Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive News reported EQS SUV production begain yesterday at Tuscaloosa. EQE is in October. Very glad to let the plant gain experience on essentially the big brother of the same fundamental design as what we're waiting for. My electrician installed the 240V outlet today, but waiting until delivery gets closer to choose the latest charger, although right now JuiceBox 40 is top of the list I've seen. Not much else to do meanwhile other than keep checking for news!

·
Registered
25 Posts
...My electrician installed the 240V outlet today, but waiting until delivery gets closer to choose the latest charger, although right now JuiceBox 40 is top of the list I've seen....
Have you thought about what you will use as a "travel" charger. The EQS SUV I saw on the dealer lot on Tuesday included the 110V Household Charging Cable ($250 B35 option). I think there are better options available.

I have experience with the hard wired Gen 2 Tesla EVSE, the Grizzl-E Classic EVSE made in Canada, the Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector EVSE, and the Porsche PMC+ mobile EVSE. Both the Tesla and the Porsche mobile EVSEs offer a range of power cords for different NEMA outlet types and both can operate on 110v or 220v.

The hard wired Gen 2 Tesla wall charger worked flawlessly for three years and I sold it on eBay for $50 less than I paid for it after I traded the Model 3. I would have gotten a Tesla to J1772 adapter for it for use with my Taycan, except the 8 foot cable on the unit I had would not reach the port on the Taycan front fender. The Grizzl-E EVSE worked well for 10 months, but when the charging plug got stuck in the Taycan port on three separate occasions I quit using it. Not sure if the problem was the EVSE or the car, but a number of emails to Grizzl-E have gone unanswered so I am probably going to write them off.

Very few of the portable third party EVSEs offer L1/L2 (110v/220v) functionality and also offer a good selection of power cord types. I considered a Mustart Travelmaster (Gen 2) for $379 and the J+ Booster 2 for $700, but in the end I decided on the $200 Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector with a $150 Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter. Among these three portable units, the Tesla mobile charger has the smallest case and the best chance of fitting in the small compartment below the floor of the cargo. The J+ Booster 2 EVSE, made in Switzerland, comes with a case that is 21" x 14' x 6" which has no chance of fitting in the MB under-cargo storage compartment.

Twice in the last four years I had to rely upon the 110v L1 EVSE when I was staying in remote areas of Vermont without public chargers. While the $250 MB 110v option would work in an emergency, this unit could not make use of a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet that might also be available. Also, the Tesla to J1772 adapter could be a life saver if the only available charger on a road trip is a Tesla destination EVSE.

If the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter works well with the MB, I will probably purchase a hard wired Gen 3 Tesla EVSE to replace the Grizzl-E unit for my garage charger. The Tesla Gen 3 unit is priced at $400 and I think it is one of the best values available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you thought about what you will use as a "travel" charger.
Actually, I have not. We don't take car trips of a length that would require a recharge. The two closest major cities are about a 45 minute flight vs a 6+ hour drive from our major city, so that's not happening. I work from home. With a ~350 mile range, I expect to recharge at home overnight about once every three, maybe four weeks. Planning on a 40 amp plug-in JuiceBox in my garage with the new 240v 14-50 outlet I just had installed. Maybe I should carry a cable for "just in case" emergencies, thinking of it like a spare tire, but I also expect the charging public infrastructure to improve rapidly in case we have a completely unforeseen road trip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts