Mercedes EQ All Electric Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I’ve done about 3.5k miles with my EQC and have had several incidents of variation in brake feel / brake application. Sometimes the pedal is solid but when pressed I get limited braking other times I’ve had the pedal lightly touched and the ABS has kicked in.
Fue yo lock cow. I’ve not bothered taking it back to the dealer but do intend to, I’d be interested to hear if others are experiencing this.
thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi all.
I’ve done about 3.5k miles with my EQC and have had several incidents of variation in brake feel / brake application. Sometimes the pedal is solid but when pressed I get limited braking other times I’ve had the pedal lightly touched and the ABS has kicked in.
Fue yo lock cow. I’ve not bothered taking it back to the dealer but do intend to, I’d be interested to hear if others are experiencing this.
thx
Hi @Henliston, does the braking change at all or is it just how the pedal feels?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @Henliston, does the braking change at all or is it just how the pedal feels?
Hi,
The brakes change, the pedal can be hard but the brakes aren’t being applied aggressively , other times the pedal is soft and the abs kicks in as soon as you touch the pedal
It’s not all the time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, i have had similar, but limited experience in the first 165 miles!! I've noticed the brake feel can go very solid - any almost any speed. But the one that "woke me up" was going down a steep hill (in sport) with traffic in front - i was pressing hard and the pedal was solid - the car did slow down and came to a nice stop...so i'm not sure if there's some radar/safety thing/regen thing all working there that i need more education on. It was definitely disconcerting - and one or two youtube reviewers have mentioned brake feel being a bit "meh".

I just need to be alert enough to try and "trap out" what settings, cars in front etc etc to try and describe it.
I'm sure i got it again tonight stood tail to tail in very slow moving traffic.

It doesn't feel like the brakes travel on a sports car and you've got nothing (after thrashing round a track..or country roads for a couple of hours hard!) it just goes solid under foot, and quickly returns to "normal" when setting off again. I wouldn't want to say that braking was affected or not at this stage - but your sense of "doing" something definitely is detached when it occurs and i think is something you'd definitely want to be aware of...or ideally mercedes patching the software for it.

Id be just a little worried if my wife hadn't be told about it, and found herself in the same situation as i think she'd have panicked a bit. I have to say, day to day driving in comfort it's not given me any other "wake up moments" since - just beautiful smooth driving.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i have had similar, but limited experience in the first 165 miles!! I've noticed the brake feel can go very solid - any almost any speed. But the one that "woke me up" was going down a steep hill (in sport) with traffic in front - i was pressing hard and the pedal was solid - the car did slow down and came to a nice stop...so i'm not sure if there's some radar/safety thing/regen thing all working there that i need more education on. It was definitely disconcerting - and one or two youtube reviewers have mentioned brake feel being a bit "meh".

I just need to be alert enough to try and "trap out" what settings, cars in front etc etc to try and describe it.
I'm sure i got it again tonight stood tail to tail in very slow moving traffic.

It doesn't feel like the brakes travel on a sports car and you've got nothing (after thrashing round a track..or country roads for a couple of hours hard!) it just goes solid under foot, and quickly returns to "normal" when setting off again. I wouldn't want to say that braking was affected or not at this stage - but your sense of "doing" something definitely is detached when it occurs and i think is something you'd definitely want to be aware of...or ideally mercedes patching the software for it.

Id be just a little worried if my wife hadn't be told about it, and found herself in the same situation as i think she'd have panicked a bit. I have to say, day to day driving in comfort it's not given me any other "wake up moments" since - just beautiful smooth driving.
Thx, really interesting to hear that you’ve experienced exactly the same issue. I’m booking it into the dealer to have a look at but I suspect they’ll find nothing.
people need to be aware of this as it’s certainly unnerving.
thx

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a little "play" this morning, and i'm sure it is linked to the distance/safety braking feature actually with traffic in front. Have you noticed it in traffic/sharp bend? I feel like the car is taking the brake away from you a little, but would need to turn off all the safety kit and give it another run on the way home tonight...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had a little "play" this morning, and i'm sure it is linked to the distance/safety braking feature actually with traffic in front. Have you noticed it in traffic/sharp bend? I feel like the car is taking the brake away from you a little, but would need to turn off all the safety kit and give it another run on the way home tonight...
I haven’t noticed it in traffic, I have noticed it on windy roads. I’ve noticed it more on bumpy roads and was concerned it was a loose electrical connection but I can drive down the same road numerous times and everything is ok then randomly it will feel different
interesting to hear about your investigations.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What is everyone's build date? @Henliston, @GuitarSlinger

If this is an actual issue (which I'm sure it is), then this info can help us figure out a pattern going on well ahead of when Mercedes decides to make it official via a recall or technical service bulletin (TSB).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got my car in October but who knows when it was actually built as it could have sat in the factory for weeks due to lockdown.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC Premium plus
9 Posts
I got my car in October but who knows when it was actually built as it could have sat in the factory for weeks due to lockdown.
My car is a November registration model but again not sure of the actual build date. I also notice this where the pedal feels different at times but doesn’t really bother me that much tbh.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I found another case of someone having issues with their brakes on YouTube.

I've had a problem with a breaks failing during emergency breaking. I have noticed this since having the car. Also there waa a problem with the battery usage and life. I have used the car for two months and during that period it has had two diagnostic services from Mercedes. Both diagnostics did not show any issues or problems however shortly after this my car had to be towed away from a motorway to a service. Only then I found out that the car has a faulty battery. It took them 1,5 months to change the battery. Unfortunately the issue with the failing breaks is still not showing up on the checks. I m paying for a car I can't even use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can readily find out the build date of your cars from the Mercedes on line VIN checker
Mercedes VIN Decoder | Decode Your Mercedes-Benz VIN. Just find you vin no in Mercedes me (vehicle information) or on the drivers B post sticker and the checker will show up all the vehicle data inc the options and the release and delivery dates. The delivery date is when it left the factory I am not sure if the release date is when the build started or when it came off the production line but anyway it will help you identify the month of build. I have always had my Mercedes made to order and buying from stock is not common here as it is in the states and it seems U.K. we still do not have the buy online facility Mercedes have set up in the U.K. albeit most of my early investigations were done by email with my garage. But I still had to go in person to sign the order but we do have some funny systems here anyway when signing contracts like signing every page🤣hope this helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had my car into the dealers earlier this week to look at the variable brake feeling but they didn’t find anything wrong ( which was no surprise as it only happens now and then). I’ll just keep monitoring it. 🧐

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this exact same problem. I tend to find it only happens when i have regen on -- setting. It doesnt happen all the time but sometimes the peddle is rock solid and it feels as if I cant push any further with the car not seemingly slowing down any quicker regadless of how hard I push the peddle - its as if theres a brick under the peddle where i cant push it further. I also get occasions where the slightest touch of the peddle will result in a grinding noise along with a pulsing feedback from the peddle as if the abs has kicked it. The tyre feels like it is skidding too. I have contacted mercedes to check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ive had my car into Merc but they sid there was nothing wrong - tried to tell me it was only the region but its definitely not the region kicking in; the also explained that I need to keep the screen / proximity sensor clear - rain or frost could effect the braking - quite condescending ( I'm a chartered engineer (avionics) so fairly conversant with digital systems.
Will keep monitoring the issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had my car into Merc but they sid there was nothing wrong - tried to tell me it was only the region but its definitely not the region kicking in; the also explained that I need to keep the screen / proximity sensor clear - rain or frost could effect the braking - quite condescending ( I'm a chartered engineer (avionics) so fairly conversant with digital systems.
Will keep monitoring the issue
Hi all.
thx
Hi I’ve had the car 6 months, what a mistake!!!
The screen needed to be replaced after months of it going blank in use. Battery life terrible, especially in cold weather. I had the Mercedes come out as I’ve always suspected breaks not good. They said they are fine!! They are slow and grind to the floor when you break suddenly. What can we do about this?? Somebody is going to get hurt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I’ve had the car 6 months, what a mistake!!!
The screen needed to be replaced after months of it going blank in use. Battery life terrible, especially in cold weather. I had the Mercedes come out as I’ve always suspected breaks not good. They said they are fine!! They are slow and grind to the floor when you break suddenly. What can we do about this?? Somebody is going to get hurt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn’t even know this forum existed until I googled this morning out of desperation to see if others were having breaking issues, I’m so glad that I did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if there is a body of evidence (which I think this thread is showing there is) then we need to write to MB directly - not local dealers who just say there is no issue. Alternatively, approaching media (What car, Auto or similar to see if they would do an article on this issue me be a way ahead

1 - 20 of 23 Posts