Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
i have owned my EQC now for 4 months and generally very happy with the car.
I have a 7kw home charger which works fine for my daily commute into London.
However last week was the first time i ventured out on a longer trip and had to use
public charge points going from London to Bristol. We tried 5x different public chargers
on the M4 and could only find one that worked! which added 3 hours to my journey as was
only a 11kw public charger.[4x that did not work were 7kw, 2x 22kw and 50kw]
To be honest i would not consider now using the EQC now on longer journeys
where public charging required as the network is too fragmented and unreliable.
if i could ask the powers that be that are in charge of UK public chargers ....Why are not all public
chargers a minium of 50kw? and basic tap and go card payment rather than some poxy app to down load for different networks etc etc. Tesla have blown mercedes out of the water with there super charger
network and i can only see greater problems around the corner as merecedes and other car makers bring on more EQ models.
i would summarize....EQC is a great car working with a terrible UK Public charging network!

please let me know other peoples experiences with public charging.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought that the Mercedes me charge card got around the problem of all the different charging companies or are there still many not covered?
Am still waiting delivery of my EQC but France seems much better sorted than the U.K. and many bornes are actually local government controlled and maintained and our local government works here. We might have to pay our taxes but we do see returns. I am aware however that some of the private company fast chargers seem to have issues but not Ionity. But who knows I might find out that real life is different to perceptions!
Did you use the car navigation system to plan the trip and were you looking just for smaller top ups on the way or a major top up after emptying the battery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mercedes me charge card only works on some networks in the UK and to be honest I gave up trying to use the card previously as this was also unreliable due in part to the number of different charging
networks here and the card not recognizing the ones it should do[Very frustrating]. Even the main dealer could not make sense of the charge card.
On my long journey I only needed to top up 100 miles and used car planner to find me different service stations along the way, but 4 out of 5 chargers that should of been working were broken. I even waited for other drivers to attempt to charge but they also pulled away without charging.
Put it this way we went on another longer journey at the weekend and we took my partners 1.4 petrol golf as i have no faith in the UK public charging network at the moment..

When i discussed the above with my Mercedes main dealer a few days ago he mentioned Ionity public chargers but also said they have very few Rapid chargers installed in the UK at present! [lol]

I just thought a company of Merecedes standing would of thought through the public charging situation better and perhaps gone down the Tesla super charger
route which apparently is a much better experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mercedes me charge card only works on some networks in the UK and to be honest I gave up trying to use the card previously as this was also unreliable due in part to the number of different charging
networks here and the card not recognizing the ones it should do[Very frustrating]. Even the main dealer could not make sense of the charge card.
On my long journey I only needed to top up 100 miles and used car planner to find me different service stations along the way, but 4 out of 5 chargers that should of been working were broken. I even waited for other drivers to attempt to charge but they also pulled away without charging.
Put it this way we went on another longer journey at the weekend and we took my partners 1.4 petrol golf as i have no faith in the UK public charging network at the moment..

When i discussed the above with my Mercedes main dealer a few days ago he mentioned Ionity public chargers but also said they have very few Rapid chargers installed in the UK at present! [lol]

I just thought a company of Merecedes standing would of thought through the public charging situation better and perhaps gone down the Tesla super charger
route which apparently is a much better experience.
That is very dispiriting to read. Yes I thought Mercedes me charge was pretty smart all the reviewers raved about how it simplified the system. Hey ho I might get a shock then but looking at the Mercedes me charge maps and assuming that the chargers shown are ones affiliated (maybe a fatally flawed assumption) it seems as if all the dept chargers are covered. I shall find out no doubt. It seems to me the Tesla approach is what is keeping them at the head of the game bit like Apple by controlling the ecosystem. I did not consider Tesla as the cars seem less well constructed and to be honest the model 3 is positively ugly to my eyes inside and out though the EQC is not my top choice as I am not an SUV lover. I am semi retired so myslef and my partner have no need of a second car so the EQC will be our only mode of transport. Like you day to day use will be fine but taking longer journeys sounds as if they may prove less enjoyable but France has been gearing up for some time albeit it is by no means completed yet.
From my exploration on the navigation it does seem that here the live state of the bornes are shown ie occupied working not working is it the same in the U.K.? I really share your frustration as someone about to jump with both feet into the world of electric. I am doing it because I feel I should for the future generations and I would like to convince my sceptical friends it works and they should also think of getting rid of their polluting cars if it proves as difficult as you are experiencing there is no chance I will convince them☹

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sadly there does not seem to be a lot of traffic on this site. Have just posted under the Ionity post on a 250km (500km return) trip this week I passed 2 services with Ionity chargers 4 in each set up all working none occupied so I am hopeful France will prove more electric car friendly for motorway trips at least. There was also a local gov charger in the tourist town I stayed (a small place) but the hotel disapppunted with no proper type 2 wallbox.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts