Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I recently purchased an EQC and was told that once I have a wall box fitted I can charge the battery from 0-100 in approx. 10hrs. I have since had a BP Chargemaster inform me that due to my home cabling the max I could achieve is between 3-3.2kw. This is no different to a 3 pin charger which takes approx. 40hrs to charge. Unless I’m missing something, there is no benefit in me having a wall box installed. I know the infrastructure for charging is not there but I did not appreciate that I would have problems with my own home framework. At least Mercedes did not mention this to me nor does the brochures mention that the estimated charge times are based on XYZ. Would be grateful to get your thoughts on this.
thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi.
It’s down to the potential electrical load that you have in your property. The potential load or fault level is the maximum load that your property will draw in terms of current (Amps). The EV charger installer should carry out an electrical load survey of your property and then advise the local district network operating company (DNO) what this theoretical maximum load would be. The DNO needs to give permission to the installer to allow an EV charger to be connected, as they don’t want their fuse to blow which would result in you having no power to your house and a bill for them to come out and replace the fuse.

Modern houses have a 100Amp fuse fitted in the meter box and are owned by your local DNO. Older properties have a 60 Amp fuse. So basically your wall mount EV charger is limited to half power because you may have a 60 Amp fuse fitted and/or you have a lot of potential electrical load e.g more than one electric shower

Charging at 3kW should take around 20 hours which should equate to half the time of using a 3 pin plug.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apartment building (5yrs old in central london) has cabling that will provide for 3.6kwh. Upgrading to provide more will mean cable upgrade cost of £10k+
Not something I knew when I purchased, and you only really know when requesting installation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m sorry to hear of your situation.

From what I hear, apartments and EV chargers don’t go so well together. Builders didn’t future proof and provide enough load capacity for such things as EV chargers for individuals never mind for every occupant.

I guess that there are things that we are all learning with EV chargers.

Maybe your best bet is to find a rapid changer close to your home or work and get on a contract with them. Better still, do what my colleague in Edinburgh has done and find a free one close to his house!

·
Registered
170 Posts
not picked up any major issues here re co proprieter as they are called and a huge no of people live in apartments. We do have a situation where you can choose the KVA rate of your supply according to your needs and the standing charge is lowered accordingly so if you only have lighting and fridge you can have a 6KVA supply we currently have a 12KVA and will update to 15KVA at an additional cost of 30 euro per year. Nowadays it is controlled bu the new Linky smart meters installed in the old days it was a manual disjonctuer so to change involved someone coming out and once you went up the rating you could not later decrease it. Have too low a rate and when more amps are pulled the supply just cuts off and the main disjoncteur flips. Seems U.K. building regs allow the developers to get away putting in the minimum as ever. Having an old farmhouse I could revert to tri phase in the future and have a 22kw charger which I may well do once I finally get an electric e class🤞

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting. I didn’t know that you could vary your load requirements as a domestic user. Something that I thought was only reserved for large commercial and industrial end users who I know have to pay a king’s ransom to up their loads. My charger is 7.4kW rated which is the maximum permissible for single phase supply. I’ve just ordered my new EQC to go with it.
3 phase is what allows the public chargers to push out power at 50kW and Tesla chargers to 150kW. It’s a pity that the Merc can’t benefit from that!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting. I didn’t know that you could vary your load requirements as a domestic user. Something that I thought was only reserved for large commercial and industrial end users who I know have to pay a king’s ransom to up their loads. My charger is 7.4kW rated which is the maximum permissible for single phase supply. I’ve just ordered my new EQC to go with it.
3 phase is what allows the public chargers to push out power at 50kW and Tesla chargers to 150kW. It’s a pity that the Merc can’t benefit from that!
When do you anticipate delivery? Mine is due the end of July but wondering if it will be delayed with the chip shortages everyone is discussing🤔 installation of my wallbox has just been completed this am. Electrician had to come back as his drill bit broke the first time trying to drill through the granite wall🙄. sadly here in france Mercedes pay for the most basic chargers (new motion home advanced) so no ability to control it just plug and go and he was not able to fit a controller on the circuit so we are stuck with having to manually flick the switch to use cheap rate not ideal and not impressive for what is a 90K euro car here (AMG premium plus with towbar)😤looking to get an additional cable so there is one with the charger and one in the car. Was thinking of future proofing and getting a 3phase as in the future I could revert to 3phase if needed. Seems if I do that then the cable would be good for higher rates at public chargers is available ie 22kw think over that they all have captive chargers with the CCS plugs. Any thoughts? Friend suggested I get a 7m one for additional flexibility but I know the cables are a bit awkward to stow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When do you anticipate delivery? Mine is due the end of July but wondering if it will be delayed with the chip shortages everyone is discussing🤔 installation of my wallbox has just been completed this am. Electrician had to come back as his drill bit broke the first time trying to drill through the granite wall🙄. sadly here in france Mercedes pay for the most basic chargers (new motion home advanced) so no ability to control it just plug and go and he was not able to fit a controller on the circuit so we are stuck with having to manually flick the switch to use cheap rate not ideal and not impressive for what is a 90K euro car here (AMG premium plus with towbar)😤looking to get an additional cable so there is one with the charger and one in the car. Was thinking of future proofing and getting a 3phase as in the future I could revert to 3phase if needed. Seems if I do that then the cable would be good for higher rates at public chargers is available ie 22kw think over that they all have captive chargers with the CCS plugs. Any thoughts? Friend suggested I get a 7m one for additional flexibility but I know the cables are a bit awkward to stow.
i

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don’t have a delivery date yet as I only ordered it on Monday through my employer’s leasing contact. I spoke to them yesterday and they hadn’t orders on the dealer yet 🙄, so I gave them a hurry up pill 😀. Apart from being difficult to read the display in the sun, my charger is seems pretty good. It links to an app on my phone. I’ll be changing energy providers to get a cheaper rate for overnight. Hoping for 6p/kW. I borrowed an EQ-C for a week to test. I stoped at a rapid charger at a motorway service station and it was 60p/kW. I’ll be trying to avoid those in future. I’ll hopefully find out about delivery times next week but my local dealer seems to think they’re coming through in about 3 months. I hope he is right

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I recently purchased an EQC and was told that once I have a wall box fitted I can charge the battery from 0-100 in approx. 10hrs. I have since had a BP Chargemaster inform me that due to my home cabling the max I could achieve is between 3-3.2kw. This is no different to a 3 pin charger which takes approx. 40hrs to charge. Unless I’m missing something, there is no benefit in me having a wall box installed. I know the infrastructure for charging is not there but I did not appreciate that I would have problems with my own home framework. At least Mercedes did not mention this to me nor does the brochures mention that the estimated charge times are based on XYZ. Would be grateful to get your thoughts on this.
thanks
My installer did a load survey and said I couldn't have a 7.5kw one installed unless I upgraded from 60 to 100amp and he organised it with the electricity network supplier to come and upgrade the supply to my property for free. They had to dig up the driveway and swap some cabling on the outside of the building plus replace a couple of boxes on the wall outside but only took them a few hours to do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don’t have a delivery date yet as I only ordered it on Monday through my employer’s leasing contact. I spoke to them yesterday and they hadn’t orders on the dealer yet 🙄, so I gave them a hurry up pill 😀. Apart from being difficult to read the display in the sun, my charger is seems pretty good. It links to an app on my phone. I’ll be changing energy providers to get a cheaper rate for overnight. Hoping for 6p/kW. I borrowed an EQ-C for a week to test. I stoped at a rapid charger at a motorway service station and it was 60p/kW. I’ll be trying to avoid those in future. I’ll hopefully find out about delivery times next week but my local dealer seems to think they’re coming through in about 3 months. I hope he is right
I have not heard anything yet indicating a delay and 3mths from order is the normal Mercedes timescale. My e class was delayed by the need for rest testing for the revised WLTP figs in 2018 and in the end was 3mths late. Garage were really helpful as my C class drowned in a flood 2 weeks before the end of the lease so I had nothing but they lent me a car until the e arrived free of charge. The service they provide has always been top class have to say and the deal on the EQC was just too good to turn down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not heard anything yet indicating a delay and 3mths from order is the normal Mercedes timescale. My e class was delayed by the need for rest testing for the revised WLTP figs in 2018 and in the end was 3mths late. Garage were really helpful as my C class drowned in a flood 2 weeks before the end of the lease so I had nothing but they lent me a car until the e arrived free of charge. The service they provide has always been top class have to say and the deal on the EQC was just too good to turn down.
My colleague has just had his Audi A3 delivery delayed ‘due to chip shortage’

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh dear shall not hold my breath then for my EQC. The lease on the e does not expire until Sept so I have some time but I will expect and no doubt they will keep me mobile.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts