Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post here, I have a 2020 EQC 400, 34,000 miles, driven mainly in Comfort, and this winter the range from a full charge has dropped well below what I was expecting…

the attached photo was taken today following a full charge…

should I be moaning at Mercedes, or is this about right?

thanks in advance for any comments.

Attachments

· Registered
69 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have anything intelligent to add, since my EV hasn't even been built yet.
BUT, I think it would be interesting for readers to know whether this winter range varies significantly from the prior year(s)' range. If you got, for example 250 miles the prior winter, then I would be moaning at Mercedes to check the health of your battery.

· Registered
583 Posts
Hi, first post here, I have a 2020 EQC 400, 34,000 miles, driven mainly in Comfort, and this winter the range from a full charge has dropped well below what I was expecting…

the attached photo was taken today following a full charge…

should I be moaning at Mercedes, or is this about right?

thanks in advance for any comments.
My first question was what were you expecting and why? Have you only recently got the car?
The important thing to realise it that the range is predicted from recent efficiency data ie your mpg in old parlance of your recent trips.
So in this case at a rough check of 149 range divided by the battery size of 80kw indicates an efficiency of around 1.86 miles per kWh which is low but not surprising for such a big car what is the trip meter showing? Have you been doing lots of short journeys with no preheating in cold weather?
I work in kw/100km and in the summer regularly see below 20kwh/100km efficiency, currently it varies from 24.2 to 34 yesterday on a 16 min journey in minus temps. At the moment at 60% my car gives a range of 169 km in the summer I see 180+ for 50% SOC. So the GOM expects me to realise an efficiency figure of 28.4kwh/100km which given my last journey on Monday was 34kwh/100km and today was 26.5kwh/100km on arun with a decent downhill portion seems reasonable. however what I actually achieve once I go out again will depend on temps, terrain and lenght of the journey and whether I drive well or aggressively all variables that affect consumption.
If you have not discovered it the mercedes eco coach app is worth looking at.
So to answer your question it could be nothing more than the GOM as they are affectionately known by BEV drivers (Guess o meter) reflecting some short or high energy usage journeys. Look at your consumption on the road and you can better judge if it is conditions of use coupled with the cold which does increase energy usage by a noticeable margin.
Trawl this site and you will come across other postings on this topic.
If you are a longstanding owner of course and your patterns of driving have changed much then it might indicate a drop in battery condition but my understanding is Mercedes have some hidden capacity which they no doubt release in the early period to keep owners happy leaving the issue of battery degradation to later users who are outside the warranties.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts