Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not an EQA owner but have its bigger brother EQC which makes all sorts of noises whether switched on or not. But I have heard nothing quite like that I would take it to your dealer and get them to have a look. There is some sort of brown liquid or stain on the cross member in the righthand of the picture is it just dirty water from the road or is the car trying to pump something which is leaking or has leaked hence the noise? Most of the noises I hear are clicks and whirrs and the occasional noise of water trickling through the system somehow. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Normally its the Heatpump making this noise when trying to warm up the compartment during cold weather...not a pretty sound for a premium car as Mercedes states to be but during cold weather only to live with it...it gets better during wormer weather conditions.. :)
(Not sure about other brands with heatpump if they also makes this terrible noise as well)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My EQA is around 8 weeks old . I had concerns with squeaky, jerky brakes and shuddering vipers. Sent it to the service station. The vipers are fixed , the squeaky noise is still there and a new, very loud screeching sound is now prominent. They said they've run all the checks and there is nothing wrong . I refused to bring the car back in that condition. They said they would do something about the screeching. Next morning I got a text saying the car was fixed. They told me I should drive the car for a few thousands of km and it should settle. I brought the car back but am finding it extremely embarrassing to drive it with all the noises that it's making. In my entire life I have never heard such sounds coming out of any car on the roads or have known any friends or family who've experienced something like this.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My EQA is around 8 weeks old . I had concerns with squeaky, jerky brakes and shuddering vipers. Sent it to the service station. The vipers are fixed , the squeaky noise is still there and a new, very loud screeching sound is now prominent. They said they've run all the checks and there is nothing wrong . I refused to bring the car back in that condition. They said they would do something about the screeching. Next morning I got a text saying the car was fixed. They told me I should drive the car for a few thousands of km and it should settle. I brought the car back but am finding it extremely embarrassing to drive it with all the noises that it's making. In my entire life I have never heard such sounds coming out of any car on the roads or have known any friends or family who've experienced something like this.
Goodday RDAus, interesting report. I find many noises are more noticeable because there is no engine idle noise to mask them but that is not the whole story -

SHUDDERING WIPERS I find can sometimes happen again from wax on the windscreen after car wash dries completely. So it is needed to remove wax, on windscreen area, after car wash as soon as possible- works for me anyway.

SQUEAKY BRAKES was helped also by preventing wax getting on brake calipers in another car I had to prevent squeaking, but more relevant for me is lack of brake use, so engaging the brake calipers instead of regenerative brake system helps me anyway. More information in this thread:

It also seems to takes practice/finesse to stop in a way that isn't jerky yet engages the brake calipers in a reasonably quiet way just before stopping completely, and the adaptive cruise control doesn't seem to do this as well as I learned to do myself interestingly. The adaptive cruise stopping can groan like a trumpet in certain situations even, in which case I stop car myself.

I wonder do you have the smaller (18" or 19") wheel size as I sometimes imagine the biggest (20") wheel option might be less jerky/bouncy coming to a stop. You will know that recommended tire pressure might help too (measured while tires are cold and compared to list inside charger cap - not measured with the app) as low pressure will be bouncier I find. Maybe the car design could be improved by have option of automatically stiffening suspension just before stopping though the relaxed suspension helps for relaxing ride quality I find while at speed. Dynamic mode instead of comfort mode seems to stiffen suspension a bit too, in EQC anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Goodday RDAus, interesting report. I find many noises are more noticeable because there is no engine idle noise to mask them but that is not the whole story -

SHUDDERING WIPERS I find can sometimes happen again from wax on the windscreen after car wash dries completely. So it is needed to remove wax, on windscreen area, after car wash as soon as possible- works for me anyway.

SQUEAKY BRAKES was helped also by preventing wax getting on brake calipers in another car I had to prevent squeaking, but more relevant for me is lack of brake use, so engaging the brake calipers instead of regenerative brake system helps me anyway. More information in this thread:

It also seems to takes practice/finesse to stop in a way that isn't jerky yet engages the brake calipers in a reasonably quiet way just before stopping completely, and the adaptive cruise control doesn't seem to do this as well as I learned to do myself interestingly. The adaptive cruise stopping can groan like a trumpet in certain situations even, in which case I stop car myself.

I wonder do you have the smaller (18" or 19") wheel size as I sometimes imagine the biggest (20") wheel option might be less jerky/bouncy coming to a stop. You will know that recommended tire pressure might help too (measured while tires are cold and compared to list inside charger cap - not measured with the app) as low pressure will be bouncier I find. Maybe the car design could be improved by have option of automatically stiffening suspension just before stopping though the relaxed suspension helps for relaxing ride quality I find while at speed. Dynamic mode instead of comfort mode seems to stiffen suspension a bit too, in EQC anyway.
Thanks for your input. I am still at a loss ...Mercedes Benz have said there is no issue and that I need to drive the vehicle....
The latest issue that's come to my attention is collection of water in the charging port. Yesterday was the first time the car was not under cover and it rained very heavily. I am too scared to charge it. Taking another day off from work tomorrow to take it to the dealership to show them.

Has anyone encountered something like this with their EQA or EQC?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for your input. I am still at a loss ...Mercedes Benz have said there is no issue and that I need to drive the vehicle....
The latest issue that's come to my attention is collection of water in the charging port. Yesterday was the first time the car was not under cover and it rained very heavily. I am too scared to charge it. Taking another day off from work tomorrow to take it to the dealership to show them.

Squeaking wiper blades are not a manufacturer issue as has been said before wax on the screen will cause this or indeed other pollutant build ups The blades and the screen should be cleaned and the problem will go away.
Squeaking brakes can also be caused by various contaiminants building up and BEV. are particuarly susceptible as they do not use the solely the friction brakes meaning build ups are not removed in the same way. Have you put the car through a car wash or washed it yourself with snow foam or similar? Central London was unbearable at times for me due to the constant squealing of the brakes of the famous London balck cab caused I assume by the brake dust that built up. Always put my teeth on edge! I hope using the car and perhaps a bit of deliberate sharp braking mayease the issue. Mine were sticking after being left overnight but that is less noticeable now (my other mercedes were the same) but it results in a very loud clunk as the brakes release.
Re water in the charging port yes I nearly always have some at the bottom of the type 2 connector which is on the prevailing weather side when it has been raining as the car has a slight lean to left (as you look at it from the rear) due to the ground leveland the water becomes trapped.But it is not an issue for me at all it is not enough to reach the pins which are quite deep and if the trap over the pins is closed that stops the build up, if the car is plugged in the water collects but the plug stops it getting into the pins. It is all quite safe I think and so far after 6mths is wet Normandie I have had no problems. I would not worry.

·
Registered
153 Posts
collection of water in the charging port.
How much water are we talking? Here's how my EQC looks after I've washed it. I've never been too concerned because nothing that matters is wet. I just give it a quick wipe with a rag. DC chargers in Aus are almost never under cover, so sooner or later on a roadtrip, you're going to have to charge during rain. In that case I make sure I've got the charger's "nozzle" in hand ready to go before I open the inner flaps.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I am the owner of EQA 250 as well and I have been facing these same issues since the day I bought the vehicle. Where did you get the car from and can we connect to discuss more about that. My car remained with Mercedes after I told them about the break squeaking noises for nearly a month and they worked on it and told me that they have replaced the breaks or something in the breaks but then again same issue came up now they have my car again. Same thing is wiper they have replaced the wipers for me and the noise is now minimal. They also told me that there is another EQA that came with nearly same issue. I think Mercedes needs to do something about this.

The guy who was telling that this is because there is no engine so you hear more noises needs to drive Tesla or any other EVs in the market none of them has this kind of issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have the same issue in my EQA 250

After taking it back to the dealership 3 times and even changing the brake pads they said it’s normal for EQAs to do this, If anything it’s embarrassing I really love the car but a car that costs over 40.000€ shouldn’t be doing this (reminds me of a violin). I have found that if you put the car into neutral while driving along and braking hard a few times the issue will disappear but will come back once the car has been parked a few hours.

If I don’t find a fix soon I’ll have to sell the car, they told me the EQBs and EQC have the same issue.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I also have the same issue in my EQA 250

After taking it back to the dealership 3 times and even changing the brake pads they said it’s normal for EQAs to do this, If anything it’s embarrassing I really love the car but a car that costs over 40.000€ shouldn’t be doing this (reminds me of a violin). I have found that if you put the car into neutral while driving along and braking hard a few times the issue will disappear but will come back once the car has been parked a few hours.

If I don’t find a fix soon I’ll have to sell the car, they told me the EQBs and EQC have the same issue.
My EQC has no problems with brake noises though they will stick sometimes when parked overnight or for a longer period but my ICE
Mercedes have all been the same. I use d auto all the time.
E class did have a problem with juddering brakes from a forum discussion I followed and that is an issue that occurs in other brands too and is related to driver use inc style of driving and conditions the car is used in (stop start, heavy traffic frequent hard braking etc). Sadly I suspect it is the personal specifics throwing up your issues but I have not seen it as a major issue anywhere else. Your occasional hard braking resolving the matter indicates a dust build up issue like the old London taxis I previously mentioned. Do you live in a dusty dry environment and does damp weather make it better or worse?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My EQC has no problems with brake noises though they will stick sometimes when parked overnight or for a longer period but my ICE
Mercedes have all been the same. I use d auto all the time.
E class did have a problem with juddering brakes from a forum discussion I followed and that is an issue that occurs in other brands too and is related to driver use inc style of driving and conditions the car is used in (stop start, heavy traffic frequent hard braking etc). Sadly I suspect it is the personal specifics throwing up your issues but I have not seen it as a major issue anywhere else. Your occasional hard braking resolving the matter indicates a dust build up issue like the old London taxis I previously mentioned. Do you live in a dusty dry environment and does damp weather make it better or worse?
i live in the Canary Islands it’s always dry here, I’m guessing the car just doesn’t use them enough to keep them clean

·
Registered
EQA 300
87 Posts
I have never had any problems with my EQA making untoward noises. My brakes can make a groaning noise if I use them to stop the car rolling in a tight space while I also have my foot on the accelerator, eg when I am parking or going into my garage but in normal use they’re silent. I would think if mine is like that there’s no reason they can’t all be like that.
I know there can be a squealing noise from some motorbike disc brakes that was cured by applying a smear of copper grease to the piston side of the pads, it may be the same with cars.

·
Registered
EQA 300
87 Posts
Here is how the car sounds

It’s hard to know what’s going on there, (with all the groaning and stuff are you sure there’s not an orgy in the back seats!!;)) are you pressing the accelerator at the same time as the brake pedal In that film? I do that sometimes in a tight situation, using the accelerator to move the car at the same time as using the brake like a clutch for fine control of the car movement ( a practice that’s officially frowned upon) and that can produce something similar ( it maybe causes a conflict with the regeneration system, although I’ve had these noises from the brakes on a forklift with a torque converter transmission also while pressing both pedals at the same time) but using the brake pedal on its own doesn’t produce any noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s hard to know what’s going on there, (with all the groaning and stuff are you sure there’s not an orgy in the back seats!!;)) are you pressing the accelerator at the same time as the brake pedal In that film? I do that sometimes in a tight situation, using the accelerator to move the car at the same time as using the brake like a clutch for fine control of the car movement ( a practice that’s officially frowned upon) and that can produce something similar ( it maybe causes a conflict with the regeneration system, although I’ve had these noises from the brakes on a forklift with a torque converter transmission also while pressing both pedals at the same time) but using the brake pedal on its own doesn’t produce any noise.
nope just putting it in gear letting it roll and pressing the brake, I don’t even think the regen kicks in at those speeds whenever the brakes have to bring the car to a full stop it makes that noise, the first noise in the video is the car releasing the parking brake once I put it into gear

1 - 20 of 26 Posts