Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have just stumbled on this forum after several weeks of researching an EQC which I finally ordered yesterday. I am based in France and have been driving Mercedes non stop since 2008 when I arrived here. I arrived with a 2007 e class estate which is still going strong and since have been through a GLK (which never made it to the U.K. but was the pre cursor to the GLC) a c class estate and a current e class fully fitted with all the driving assistance burmester head up display etc etc tech found in the EQC. I am therefore fully comfortable with the old comand way of doing things but have to convert to the MBUX infotainment system. On the test drive it seemed very similar and for me as a Mercedes driver very easy to adapt too time will tell. The EQC is not my preferred option and I will be looking to change it as soon as either the EQE saloon comes out or if that load space is not quite right the EQE SUV though SUV are my least preferred body style. But my e class was at the end of its lease and none of the hybrides fitted my needs mainly as Mercedes France have not optioned to have either 4matic or air matic. no 4 wheel drive is a deal breaker for me given the rural location I live in and to have the same car without the benefits of that and air suspension as I have now and one with added bits of ugly plastic (to my eyes at least I am talking about the all terrain) is unattractive. We are really under the cosh here in terms of penalties at the point of registration with one off tax payments for higher CO2 emissions (they can reach 20k for some models)and the price of diesel is rising as a result of deliberate taxation so I decided I would make the jump now to electric. I liked the EQC to drive and was quite impressed but it does lack that little bit of indefinable extra luxury feel that the e has and looking at the new C which has just launched which that also seems to have leapfrogged
over the e now. But that is a bit nit picky on my part compared to the GLK it is an improvement! So I shall start reading through this forum and add if I feel my existing knowledge may help anyone. My deal was excellent inc no deposit and a wall box and the freedom to change after 18mths with no penalty so I am happy. Will talk about our system of chargers later as it seems appropriate.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello do you own an EQC actually?
Hi Pierre yes I have had it since Sept and am very happy with it, despite having reservations initially now after 6 mths ownership I will not be rushing to replace it before the lease expires as I expected I would. I will keep it for the full 3yrs.
It is a joy to drive and I find it reasonably efficient it just does what it says it does. Waiting for the augmented reality chip to be retrofitted when the chip is available and was disappointed when I opened the bonnet to find no engine cover 😱 but it is actually no big deal. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello thanks for the reply, may i ask what is the real autonomy of the car? I have been watching a lot of you tube videos where people tend to say 300 km max at 90km/h.is it true? Thanks for your kindness and prompt repsonse

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apologies for the delay in responding. I am unable to reply in detail at the moment but will do say later today but I will say those in warmer climates do get better range than those in colder Northern Europe. I am aware that those in australia do see 400kplus range. Will write in more detail later

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you very much for all the help you are giving me. I am about to buy an eqc but i am doubting because the real range, i need a t least 300 Kms of autonomy and i live in a city that has an altitude of 2, 300 mts and when going down everything is kind of perfect cause of the regen the problem is when have to coming back to home have to climb again from maybe sea level or 800 mts to 2,300 mts, i have a lot of doubts.
thanks you for sharing your experiences.
do you know if there is any other blog for the eqc so i can read more testimonies?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mexico is probably more like Australia than wintry northern Europe. On a no-traffic 110km/h motorway trip in light rain I managed about 364km. On a dry motorway trip in heavy congestion (average speed of 61km/hr) at 26C that went as high as 413km recently.
Speedometer Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Tachometer

248 kms traveled with 165km range remaining. 18.9 kWh/100km is about the best I've managed.

I think our sub-tropical climate is a good match with EV driving. I can easily charge at 108kW when I pull into a 350kW charger, no battery pre-conditioning required.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am struggling with time today so I apologise I have not written the details I wanted or promised but I have previously posted at length in response to some complaints about EQC /EQA range here scroll through the thread as my posts are a way down. I think it relevant to refer to this as I do find some of the complaints on here v range are actually just based on misunderstanding the whole concept of the suggested range figure and how it is calculated.
What needs to be considered is the efficiency you can achieve and that fig will enable you to calculate your range ie my efficency to date over 6,136km driving is 25.1kwh/100 km.
With an 80kwh battery that gives a range of 318km. I live in Normandie France in the north west of the country and our weather is very variable rather like the U.K. Since the car was delivered temperatures have dropped over winter and that has affected the efficiency. My period of ownership has seen temps at around 18 C down to minus 4 or 5C and below 8C one starts to notice the diff between prewarming the car and not.
As far as forums go there are not that many dealing with the EQC mbworld.org does have a discussion and it is there I saw discussions about people in Australia achieving 400k range.
Speak.EV is full of very useful information and background on driving all electric cars and range and efficiency etc but very few specific EQC discussions.
If you speak French Automobile.propre also has good general discussions but little on EQC specifically.
How will you charge your car? At home or at work? I use d auto in comfort so the car freewheels a lot of the time if the incl is good enough and she uses hardly any electricity when doing so so for me it is a climb up to my village( not in your terms we are talking maybe 60m elevation🤣) and I may arrive at 34kwh/100 but with the glide home it is down to 24 just examples but it makes a huge diff. Also remember regen will not happen if the battery is full so starting at 100% your descent to work will not gain you much but you will still have lots for the climb back to then recharge at home. In that case it is really the efficiency Climbing and how much power you need for that part of the journey that is important.
To get the 400km range you will need to be seeing figs around 20kwh/100km and I have seen mone deliver below that on warm days on the right journey ie ups balancing downs or more downs and with little stop start. i can travel at a steady speed as our roads are good and we do not have lots of traffic or junctions. will you be driving in heavy traffic as hauling the car back up to speed will impact its efficiency as it weighs a lot mine is 2555kg as I have the towbar fitted.
Have a look around the other sites and come back with any questions but I think the range quoted by Mercedes’ is totally achievable BUT it needs warm weather and good traffic conditions but uphill downhill per se does balance out to some degree.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. In that case it is really the efficiency Climbing and how much power you need for that part of the journey that is important.

what I mean by that is you could arrive at work having only used 10% because you have glided down so then will 90% be enough at the higher consumption rate. so say 72kw left over 200km means you need to achieve 36kwh/100km to complete the journey. Hope my ramblings help🙄😉

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tanks for all your comments, i am french based in mexico and electric cars are a challenging thing to but here, no fast charging almost nowhere, so i am doubting a bit on buying the EQC or not. i have a lot of doubts,they are offering me an eqc sport with AMG kit etc , and 21 inch wheels, what re your thoughts? Really appreciate your comments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This would be the road almost 390 Kms, from sea level to 2,250 meters. I send you a pic of the plug share graphic, what are your comments
thanks
View attachment 1172
Looking at some of the favored European apps for charger locations Chargemap and A better route planner public chargers seem rather rare so I can appreciate your concerns. Really you need some real world experience in your environment as I am certain it is very different from the European one. I think you could achieve 300km with no issue and probably closer to the 400 km based on the better weather but how much of a strain and additional requirements the terrain will add is difficult to gauge as I have no alpine experience as yet. If it was me I would want to live with the car myself for a few days and try the route so if mercedes really want to sell you an EQC they should loan one to you with full backup (garage support to get you home) should you try the trip and find you run out of power . That way you will know from experience what is reasonable to expect. If they refuse I think I would walk away as you do not want to end up with a car that you cannot drive. Here now in France it is relatively easy to make the jump to BEV but somewhere still only just setting up the infrastructure where you want to cover closer to the max range a vehicle offers it becomes much more difficult to decide. Are there any other vehicles available with a more comfortable range available? I do think though the EQC is a great car and if it has enough range for your needs I would recommend it. I am sorry I cannot offer more detailed information. I will say my dealership lent me a car for a couple of days and it was a good call as I was smitten. They had to bring it in specially too and I was the first EQC buyer from their dealership though I have a long-standing relationship with them since 2012 and this is my 4th new car. Keep us updated and Bonne chance😉

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just tapped your journey into A Better Route Planner configured for my EQC which is pretty close to yours (actually, I've got 20" wheels so my range is likely better than yours). In reckons the journey is not possible, and I'd arrive on -29%.

Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

you might find this interesting showing the difference between eté and hiver range and also the difference with high speed and town driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts

you might find this interesting showing the difference between eté and hiver range and also the difference with high speed and town driving.
Thanks you very much for all the advice, will keep you posted.
thanks again

1 - 20 of 27 Posts