Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience charging their car using an adapter (compatible with a Tesla charging cable) ? I’ve looked at the product on TeslaTap 50 amp and mini 60 amp online — and reviews look good. Thought I’d check first.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have no use for, but cannot see why it shouldn't generally work. It's not ideal though, for example one issue is if relying on this adaptor while arriving to a parking spot marked with Tesla Only signage, or if on rare occasion the destination charger is software-limited to Tesla cars only, or a Tesla driver gets triggered.

TeslaTap Mini Adapter feedback?

Another issue is if not bothered to decouple the adaptor at home, then you will apparently need find a way to reholster the cable outside of the charger's built-in holster. Another issue is needing a second adaptor to carry with you for hotels.

Again not insurmountable or maybe not even relevant issues, but it is not completely 100% simple. General advice seems to be don't get the lower amp ones though, especially the 40amp.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Also worth checking is if the Tesla cable will easily reach the EQ charging port if it is on the other side of the car or something. I had a Tesla charger years ago but the cable was too short to reach around to the new port location on the EQC. I was wary of using extension cable and the official Tesla installer couldn't/wouldn't help me so I replaced the entire charger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts