug is very elegant.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have the actual stats, but I suspect that Tesla has sold more EVSEs than any other supplier. Their customer base is substantial. This volume is probably the reason the price is so reasonable. Of course most of them had the proprietary Tesla plug. I installed one of the Gen 2 Wall Connectors back in 2018 and it worked flawlessly for three years. When I sold my Model 3 I sold the EVSE on eBay for $50 less than I paid for it. The Gen 3 can use up to a 60 Amp breaker. It needs to be hardwired, but the installation is very straightforward. The design of the J1772 plug is very elegant.
Thank you. I already had a 240v outlet installed so would need the electrician back.

· Registered
112 Posts
Thank you. I already had a 240v outlet installed so would need the electrician back.
The difference in price between the JuiceBox 40 with NEM 14-50 plug and the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector will probably cover the cost of the electrician. I forgot to mention, when you are ready to expand your stable of EVs you can add another Tesla EVSE on the same circuit.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The difference in price between the JuiceBox 40 with NEM 14-50 plug and the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector will probably cover the cost of the electrician. I forgot to mention, when you are ready to expand your stable of EVs you can add another Tesla EVSE on the same circuit.
Very good points again, and thanks. We do also plan to replace my wife's ICE with a BEV in the following year or so. Given our relatively low mileage for both vehicles (~5k/year for each), we had anticipated just recharging on different overnights. We positioned the outlet for the 25 foot cable to reach either parking space in our garage. However, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting, via a splice at the wall end of the electrical line, a second adjacent Tesla charger could be installed to prevent any timing conflicts without running a second line and both could charge at the same time? Is this ability unique to the Tesla charger? Thanks again.

· Registered
112 Posts
Very good points again, and thanks. We do also plan to replace my wife's ICE with a BEV in the following year or so. Given our relatively low mileage for both vehicles (~5k/year for each), we had anticipated just recharging on different overnights. We positioned the outlet for the 25 foot cable to reach either parking space in our garage. However, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting, via a splice at the wall end of the electrical line, a second adjacent Tesla charger could be installed to prevent any timing conflicts without running a second line and both could charge at the same time? Is this ability unique to the Tesla charger? Thanks again.
Since we are now a one-car family, I have not studied the installation instructions sufficiently to understand the wiring requirements for multiple units. The EVSEs do communicate with each other to determine how to allocate the available power. The Gen 2 Wall Connector could handle four units. I believe the Gen 3 version could do up to six. Since you already have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (hopefully a Hubbell or Bryant industrial one), your simplest install approach would be to attach a short power cord with 6 AWG wire to the Tesla EVSE. If you do this you will be limited to a 50 Amp circuit even though the EVSE can accept up to a 60 Amp breaker.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since we are now a one-car family, I have not studied the installation instructions sufficiently to understand the wiring requirements for multiple units. The EVSEs do communicate with each other to determine how to allocate the available power. The Gen 2 Wall Connector could handle four units. I believe the Gen 3 version could do up to six. Since you already have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed (hopefully a Hubbell or Bryant industrial one), your simplest install approach would be to attach a short power cord with 6 AWG wire to the Tesla EVSE. If you do this you will be limited to a 50 Amp circuit even though the EVSE can accept up to a 60 Amp breaker.
I don’t see a name on the outlet that the electrician installed. Is this a concern?

Rectangle Gas Circle Composite material Aluminium

· Registered
112 Posts
The Porsche EVSEs sold with Taycan vehicles appear to be under-engineered and have a reputation for overheating. Porsche recently recalled the EVSEs to apply a warning sticker that instructs owners to operate the units at 50% capacity to avoid overheating issues. Porsche deflects some of the blame on poor quality NEMA 14-50 and and 6-50 outlets. Part of the recall included supplying a supplemental manual for the EVSE. The photo below is a page from that booklet that describes a potential issue with inexpensive outlets. The second photo is of the Hubbell 14-50 outlet. If you look closely at this photo you will see that the diameter of the industrial outlet is larger than the one in your picture. The outlet blade slots are further away from the edge of the outlet body. The cover plate you have won't fit the industrial outlet. The Hubbell outlets cost 5 to 10 times as much as residential grade outlets. The prices have apparently skyrocketed because of the demand from new EV owners.

The 3-blade NEMA 6-50 outlet is considerably less expensive than the 14-50 one. Most L2 EVSEs sold with a plug come with the 14-50 plug. Some of the EVSEs are also available with the 6-50 plug. The Tesla Mobile Connector EVSE has 8 different power cords available to accommodate pretty much every 110v and 240v outlet type.

Attachments

· Registered
112 Posts
Thank you very much for this!! I've spoken with my electrician to return with a Hubbell outlet as a replacement.
I forgot to point out Porsche's recommendation to use ferrules on the stripped wire ends. Using ferrules makes for a first rate installation. Tesla recommends using these as well for the supply line to the EVSE.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I had the opportunity to drive an EQS 580 at a local dealer. I came away very pleased and impressed, realizing this is a longer and heavier 3-row version of my planned EQE, although with the same front section. It is outstandlingly comfortable, quiet, and responsive. Very easy to manuever and for the type of handling needed for a family car about town, this does fine. How it does when pushed or on a track is irrelevant to me. The Hyperscreen is quite impressive and sold itself. I intended an EQE350+, but if Hyperscreen is restricted to EQE500, that would probably sway me for that reason alone. The build was as excellent as one would expect from MB. Seams and trim fit beautifully (Elon, are you listening?). All in all, this made me more eager for EQE ordering to open. MBUSA hasn't done a great job of disseminating information to dealers. With EQS SUVs on the lot, the dealer doesn't even have ordering info or a color/trim book for those yet! As the EQS and EQE SUVs are sourced from the same plant in Alabama, I assume the color plan for one would also address the other going through the same paint booth, but no information on either so far.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leviton replaced by Hubbell today. The wall plate opening took some reaming to fit over the larger outlet receptacle, but it's in. Maybe a bit of paint touchup ahead.
Grey Rectangle Gas Circle Metal

Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw the 2023 EQE SUV order guide today. Your dealer should have their's. I'll be waiting for 2024 order guide in the Spring when Hyperscreen may become available and the Sonora Brown color shown in the press materials becomes available. Looking forward to hearing from those who get 2023 models!

· Registered
70 Posts
Dec. 15th. Today, the configurator for the EQE SUV in Sweden went live!
https://www.mercedes-benz.se/passeng...ASSE/OFFROADER
The only version offered thus far is the 500 4Matic. My dealer tells me that that's it for now. The next will be one of the AMG's. Not sure when.

The German configurator also went live today.
https://www.mercedes-benz.de/passeng...ASSE/OFFROADER
The only version offered at the moment seems to be AMG43

For my part, I am at least thankful that we ended up with the 500 in Sweden and not the AMG as the only option. I could never justify an AMG purchase.

Here are some highlights and disappointments, from my configurator experience, on the Swedish EQE SUV that's being offered.
Highlights:
  • The base model is really quite loaded with options already.
  • Hmmm...struggling...

Disappointments:
  • HyperScreen is not offered on the EQE SUV 500, despite it being an option on the EQE 500 Sedan, the EQS 500 Sedan and the EQS SUV 500. This was quite a shock and something I wasn't expecting.
  • No mention of rear wheel steering -- either 4.5 degree or 10 degree. I did see 4.5 degree rear wheel steering mentioned on the Mercedes Me store for a seemingly outrageous 480 SEK (~50 USD) per month.
  • Digital projection headlights not offered as an option, despite being available on all the EQE Sedan, EQS Sedan and EQS SUV
  • Acoustic comfort pack not offered, despite being available on all the EQE Sedan, EQS Sedan and EQS SUV
  • Only 6, mostly dark and "blah" colors available
  • I'm not 100% sure yet, but it doesn't appear to me that Augmented Reality is available.

My dealer has a price list, but it's currently for internal use only, so he cannot share it.
He also apparently has some indication that the HyperScreen will be offered on the 500 version at some point in the not-so-distant future.
I sent my dream configuration to my dealer saying that it will be an order when the HyperScreen can be added to it. We shall see...

I could get everything I want by simply ordering an available EQS SUV, but that vehicle is simply too big for me and my other half to drive. We travel in old Europe a lot. Tiny streets. Limited parking, etc.

It would be interesting to learn if the EQE SUV has appeared in the configurator for other countries!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts