Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So is it a legal requirement to inform your insurance company that your car has been modified by the manufacturer from original specification? Even more interesting will be whether your insurance company will consider this manufacture deactivation as a removal of a safety device and your premium will be altered accordingly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
It is likely illegal to not be properly insured and if you don’t declare all modifications to your insurer and later need to make a claim, the insurer may attempt refuse to pay out or give you a reduced payout, therefore I think it may be advisable you check with insurer if they are aware of the difference to standard expected "brochure" spec.

Completely removing parking sensors likely increases insurer perceived risk on average by under 14% and disabling Park Assist completely might also increase risk, however I note that improving brakes can increase insurance by 36% even though in my case I am convinced it would make me a safer driver!

Personally I have found Park Assist a benefit overall and in my car I can deactivate audio fadeout (radio volume lowering) as well as change tone pitch and lower volume so it is less intrusive than traditional systems yet still useful, though others for different reasons wish they could disable Park Assist completely instead of disabling at start of every journey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if you are aware that it is Mercedes that have disabled it not the owner. The point is no formal notice of this has been made to owners.

·
Registered
198 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts