Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to purchase an EQS. I’m looking to purchase as fast a charger that I can install in my home. I have looked at the Chargepoint home flex. While the Mercedes recommended charge is a FLO X5. The FLO maximin charge is 32amps and 7.5 Kw, while the chargepoint is 60amps and 11kw. Will the EQS accept the 60amps and 11kw that the chargepoint puts out?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Maybe an owner can comment about 60amp acceptance but regarding the Flo, X5 is:

NEMA 4X certified for bad weather

Made by a Canadian company AddÉnergie Technologies Inc

Supported by specially trained Canadian technicians

Tested compliant with Canadian and other safety standards such as
  • CSA C22.2 No. 0-10 General Requirements – Canadian Electrical code, part II.
  • CSA C22.2 No. 281.1-12/UL2231-1 Standard for safety for personnel
protection systems for electrical vehicle (EV) supply circuits: General
requirements.
- CSA C22.2 No. 281.2-12/UL2231-2 Standard for safety for personnel
protection systems for electric vehicle (EV) supply circuits: Particular
requirements for protection devices for use in charging systems.
- CSA C22.2 No. 280-13/UL2594 (1st edition) Electric vehicle supply
equipment (EVSE).
  • CSA C22.2 No. 0.8-12 Safety functions incorporating electronic technology.
  • UL1998 Standard for software in programmable components.
  • UL991 Standard for Tests for Safety-Related Controls Employing
Solid-State Devices.
- NEC 2014 section 625.

Compared to Chargepoint is Californian (and is "Buy America" compliant) but maybe ask Chargepoint or an expert about reasonable Canada standards compliance and NEMA 4X equivalence and let us know their official response

·
Registered
353 Posts
Following up on this, Mercedes Canada publish spec of onboard ac charger to be 9.6kw so I don't think 11kw is possible with ac. My experience is you can still plug in ac 11kw and car will restrict appropriately:

EQS SUV is the same:

If you want faster you could ask Smappee about a DC charger. They may say the DC will be more expensive (tens of thousands instead of tens of hundreds) and not ideal for residences due to what I would call "old fridge" noise. Be interesting what they say!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m about to purchase an EQS. I’m looking to purchase as fast a charger that I can install in my home. I have looked at the Chargepoint home flex. While the Mercedes recommended charge is a FLO X5. The FLO maximin charge is 32amps and 7.5 Kw, while the chargepoint is 60amps and 11kw. Will the EQS accept the 60amps and 11kw that the chargepoint puts out?
My EQS maxes out at [email protected] volts or 9.6kW. A 7.4kw charger will therefore not take advantage of the already rather mediocre max charge rate, especially for an almost 108kWH battery. I just kept my Tesla 19.2kW charger and purchased a TeslaTap adapter to enable charging of the EQS.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. Between the chargepoint homeflex and the wall box 48A which would you recommend?
You should also consider the new Tesla J1772 EVSE. It is very reasonably priced and supports multiple units on one circuit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have purchased the wall box, when I set the amps to 40 the EQS still only accepts 7.4 kw and will not accept the 9.6 that the 40 amps produces. Can someone please explain how I can get the EQS to accept the 40amps, 9.6 kw? Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have purchased the wall box, when I set the amps to 40 the EQS still only accepts 7.4 kw and will not accept the 9.6 that the 40 amps produces. Can someone please explain how I can get the EQS to accept the 40amps, 9.6 kw? Thanks
When you configure the EVSE to a particular amps rating you are specifying the value of the circuit breaker. The EVSE then throttles the amperage to 80% of that value so that you are not tripping the breaker. To reach a 9.6 kW rate you need to have a 50 amp circuit breaker. Which brand wall connector did you get? I just installed the Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector this week on a 40 amp circuit. My charging rate is 7.4 kW which is fine for my needs since my peak rate window is only four hours in the afternoon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 60 amp breaker and a 48 amp Wallbox, so I don’t think it’s with the output from the source. Can it be a calibration from the car as to what it will accept?
If you have a 60 amp breaker, why did you set the amps to 40. If you configure it to 60, the EVSE will be capable of 11 kW but the EQS will use 9.6 kW since that is the limit of the onboard charger in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I set the walllbox at 48amp (11 kw) the car would only charge at 7.5 kw, it would not charge at a higher rate. I was concerned that I would damage something if I providing more amps than the car would accept so I reduced the amps coming from the Wallbox (you can dial down the amps coming from the wallbox) to 32amps

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I set the walllbox at 48amp (11 kw) the car would only charge at 7.5 kw, it would not charge at a higher rate. I was concerned that I would damage something if I providing more amps than the car would accept so I reduced the amps coming from the Wallbox (you can dial down the amps coming from the wallbox) to 32amps
I think you need to try the EQS at a different EVSE known to be on a 50 or 60 amp circuit to compare the charging rate. That should help determine whether the issue is with the car or the EVSE. BTW, did you wait a few minutes before noting the 7.5 rate? My experience is that the car starts charging at a lower rate which creeps up to a maximum of 7.4 kW after a short period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts