Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
The photos above are from the 350+ I looked at here in Sweden last week. I will be driving it too later this month -- just to confirm that I will like it.
My primary goal is to get the longest range possible from a mid-sized electric SUV. Tesla is not an option I will consider. That leaves BMW iX as the next runner-up. I haven't tried it, but I have difficulty warming up to it online. The price offered by the dealer 891 540 SEK is approximately $84,100 US at today's exchange rate. And that includes 25% VAT tax. Have fun with the Swedish. I think you'll be able to figure out most of it, however. Let me know if you want any translation for amusement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Indeed, it is difficult to compare across markets, as different countries have different standard equipment packages. Taxes vary, exchange rates fluctuate, etc. etc. But what is useful is to be able to see which versons and options are available to each market. I was, for example, astounded to see that we have significantly more versions of the EQE sedan available here in Sweden than I can see on the MB's configurator for the German market.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I briefly thought about BMW iX, as I now have two BMWs and have been brand loyal for many years. First one was 1971 2500 (used) and first new one was 1977 320i. But, I went to see the iX and I just cannot bear the thought of having to look at it every day. I tried but cannot fit into the rear seat of a BMW i4 due to leg length. I almost ordered a Fisker Ocean, but it turned out not to be for me. Polestar 3 is too long a wait. Tesla doesn't meet my minimum quality expectations. MB wins!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I briefly thought about BMW iX, as I now have two BMWs and have been brand loyal for many years. First one was 1971 2500 (used) and first new one was 1977 320i. But, I went to see the iX and I just cannot bear the thought of having to look at it every day. I tried but cannot fit into the rear seat of a BMW i4 due to leg length. I almost ordered a Fisker Ocean, but it turned out not to be for me. Polestar 3 is too long a wait. Tesla doesn't meet my minimum quality expectations. MB wins!
I've never driven a BMW. They are very popular here.
I have owned a Mercedes before. A 1972 250 Sedan, which I bought in 1984. I learned after a couple of years of owning that car that if one cannot afford a new Mercedes, once most certainly cannot afford a used Mercedes ;-) Now, I'm coming back for that new Mercedes!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I've never driven a BMW. They are very popular here.
I have owned a Mercedes before. A 1972 250 Sedan, which I bought in 1984. I learned after a couple of years of owning that car that if one cannot afford a new Mercedes, once most certainly cannot afford a used Mercedes ;-) Now, I'm coming back for that new Mercedes!
I got hooked after my first drives in a 2002 and then the used 2500 I could afford at the time in the 1970s. We had some Mercedes in the early 2000s, including my 2009 C300 6MT, but then I returned to BMW for my 2 Series that I still play with. My wife had some M-Class (now the GLE) and an E Class. This marks my first return to MB since then.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Just back from driving the 350+ sedan. Plenty of power for normal daily driving use. But, I discovered a potential problem that has apparently affected others as well. In the sedan (which has a lower seating position than does the SUV), with the standard instrumentation, there was no combination of seating position and steering wheel position where I could see the speedometer, neither the digital readout blocked by the top of the wheel, nor the upper left quadrant of the dial speedometer, blocked by that part of the steering wheel. I was told several consumers had complained about this and one canceled his order for this reason. The line of sight design is surprisingly poor and dysfunctional. I don't recall having this issue at all in the EQS SUV with hyperscreen that I tested to get the sense of the shared front compartment with the EQE SUV. But, there was no SUV with hyperscreen again to compare this issue in detail today.

The dealer strongly believes that hyperscreen will only be available on the 500 or AMG 53, not the 350+. This is the pattern so far with EQE and EQS sedans as well as EQS SUV. This means for the sake of seeing the speedometer, I move past "wanting" the hyperscreen to "requiring" it. I am 6'2". I suspect someone 5'10" or shorter may not have this same issue in the sedan. But, as I said, I have to now go back to reconfirm the EQS SUV with hyperscreen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just back from driving the 350+ sedan. Plenty of power for normal daily driving use. But, I discovered a potential problem that has apparently affected others as well. In the sedan (which has a lower seating position than does the SUV), with the standard instrumentation, there was no combination of seating position and steering wheel position where I could see the speedometer, neither the digital readout blocked by the top of the wheel, nor the upper left quadrant of the dial speedometer, blocked by that part of the steering wheel. I was told several consumers had complained about this and one canceled his order for this reason. The line of sight design is surprisingly poor and dysfunctional. I don't recall having this issue at all in the EQS SUV with hyperscreen that I tested to get the sense of the shared front compartment with the EQE SUV. But, there was no SUV with hyperscreen again to compare this issue in detail today.

The dealer strongly believes that hyperscreen will only be available on the 500 or AMG 53, not the 350+. This is the pattern so far with EQE and EQS sedans as well as EQS SUV. This means for the sake of seeing the speedometer, I move past "wanting" the hyperscreen to "requiring" it. I am 6'2". I suspect someone 5'10" or shorter may not have this same issue in the sedan. But, as I said, I have to now go back to reconfirm the EQS SUV with hyperscreen.
You should be glad, Sportstick! Now you have what you needed!! A bonafide reason for ordering the hyperscreen :)

You may have noticed comments from my 350+ test drive yesterday in the other thread. I didn't mention anything about the speedometer visibility. I'm 5' 10" and yes, I found the steering wheel blocked my clear view of the speedometer. I regret that I did not take the time to experiment much further with steering wheel, seat positions and visibility of the speedometer. This was probably for a combination of four reasons: 1) I have lived with this speedometer visibility problem in my Volvo S60 for the last 20 years, so it didn't seem "abnormal" to me. 2) The car I was testing had the heads up display, which projected the speed onto the lower part of the windshield, which was always clearly visible 3) The car I drove was configured with a "fake" digital dial-type speedometer on the screen. The dealer showed me how, with a push of a button, I could change the screen style/layout. For example, replacing the digital speedometer "dial" with a single number readout (perhaps this is what you were referring to?). I didn't take time to play with this, but I suspect it could be an adequate workaround for dash visibility problems for a car without the hyperscreen. 4) I plan to order the hyperscreen anyway, so didn't pay that much attention to the standard screen.

I whined (again) about having to go for the 500 in order to be able to order the hyperscreen and my dealer, too, indicated his strong belief that the hyperscreen will not be offered on anything less -- at least in the early part of this rollout.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It could be worse. From what I've read from UK writers, the hyperscreen will not be available in any vehicles -- at least for now. I imagine this is because it would involve re-designing the entire screen due to right-hand drive.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts