Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
EQA 300
74 Posts
It could be a squeak from the suspension but you would expect to get that going over bumps without braking, it does sound quite like the motorbike brake pad squeal which was caused by the movement of the pad against the calliper piston under braking. As I said that was easily cured by the application of brake grease to the back of the pads. I’ve always put copper grease on the back and sides (keeping it away from the friction material) of all my brake pads whenever I have them off. Like I said my EQA has never made the noise yours has so there’s absolutely no reason yours can’t be quiet too.

·
Registered
EQA 300
74 Posts
There’s another possibility, if the noise wasn’t there to start with and has just appeared, the brake pads could be glazed. This is more likely on an EV due to regeneration meaning the brakes are not used as much especially if D- (or D- -) settings have been used a lot. I was aware of that possibility and for the first 50 miles or so I used D+ and braked more often and maybe harder than normal to bed the pads in. Solution is to remove pads and see if the friction surfaces look polished then either roughen them or replace them and run them in better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There’s another possibility, if the noise wasn’t there to start with and has just appeared, the brake pads could be glazed. This is more likely on an EV due to regeneration meaning the brakes are not used as much especially if D- (or D- -) settings have been used a lot. I was aware of that possibility and for the first 50 miles or so I used D+ and braked more often and maybe harder than normal to bed the pads in. Solution is to remove pads and see if the friction surfaces look polished then either roughen them or replace them and run them in better.
The dealership said the same thing, and they replaced all 4 pads 2 weeks ago no improvement, they then suggested I should change all 4 brake discs and I said no way a few days later he called saying it’s an issue with most EQAs apparently another 10 or so owners have complained and they don’t seem to have a solution, he suggested softer brake pads but they would need to be changed every 12.000km? I have a feeling my dealership has very little experience with EVs because he suggested that I may have washed the car while the brake discs were hot ( That would have been a great excuse for when I had my C63 ) but the brake discs on the EQA have never been hot to the touch. Putting the car into D+ doesn’t stop the regen when you tap the brake pedal the only way I have managed is by putting the car into neutral that’s what I have been doing for the past week to try and bed these new pads in better, I have also been looking into that paste that can be applied behind the pad to stop the vibration because that’s what is happening it’s just the pads and the rotors vibrating and making a sound, I haven’t really driven the car this week because I’m so disappointed about the lack of a solution so I have just been driving my Audi Q3.

·
Registered
EQA 300
74 Posts
I would agree with you on not replacing discs, especially since there’s no proof that’s what the problem is and you may replace one lot of bad discs with another lot of bad discs. If, as it would seem, Mercedes has a problem with a faulty lot of brake components, its up to them to replace the parts. Have you any way of raising the issue with Mercedes directly, over the head of the dealer?
Your dealer should be aware of copper grease as it’s been used for years for this job and really should have put some on when they replaced the pads, it only needs a smear, it could be worth checking on that. Alternatively if you can do it yourself ( ’though you shouldn’t really have to) it’s a simple job.
It’s a shame your car is being spoiled by this as the EQA is a really nice car when all’s well.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts