Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an EQS. Very excited. Have a few questions about public charging.
Does the 2-year free charging start when you purchase the car or when you activate the Mercedes me Charge? Currently, I am charging at home and do not have to go out to charge. Maybe I can delay the two-year period for a few months.
The car came with a small Charge card? is it used at the station or you can just use phones?
Thank you all!!!
Norman

·
Registered
317 Posts
Best wishes on your EQS. The card could be useful for stations that recognise it, and technically in future may be helpful if that charger is disconnected from internet yet has the software to still accept and record cards for when later connected. You can check which method work best for you as well as other methods like MBUX car touchscreen or Mercedes Me app or Electrify America PlugAndCharge.

You would need check with Mercedes Me if free charging is already activated on your behalf. If you login to mercedes.me in an internet browser, assuming you have already setup a Mercedes Me account, it might give you even more detailed information about terms for various services than the app does, else contact Mercedes Me before setting up account

Mercedes Me-
(or https://mercedes.me however security certificate for that needs updating)

Overview of charging-

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does the 2-year free charging start when you purchase the car or when you activate the Mercedes me Charge? Currently, I am charging at home and do not have to go out to charge. Maybe I can delay the two-year period for a few months.
My response is based on what I have learnt in the UK - but it might apply elsewhere as it is a Mercedes me Charge benefit (which itself is global).

My car was delivered and after pairing the car with my Mercedes me phone app the free IONITY charging for a year was activated - even though I did not have a Mercedes me Charge account. How? Not even Mercedes can answer that.

I eventually setup a Mercedes me Charge account (on the advice of Mercedes Me Charge and the supplying dealer - as I was 'losing' the benefit of free IONITY) about a month after getting the car and then "reactivated" IONITY. The free IONITY was then updated to show the "new and extended" contract end date (!!). Had i known it would do this I would have waited another month before doing it.

After a LONG and VERY protracted, and sometimes heated, discussion with Mercedes Benz UK and Mercedes me Charge... the answer is... free charging is activated only when you decide to activate it. You can have a Mercedes me Charge account - and not activate free charging. At some point you can then activate free charging and it is then active for the period mentioned. (In the UK it is 1 year of free IONITY). I had this confirmed by Mercedes Benz UK after I raised a formal complaint to them against the supplying dealer and Mercedes me Charge for misleading information and not knowing about the product they were offering. They went and investigated and provided the answer above.

The key points are:
  1. Mercedes me Charge is a service you have to activate - and it does not have to be when you get the car. It is not activated when the car is supplied
  2. Free charging (whether IONITY in Europe or EA in North America) is just one of the products available to people with an activated Mercedes me Charge account. You can pick and choose the product(s) you want to subscribe to and activate. The free charging is, effectively, one of the subset of the products available
  3. Once you decide to activate the free charging, you e-sign a contract and that contract is then valid for the period stated

Hope the above helps... but I strongly suggest getting it checked with Mercedes Benz North America (not Mercedes me Charge or your supplying dealer).

The car came with a small Charge card? is it used at the station or you can just use phones?
I too have the black Mercedes me Charge card - but mine came via mail a day or so after the car was delivered.

Once you have activated a Mercedes me Charge account and also activated free charging you (well, in my case) don't need the card. The EQS has plug-and-charge so what I do is:
  • Navigate to a charging station (that is part of the Mercedes me Charge network)
  • Plug in (and nothing else)
  • Walk away, get a coffee and watch YouTube

I only use IONITY for public charging (caveat in a while) and I have never needed the black card. However, if the plug-and-charge doesn't work you can:
  • Plug in and then do one of the following....
  • Touch the black card onto the reader on the charging station. Lock car. Go get a coffee
  • Open the Mercedes me app on your phone, go to the charging dashboard and press the blue 'Charge' button. Lock car. Go get a coffee
  • Open the Mercedes me app on your phone, select to scan a QR code and scan the QR code on the charging station. Lock car. Go get a coffee
  • Go to the EQ page in MBUX and start charging from there. Lock car. Go get a coffee

(In the 4th option above remember to get out of the car before locking it and getting a coffee)

Caveat to the above is I did once try using a (free/zero cost) slow charger at a supermarket whilst on holiday. Had no idea what to do so plugged the cables in and then waited by the charge point to watch for instructions. Nothing happened. The chap charging next to me said I need to download an app, register and then start the charging. I was about to do that and noticed the car was already accepting the charge! This was plug-and-charge at work again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts