Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had the EQS 450 4Matic SUV for only a week and the cowl area was already filled with Fall leaves. After struggling to remove them I decided to explore how to open the hood. There is a small plastic panel covering the red hood release. This panel can be pried open on the inboard edge. It will hinge down on the outboard edge. Pulling the red hood release will pop the hood open like on any other car.

There is no safety release on the front edge of the hood. It can simply be lifted up. There are no gas struts to help lift the hood and keep it in the open position. The hood can be lifted to a complete vertical position. I did not try to latch it into the vertical position since the hood is difficult for one person to handle.

Opening the hood facilitates clearing out the leaves. Until I figure out how to safely prop the hood open I will clean out the leaves with the help of another person. I noticed that there are some ball-tipped pins on either side of the hood. I am hopeful that the gas struts from another Mercedes will fit in the EQS.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a post on YouTube showing how to open the hood of the EQS sedan. That video indicated that the plastic latch cover was held in place by an Allen screw. So remove the screw before you try any prying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is a post on YouTube showing how to open the hood of the EQS sedan. That video indicated that the plastic latch cover was held in place by an Allen screw. So remove the screw before you try any prying.
The sedan must be different. In the SUV, the cover pops open with almost no effort. As shown in that video there are no hood struts to help lift the hood and hold it open. There is a ball stud on the hinge assembly and an M8x1.25 threaded hole on the inner fender for a second ball stud. I ordered a pair of struts and two stainless steel ball studs. It's probably going to take a few attempts to get hood struts that work correctly.

When I complete the project in a couple of weeks I will post the part numbers and a link to the supplier I am working with to identify suitable hood struts. I suspect that one from another Mercedes vehicle would work but I doubt if the dealer parts department would help recommend one.

Edit 1-Dec-2022: As it turns out the EQS SUV also has a provision to secure the flap concealing the hood release with a screw. However, the screw was missing in my particular vehicle. It may have been inadvertently left out after the dealer did some pre-delivery work under the hood.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I learned something about Mercedes hood hinges today. I was gently lowering the hood until it was resting just above the closed position and then gently pressing it closed.

Sometime later I realized that the gap between the front edge of the hood and the headlight was noticeably larger on the passenger side than it was on the driver's side. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the entire passenger side edge of the hood was raised all the way back to the A-pillar. I did some research on other MB forums and learned that the double jointed design of the hood hinges was prone to cause the hood to be misaligned if the hood is gently closed. The solution described in posts over five years old is completely non-intuitive. Let the hood slam shut.

I raised the front edge of the hood about 12 inches and dropped it letting it slam shut. The alignment self-corrected after one attempt.

I am relieved to know that I don't have to return to the dealer and admit that I have opened the hood and that I am currently trying to identify suitable hood struts to keep the hood open for routine maintenance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completed the hood strut project today. I studied the websites of a few different hood strut suppliers and decided to work with Lift Supports Depot since their website included very detailed specs on hundreds of hood struts.

I ordered two stainless steel 10mm ball studs to install into the M8x1.25 threaded holes in the top of the inner front fenders. I picked up a couple of M8 stainless steel washers from the local hardware store to use with the threaded ball studs. Using the washers eliminates the possibility of the points of the hex on the ball stud scratching the paint while the ball studs are installed.

I ordered a pair of PM3663N10S hood struts with compact 10mm ball sockets on both ends. I believe that the ball studs at the top and bottom ends of the struts used on most hoods are oriented so that they are parallel to each other. In the EQS SUV the top ball stud points outward and the bottom ball stud points upwards. The ball sockets on the end of the struts can be rotated around the ball stud 360 degrees, but the upward travel is limited to about 20 degrees before the ball socket binds on the ball stud. The struts are available with various ball socket ends. None of the ball sockets sold with the struts can swivel to the required angle of about 45 degrees. Fortunately, Lift Supports Depot offers an optional 10mm close swivel angle claw ball socket which allows the strut to be lifted to a steeper angle.

The extended length of the PM3663N10S strut is 16.11". The compressed length is 9.84" and the force rating for the strut is 90 pounds. I also ordered another strut with an extended length of 17", compressed length of 10.25" and a force rating of 120 pounds.

I installed the longer 17" struts first. With these struts it was difficult for me to reach the front edge of the raised hood, and the 120 pound force made it very difficult to close the hood with both struts installed. I could close the hood with one strut in place. I then tried the 16" struts with the lower 90 pound rating and they work well.

Here are links to the Lift Supports Depot part numbers I used for this modification.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very happy with the outcome of this hood strut project. Now I can safely open the hood to easily clean out leaves and other debris around the windshield as well as in the area of the HEPA filter intake.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

1 - 9 of 9 Posts