Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I attempted to use an Ionity charging point today. I ended calling the helpline and trying all four chargers. It would only charge at 3kw, at first I thought this was due to the level when I started but it didn’t improve. I managed to get up to 26kw on one unit and then it dropped again to 3kw. The operator on the helpline had no idea why this was occurring as users had successful fast charges before me.
I moved my car to a 50kw PodPoint in the end and it worked without issue.

Has anyone had this experience?
Is it the charger or the car?

I am finding my car is great for short journeys where I can charge each night from home but I no longer have confidence in it for the long hauls. Buyers remorse!

·
Registered
198 Posts
For long hauls, what works for me is not letting battery go too low before charging, so can drive on to a selection of other chargers easily if encounter problems.

Coming from a technical perspective, I would try Ionity at a different location using the Ionity app.

If using Mercedes Me then contact them using the button near the center rear view mirror, if still a problem as it sounds like something with car if other people are successfully able to charge before and after you.

The slowest I have got from Ionity was 45kw when it was below 0c and I didn't navigate to the charger with Mercedes navigation. Be interested to know if you get resolved

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have only used Ionity on one return trip and needed 4 charges. 2 where with a pretty full battery taking it to 100% and it was taking around 80kwh, 1 started lower SOC but still pushed a similar charge as it reached over 80% SOC the last when I just needed a smaller amount to get me home with a 20% buffer and the SOC was around 35% would not deliver more than 36kw so cost me 3 times as much as each of the others for 5kw less (currently we pay by the min here in France but this changes thankfully in July when it reverts to kw del). I did not have the sense to unplug and try other chargers or reconnect to see if the one concerned would up the charge. All the talk here is Ionity are amongst the most reliable chargers but no doubt the sheer complexity of the systems will throw up the odd issue. The cars can sometimes do odd things themselves and the ambient temp, battery temp etc etc all influences the charge rate. DAR’s advice is I think sound and one I adhere too topping up little and often and not letting the car get too low if at all possible. On my first long trip with the car the charger location was well positioned but it can be a bit sub optimal on the more obscure motorways here.
Am about to take a cross country route where there will be no Ionity but plenty of the 50kw rapids on the way just off route in the main towns I pass through dotted about in various industrial zones some with cafes nearby so I plan to use those ones and have a short break myself but there will be back ups if needed. It just takes experience to build the confidence armed with a map of chargers and a bit of planning and all should be ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had exactly the same issue yesterday at a fairly new set of Ionity chargers. Started at 33KwH but very quickly dropped to 3KwH where it stayed until I got bored!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts