Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
EQA
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got an EQA on order which is due to arrive next month and am wondering about the UV rating of the glass. I guess the UV rating would be similar amongst all EQ models.

I found some information that the front window filters nearly 100% of UV radiation, but am unable to find any information on the side windows. The rear side windows come tinted as standard and the front windows are untinted. So I'm wondering if the untinted front side windows filter UV to any appreciable degree. And ditto for the sunroof, which appears to be tinted and also has a sliding mesh shade.

I'd appreciate any answers on both the front side windows and the sunroof.

·
Registered
146 Posts
UVA light may not give immediate sunburn but can lead to skin changes like loss of elasticity, and this light is usually only partly blocked from getting through car's non-laminated windows, which for EQA I think is all windows except windshield, and might even bypass tinted windows that block visible light but not necessarily invisible UVA. Therefore you can use sun protection SPF products on your skin, or for an extra layer of protection you can get special UVA-block on your car's windows. You seem to be in New Zealand so if your Mercedes dealer doesn't do as an extra service then you could checkout Autotintz Nelson and they will come to you and tint your house too

·
Registered
EQA
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I'm in Australia. I'd rather not use skin protection creams for driving* and the dealer has offered optional tinting on the front side windows for around $500AUD so I might take them up on it, if it has a UV rating or SPF.

I believe that there are aftermarket sunshades for the Tesla's panoramic sunroof, so will investigate if similar is available for Mercedes, as I don't think the sliding mesh will be sufficient for the hot Australian sun.

* Sun cream destroyed my BMW's internal plastic finish around the door handles and sills some years ago.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for your reply and if using a third-party sun protection I would check reviews and warranty too or ask Mercedes advice as some of the heat-control ones I have heard in the past to shatter roof glass for example (not talking about Mercedes specifically). Not sure if that still happens but I could imagine other strange phenomena like the glass expanding (from heat) and retracting and eventually letting in water or something (pure speculation).

I have been using a modern extremely-well-absorbed sun cream that doesn't seem much different to moisturiser without any obvious trim damage though I am careful to remove excess from palms of hands for the reason you speak of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts